PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning old sizer dies

slimmpd
10-27-2016, 06:42 AM
Hey folks
Dealing with an estate here and in the process of sorting and "fixing" what the hired help dented, broke, bent and combined in flimsy plastic garbage cans, what used to be an organized passion of a mans life for 60 odd years. The help was hired by the opposing sides attorney and they "ain't" happy with the way the case is going so you might imagine every bullet box, butter bowl, die case, primer sleeve, lube tube, drop tube, milk create, pocket, boot, game calls, butt plate/grip off every gun, hand loader magazine, envelope and reloading manual, looking for hidden cash. No exaggeration here at all. I've got one 110 gallon tote, 2/3 full of loose bullets anywhere from .219 to 50 Sharps both cast (several different sizes of each) and jacketed. It's a mess and slow going to get everything back the way he kept it. I've found over a hundred sizer dies so far and they are filthy. Any and everything is stuck too and embedded in the old lube, everything to include walnut media, dirt to feathers and spent primers.
Sorry for the long vent but what's the best way to clean these dies. Any cleaner out there that will cut Lyman, SPG or homemade lube. I've got an old oven I'm gonna try a little heat but that's gonna make its own problems. All this stuff was in good shape 2 years ago but you can guess the condition of everything after it took 3 court orders to get most of the estate turned over to the executor.
Any ideas or help on the dies?

billyb
10-27-2016, 07:05 AM
I have cleaned a few dirty sizer dies by running hot water over them. Try boiling them, the lube will float to the top to be skimmed off.

dragon813gt
10-27-2016, 07:07 AM
Boil them in water. Wait for the water to cool down so the lube solidifies on the top. Then you can pull them out.

Hickory
10-27-2016, 07:21 AM
Hairdryer.
Paper towels.
Pipe cleaners.
Cleans them up quick and easy.

Mk42gunner
10-27-2016, 07:44 AM
Sounds like a mess, in more than one way.

Boiling with a bit of Dawn dish soap will help, it might not get everything but it is a start. Based on my experience cleaning a Lubamatic, it is not the best way.

Heat from either a heat gun or a propane torch will work to melt the old lube. Pay attention, you want lube to soften and flow so you can wipe it off, not lube ignition.

A mechanics parts cleaner may just be the best way to dissolve old lube from dies. The little bench top models don't cost a lot and are useful for a lot of projects.

Robert

masscaster
10-27-2016, 11:04 AM
Get a 9" glass pie plate, place the sizing dies in it, then pour Acetone on them. Let them soak for a bit, then use lint free cloth and wipe them off.
I leave the pins in.

Jeff

Dusty Bannister
10-27-2016, 11:17 AM
You may want to try parts cleaning solvent (stoddard) in a shallow pan with a coarse strainer. This will probably not damage the O rings, and whatever is loosened will just fall off into the bottom of the pan, or float, and not be in the way. Good idea to leave the pins in place so they are not lost in further handling. A strainer will keep your hands out of the solvent and make life a little easier since you can just shake the strainer while in the cleaner and then remove and let the excess drip off. It is a sad job, but good that someone understanding will undertake the sorting and cleaning.

Ed_Shot
10-27-2016, 11:26 AM
+1 for boiling

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-27-2016, 12:17 PM
If the safe and easy and cheap, "boiling water with dish soap" isn't successful, I'd soak in MS...except MS is kind of expensive, since we are talking over a hundred dies, I'd consider trying LA's Awesome concentrated cleaner...you can get a qt for $1 at the Dollar store. That was one of the few cleaner's (that I tried), used cold, that would cut Alox easily (soaked full strength overnight).

country gent
10-27-2016, 01:15 PM
A good boiling in water and dawn dish soap will remove alot. I would place the sizin dies in a colander or strainer and fill with soap water to cover by 3"-4" then bring to a boil; and let simmer light boil for 15-20 mins. Allow to cool and the lube can be removed from top of water easily then the dies in the colander strainer. May take a couple tmes to remove everything. After air dry disassemble one at a time wipe clean and oil or protect them so they dont rust since the soap water boiling will remove all the oil and any preservatives.For a large number of dies this is probably going to be quicker than one at a time cleaning with solvents. Also solvents that dislove the lube become contaminated and leave a filmn behind requireing several loks and cleanings with clean fresh solvents to remove it all. In the tool room at work we had 2 solvent tanks 1 was a preclean 1st clean that removed most grease oils and dirt the second was a finish clean that was used to remove cruds left behind by the 1st tank.

Ironnewt
10-27-2016, 01:35 PM
Whatever you do, don't throw them is a tumbler. Ask me how I know.

slimmpd
10-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Thanks everyone, I'll try boiling first. I forgot about kerosene, been citified for too long I guess.

ascast
10-28-2016, 07:08 PM
WD-40 will also "cut" any sizer die crud I've come across so far. I use the wood stove, old frying pan, lots of rags/paper towels. Lots of good methods on this thread.

gwpercle
11-01-2016, 02:24 PM
Mix up a gallon of Ed's Red Bore Cleaner ( just search the recipe) I recently purchased a quart of each ingredient at Wally Mart for a gallon , total cost was $16.83. Worked wonders on Lyman 450, dies , lube encrusted parts , rust and anything loading/gun related .
Great cleaner.
Gary

Dragonheart
11-02-2016, 02:14 PM
If I had that many to do I would just take them outside, drop them all in a bucket and give them a several hour soak, maybe overnight in gasoline. It will dissolve the old dried lube faster than anything, take less time and effort. It may take a couple of washes to get it all. And before anyone comments, yes we all know that gasoline is flammable, but I am assuming we are dealing with adults that are capable of filling a lawnmower or any one of the numerous gasoline appliances without blowing themselves up or burning the house down.