PDA

View Full Version : Going to try a new Remlin

snowwolfe
10-27-2016, 10:03 AM
Owned three of the "JM" Marlins during the early 2000's and each one was a piece of ****. I had pretty much sworn off buying another. But now I keep on reading how Remington has improved the machinery and is producing good rifles so thought its time to try one.
Yesterday ordered one of these:
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/bigbore/1895GBL.asp

I like the stainless version better and it had a nice sight rail already installed. But it was about $300 more so decided the rail could be added later if I decided to. Buds had a good price on these, $569 with free shipping. It will take a couple of weeks to receive it but I'll post a mini review once it arrives.

OverMax
10-27-2016, 11:15 AM
Good for you. 45-70 will keep you busy matching up what shoots the best than all the rest. (bullet weights)
Marlin has had some troubles Sure. But?~which gun manufacture hasn't suffered some sort of temporary set back lately.
I'm pretty sure you'll be pleased with your purchase. "I know I would certainly be"

After the first of the year Henry will debut its new single shot models. Like you snowwolfe a 45-70 is my intended buy too.

seaboltm
10-27-2016, 12:04 PM
I bought my Remlin 1895 brand new in the box for $385. I credit the low price to bad press. My experience is very positive. Nice enough, accurate enough, well made enough. I have no complaints.

KReider477
10-27-2016, 12:26 PM
I have a brand new 1895 that Marlin has had more than I have.

Immediately after purchase the safety fell out. After they replaced that i for to shoot it 9 times before the action bound up so bad it to 2 guys to unload it. Note I just got it back and they didn't even replace the pieces that were scratched down to bare metal.

They say that was caused by a piece of the stock that broke off and jammed the action.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TXGunNut
10-27-2016, 08:48 PM
I bought a used 1895 Remlin last year, pretty much a new gun with a short eye-relief scope. I feel pretty certain that scope was why it was on the used gun rack, lol. Remlin shoots as well as my early Guide Gun and that's saying a lot. Bought a Remlin 336 a few years back when they couldn't give them away, it worked out just fine as well.

waco
10-27-2016, 10:41 PM
All but one of my Marlin levers are JM guns. The one that is a Remlin is the wife's .357

It was a bit rough around the edges at first, but it is a fine little rifle.

FergusonTO35
10-28-2016, 08:46 AM
Just looking at the rifles on the rack at the fun store, it seems Remlin builds the nicer lever actions (1895, 1894, 336C) to a higher standard than the econo 336W. The 336C's I have seen lately were handsome guns actually.

Waco, how old is your Remlin .357? I haven't seen one in like forever.

Leaker11
10-30-2016, 12:59 AM
Snowolfe, I just got a new 1895G this week. Haven't shot it yet, that's the plan for tomorrow. All I can say now is that it looks well put together, feeds & extracts rounds & wood to metal fit is tight and clean. I'll tell you more but from face value pre shooting I'm happy with it. I also ordered it from Buds which was a first for me and I was very happy with price, speed of delivery & product. Good luck and enjoy your purchase.

colt1960
10-30-2016, 02:27 AM
Ive got the remlin 1895gbl I bought it new feb. 2012 I love it. shoots great. I also added the xs scope rail with ghost ring sights about a year later with a weaver k-series 4x28 scout scope. Very happy with the whole setup.

PoisonIvyMagnet
10-30-2016, 08:54 AM
I've picked up two Remington marlins the past couple years. The 336 microgroove came home first, almost 3 years ago. Decent looking rifle, but the internals were really rough. Would cycle fine, but not smoothly, so I had to do some polishing and deburring. The ballard rifled 1895 came home a year ago. Needed some minor deburring, but much less than the 336 did. Unfortunate that you have to do your own finish work on a new rifle, which is my only complaint. Both shoot beautifully with properly sized cast boolits though. If you want something to stick in the safe, spend the extra money for a JM. If you want a rifle that you intend to take out and use on a regular basis, current production Remingtons are just fine.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

waco
10-30-2016, 03:13 PM
Just looking at the rifles on the rack at the fun store, it seems Remlin builds the nicer lever actions (1895, 1894, 336C) to a higher standard than the econo 336W. The 336C's I have seen lately were handsome guns actually.

Waco, how old is your Remlin .357? I haven't seen one in like forever.

I bought it new from Cabelas 5-6 years ago IIRC.......

Texas by God
10-31-2016, 11:23 PM
I fixed a jamming Remlin 336 by clamping the carrier/lifter in a vise and smacking it a medium lick with a framing hammer. Worked perfectly. The tip came from a former Marlin worker on a forum. Lots of posters argued with him; I got my hammer out! Best, Thomas.

FergusonTO35
11-01-2016, 08:27 AM
I fixed a jamming Remlin 336 by clamping the carrier/lifter in a vise and smacking it a medium lick with a framing hammer. Worked perfectly. The tip came from a former Marlin worker on a forum. Lots of posters argued with him; I got my hammer out! Best, Thomas.

Do tell, just how did you go about this?

snowwolfe
11-04-2016, 08:13 PM
Picked up the rifle today. Unpacked it and inspected the wood to metal finish. Easily a 9.5 on a scale of 1-10. Cycled the action and couldn't get it to close, something was jammed. I said to myself......just what I need. Tried a couple of more times then it closed. Kept on working the action and cycled it about 100 times while holding the rifle in all different positions. Never had another issue. I was all prepared to find a tutorial online on how to smooth up the action but its just not needed. This is without a doubt the smoothest Marlin I ever owned. Another surprise was the trigger. Barely any creep and it broke about 6-6.5 pounds. Wished it was lighter but its liveable.
Muzzle loading deer season starts tomorrow so it will be awhile before it gets some time on the range. If it shoots anywhere near as good as it looks its a keeper.

GooseGestapo
11-11-2016, 07:36 PM
I recently bought two 1895 Remlins. Walmart close outs. $299, got $100 rebate check last week. ~ $265 with tax, each.
One has 770000 ser number. Rougher action, heavier trigger pull. Still nib. Second is a 880000 ser #. Smoother action, really decent triggerb(5.5lb slight creep, but shootable).
With 300gr Remington HP over 46.5gr H4198, I'm getting 3-shot cloverleaf clusters.
It's a "keeper".
IMO, Remington has figured out how to build them BETTER than Marlin was. I really like this rifle!

FergusonTO35
11-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Fudge, I sure wish Walmart had 'em on closeout here! >$300.00 for .45-70 anything is always a good deal.

cowboy
11-12-2016, 11:13 PM
you all DO know that most guns sold through Wally World are usually a special model made for them to blow out at reduced pricing? I for example, have bought from one of our local Wally World stores, a Ruger 10/22 described as "stainless". Yeah, the barrel is stainless steel. The receiver was NOT the silver finish found on the Stainless model at every LGS, but rather the standard black baked on finish of the guns with blued barrels. Had seen on another thread complaints from one reader who thought he was getting a real deal on a Savage rifle- until he found , at home, that it did NOT feature the adjustable trigger of the SIMILAR rifle he had looked at in a proper gun shop. Just this evening, at a local Wally World, I saw a finish variation on a Remington made Marlin lever action not normally found on the non laminated or plastic stocked models- a "matte" or bead blasted finish on what should have been a more nostalgic rifle. Of course, it WAS priced lower- with THAT finish, it darn well should be.
Just what I have seen, and I freely admit, I have NOT seen it all.
Love the 1895Cowboy I bought this year, at my favorite LGS, though it is a bit light weight for loads above Trapdoor level, what with the hard plastic butt plate to keep it looking more "period" ( even though it has the safety ).

Texas by God
11-13-2016, 12:02 AM
Do tell, just how did you go about this? I clamped it in the vise in normal orientation then hit the carrier arm with the hammer. This corrected the feeding cycle timing. Found the thread on MarlinOwners website.

303carbine
11-17-2016, 06:20 PM
I picked up a new Remlin back a couple months, I never had any issues with it at all.
I was very skeptical as all of the Marlin's I ever had were marked JM.
I have had the "jam" on these rifles where others showed no problems at all.
My new rifle was made in April 2014, everything works as it should, the wood is nicely grained dark walnut that fits perfectly.
I took a nice deer with it with a 420 cast bullet at 100 yds, I have probably put at least 100 rounds through it with no failures of any kind.
I cycled it fast and slow with one round and with a full tube, no issues,I am happy with my purchase and hope Marlin Remington has the bumps ironed out.

TXGunNut
11-17-2016, 11:20 PM
Cowboy is correct, for confirmation all one needs to do is note the SKU # on a made-for-WallyWorld gun and compare it to a regular production gun.

GooseGestapo
11-24-2016, 09:46 PM
I can see no difference in the 1895's I've got and several I've seen at LGS's.
Not so with the M336's. Some Wally and Dicks guns have laminated stocks and strange looking metal finishes.
Just shows you how much markup there is from factory to jobber, distributors, to retailers.
Ive got a gun room half full of Marlins. Only the latest built "REMIN" 1895 hasn't been stripped, disassembled, and. SOMETHING done to it to address some perceived shortcoming. This includes my 1915 mfg 1893 in .25/36!
The 1895 Remlin ranks among my most accurate Rifles, not just Marlins.
Past week I found an old stock Weaver one piece bas and low rings I'm going to replace the taller 2-piece bases and taller rings in order to lower the sight line. Make gun less top heavy...
After hunting season I'm going to resight it to cast bullets and try to get after some pigs.
I LIKE my Remlin.

FergusonTO35
11-24-2016, 09:55 PM
The Walmart grade Winchester 94's were often hideous. That is one design that simply cannot be made well for a sub-$300 price point. I know because I bought one brand new in 2002. Good shooter but loose as a goose in every way imaginable. The Marlin 336 seems to be more forgiving of economy production than the 94, most I have seen have respectable wood to metal and tight actions.