PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Gun Shop Reloading Press

zazerbe
10-27-2016, 10:56 PM
Hello everyone. I am very new to the gun world and hoping to also get into the reloading world as well. I was given an old (at the very least 30+ years old) Hollywood Senior Turret Reloading Press recently. I took it to a reloading shop in my area and the gentleman who owns the shop said it would definitely be worth my time/effort to clean it and get it up and running again. He is pretty certain that I have all of the the dies to reload 12ga. After I cleaned it he said it looked really good and all parts seem to be working fine. While he was familiar with the history of the Hollywood Gun Shop and Presses he is not familiar with the operation of them and was just not sure how to set up the dies to get it up and running. Last thing he wanted to do was steer me in the wrong direction. Looked all over the web looking for possible pdfs of old manuals or instructions and checked for any tutorial videos on how to set up or run the press with zero luck. Wrote a post on another forum with calguns, and someone suggested I check castboolits for help. He mentioned a Ken "Pressman" might have knowledge of these old presses. If anyone out there knows about these presses or even Ken (or Ken if you come across this post) please let me know. I would really like to get this press running again as it used to belong to my grandfather. I appreciate any help in my endeavor. Take care

ulav8r
10-27-2016, 11:31 PM
Wrong forum, you will be more apt to find this info if you post it in the "Reloading Equipment" forum a little further down on the home page.

Oyeboten
10-27-2016, 11:37 PM
Post some good images of the Press...and, whatever Dies you have.

fast ronnie
10-28-2016, 12:29 AM
From what I've heard, Hollywoods are pretty good presses.

Shawlerbrook
10-28-2016, 05:23 AM
From what I've heard, Hollywoods are pretty good presses.
and usually very expensive!

Pressman
10-28-2016, 05:27 AM
Zazerbe, You really are a "green horn" and there is nothing wrong with that, we were all there at one time. So, let's start at the beginning. You have a good, even great press for loading rifle and pistol cartridges with. You didn't say what your reloading goals are, rifle, pistol or just shotshell.

If you want to attempt to load shotshells on it that is a different matter and I would advise that you have some general reloading experience before attempting that.

Hollywood did not publish any detailed instructions for their press, at least none seemed to have survived. Hollywood, Lachmiller and Herter's all used the same die system in their efforts to load shotshells on a cartridge press. I have information that can help you understand how the press is setup and the steps you need to follow.

send me an email at: herters@netins.net and we can talk more. I really want you to get off on the right foot.

Ken

zazerbe
10-28-2016, 12:06 PM
Wrong forum, you will be more apt to find this info if you post it in the "Reloading Equipment" forum a little further down on the home page.

Yeah. New to the whole forum world also. I'll check that forum as well. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mossy Oak
11-05-2016, 07:33 AM
zazerbe,
Pressman is giving you good advice, and he is a good guy also, I've known Ken for a long time. The Hollywood Press is built like a tank, and I would venture to say there is nothing wrong with it. I have a few Hollywood dies and they are fine quality. You have a piece of reloading history there.

sydney
12-10-2016, 09:28 PM
HI--I to have a Hollywood press that I have used for many years
Over the years it has got dried oil ect and looks grimy
Would like to take it apart and do a good cleaning
Anyone know the best way to do this??
Thanks sydney

skeettx
12-10-2016, 11:02 PM
Hollywoods are fun

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j452/skeettx/MVC-010S.jpg