PDA

View Full Version : nicholson files

Chill Wills
10-27-2016, 05:52 PM
Has anyone found an available brand to compare?

Ever since Nicholson moved across the southern border I hear the steel quality or hardness has gone down.

I just picked up three Nicholson files yesterday. I have not used them yet. Not much selection local and it was a purchase out of need. I would be willing to get some better files if I was sure whose brand to trust.

scb
10-27-2016, 06:01 PM
I always liked these just as well as Nicholson. Don't know if they're still made here or not. Haven't bought a lot of file sense I got out of gun work 19 years ago.
http://www.simondsint.com/handfiles/Pages/Default.aspx

Chill Wills
10-27-2016, 09:53 PM
thanks SCB ! That turned out to be a good link. Not only do they have files but other products I need from time to time.
I will give their Long Angle Lathe file a try if I can see where to order it.

JWT
10-27-2016, 10:05 PM
I have Simonds and Nicholson. I find them to be comparable.

Chill Wills
10-27-2016, 10:55 PM
JWT - would that be the old USA or the new Mexican Nicholson you find comparable?

quail4jake
10-27-2016, 11:01 PM
I know that Nicholson and Simonds are not as hard as I'd like but they're fine for brass, iron etc. If you need a real hard 6" flat file try one of the Swedish files sold by Stihl dealers for cutting the depth gauges on Stihl saw chain, they cut pretty hard steel.

Chill Wills
10-27-2016, 11:08 PM
INteresting. I have one in my saw kit. It does not get much but for the rakers. That would be a good size to have a frew around.
But I am looking for a large lathe file to replace the one I have and a thin 6" saw file. The... I have project in O-1 that needs a good file.

JWT
10-27-2016, 11:09 PM
I would say neither are as good as the 40yr old files I have from my Dad and Grandfather. On the newer files I think the Simonds is a bit better. I don't have too many size/shape duplicates so I don't have a good head to head comparison.

JWT - would that be the old USA or the New Mexico Nicholson you find comparable?

Chill Wills
10-27-2016, 11:14 PM
OK thanks. Good to know about the choice. If I can locate a source, shouldn't be hard, I will try the Simonds.

samari46
10-27-2016, 11:27 PM
I've a bunch of files. Nicholson, Simmonds and a few Grobet. Have had them for over 25 years so maybe its a safe guess that all of them are made in the USA with the exception of the Grobet. Frank

Traffer
10-28-2016, 01:08 AM
There is a second hand store near my house that has from time to time old files. Usually around $.50 apiece. I have bought about a dozen old very good files from there. (Mostly Nicholson's but many of the old files were just as good).
There is a hardware store near me that had hundreds of US made Nicholson's that they still had price from the 70's and 80's. Fortunately for them they realized what they had and went and changed the prices. Like so many things "they just don't make em like they used to"

leftiye
10-28-2016, 04:50 AM
I know that Nicholson and Simonds are not as hard as I'd like but they're fine for brass, iron etc. If you need a real hard 6" flat file try one of the Swedish files sold by Stihl dealers for cutting the depth gauges on Stihl saw chain, they cut pretty hard steel.

Probly Sandvik. Good stuff too.

akajun
10-28-2016, 08:25 AM
Grobet is still made in Europe.
Also believe it or not there is actually a file sharpening service. A few guys on a machinist board have sent old Nicholson files to be sharpened and were very pleased.

Chill Wills
10-28-2016, 08:51 AM
Grobet is still made in Europe.
Also believe it or not there is actually a file sharpening service. A few guys on a machinist board have sent old Nicholson files to be sharpened and were very pleased.

Then there is this 'dip in drano' way. I have not tried it, in fact I do not even know the details of how to go about it but I hear it works to some degree. It is on a u-tube video or two if you have any interest.

smokeywolf
10-28-2016, 10:23 AM
Pretty sure all the best brands have been mentioned.

I have probably near 100 files. I don't think any are of a different brand than Nicholson, Simonds, Sandvik or Grobet.

waksupi
10-28-2016, 12:28 PM
http://boggstool.com/

I send mine to Bogg's for sharpening. When they come back, you send the payment. They are VERY sharp when returned, sharper than new.

nicholst55
10-28-2016, 01:18 PM
http://boggstool.com/

I send mine to Bogg's for sharpening. When they come back, you send the payment. They are VERY sharp when returned, sharper than new.

What's the price for sharpening a used file?

leeggen
10-28-2016, 03:34 PM
Dad worked at the Nich. plant in Anderson, In. They were at that time a familly oreinted company. It had been handed down for several generations. You can search and find a history on them. They made several different comp. name files. Guess I never heard about a place resharpening files. That is quite a unique idea. They sure did make a quality file at one time, but as most companies they seem to have lost some quality.
CD

corbinace
10-28-2016, 04:05 PM
http://boggstool.com/attachments/Image/filepricelist2.jpg

Chill Wills
10-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Wow! Thanks to all for posting.

Boggs website just got bookmarked. Both new files of all brands and types and the resharping service which I will try with my fathers drawer of 50-75 year old files; All of them old American steel...

Thanks again!

oldred
10-29-2016, 09:21 PM
On Waksupi's advice a while back I tried Boggs service and couldn't be happier, highly recommend it if your files are just dull. As to quality I think most folks just automatically suspect anything that has been moved off-shore or South of the boarder but I have many Nicholson files of both USA and Mexican make and honestly I cant see any difference. I use my files a LOT even to completely contouring and shaping the external finish of my SS rifle receivers from rough sawn blanks, my files are important tools to me and so far anyway the Mexican files have served well. My real favorite however is Grobet, I really like the way they cut and their ability to resist loading of the teeth plus the excellent finish they leave. Still most of my files are Nicholson from 16" down to 4" in various styles plus several different styles of riffler files but again Grobet is by far the very best in rifflers and most of my rifflers are Grobet. Long angle lathe files are VERY handy for much more than just lathe use, these things will remove material every bit as fast a double cut file and leave a much smoother finish but it's a bit tricky at first use them for regular filing jobs. They act differently than a regular file and must be held at a seemingly odd angle for a file but once a person gets the hang of it they are a real trick! For jobs like draw filing a barrel they are the only thing I use anymore, their tendency not to clog and smoothly shave off the metal means a heck of a lot less sanding to remove scratches before polishing and they have been a real work saver for me.