PDA

View Full Version : mini reflex sights?

tdoyka
10-26-2016, 02:42 PM
i was wondering if anybody uses a mini reflex sight? i've been thinking of getting one for my ruger sbh in 44 mag( well, its a 44 sp with 250gr mihek hp). since i am handicapable:mrgreen:(only use 1 arm) and its only for deer out to 50 yards, what do you think?

i can do a 3" group at 25 yards(off hand) but i can't control the revolver(focus on the front sight while maintaining the rear and then hitting the target) at 30-50 yards. i've had a red dot scope many years ago, on a different 44 mag, that i really liked. i shot 3 or so deer(25 yards, 100+/- yards, 125+/- yards), but it was big and bulky so i got rid of it.

Vortex Venom Red Dot Top Load Sight 31% OFF | Free 2 Day Shipping VMD-3103 (http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-venom-red-dot-top-load-sight.html)

Ruger Revolver Mini Scope Mount (http://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-Revolver-Mini-Mount.html)

mcdaniel.mac
10-26-2016, 02:56 PM
I have not used the Venom, but I have the Fastfire II on my GP100 and the Fastfire III on a Glock 17 MOS. Being able to focus on the target and let the dot fall into place does wonders for me, but be warned that the smaller window will be less forgiving. It takes practice to be able to present and have the dot in your natural point of aim, since it's going to sit higher than you're used to the sights being.

Mytmousemalibu
10-26-2016, 03:10 PM
On my M&P race gun I originally used a Trijicon RMR on it, specifically the dual illuminated 7moa amber dot. Excellent optic with any RMR but one thing to be aware of with the D-I models is the dot can washout pretty bad if you are shooting from a dark/dim area into a brighter one. Otherwise it is very brilliant and catches the eye. Plus those models don't have any electronics, just light gathering fiber optic and tritium power the dot. I also have a fastfire 3 on an XDm and its pretty good too. Lot of our club shooters running the Vortex Venom and are liking them! If you can stand it being a little bigger, have a look at a big size C-More red dot, not the STS. I think its called the railway sight. That's what is on my Open Division M&P now as is most open shooters. Relatively cheap, durable, and large glass make it nice. Even better on a 90° mount to get the glass closer to bore axis if you can. Most of the micro dots today are pretty good and more durable since so many are being put on slide-ride semi autos and being hammered with ever shot. Favoritism goes to Trijicon on a micro dot for me, super tough but at a price.

BCgunworks
10-26-2016, 03:36 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161026/3cd3da462a24cea93c2e482bd5a9a495.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161026/6f7c242034eb50d05a3ca23a56765b8a.jpg

I like them and I think they hold up well.

mozeppa
10-26-2016, 05:12 PM
i have 11 burris fast fire III 's on 11 different handguns...love them.

Mytmousemalibu
10-26-2016, 05:17 PM
This is my M&P with both types of optic. The 2nd pic is just for grins, my open upper stuck on my 9C frame, lol, but it shows the optic the way it used to be.

bluelund79
10-26-2016, 11:05 PM
I'm running a peep type rear aperture on my Super Blackhawk and Single Six convertible. Helped my shooting at 50yds. I have a Fastfire II that will be going on my 627-5 to see what I like better

tdoyka
10-27-2016, 03:03 AM
i'll have to check out burris' fastfire, thanks.

i used a warren peep sight back when i used a ruger srh, i liked it better than my factory sights.

fastdadio
10-27-2016, 09:57 PM
I'll be lurkin in here since my old eyes are having a hard time keeping the Bisley in line. I've been putting this project off for too long.

tdoyka
10-28-2016, 02:36 PM
I'll be lurkin in here since my old eyes are having a hard time keeping the Bisley in line. I've been putting this project off for too long.

nah, its the gun's fault. couldn't be your eyes or my only one arm, its got to be the gun!!!:kidding::wink:

i've been putting it off for 4 years. i've traded my ruger srh with a 7.5" barrel for a ruger sbh with a 4 5/8" barrel. and i do have to say that the 3" less of the barrel helps anyone that only can use one hand. the 7.5"(back when i had two hands) could do like 2 1/4 - 3" at 100 yards with full power loads. i could not do a 3" group at 20 yards after my stroke(with a 7.5" barrel), i could manage a 5-6" group at 25 yards. then i got the sbh with a 4 5/8" barrel and i can do a 2-3" group at 20-25 yards. when i go to 30-50 yards, it goes to 4" - to oh my God, i have to get rid of the target!

i am going to try a reflex sight to take me out to 50 yards. i'm going to try a cheap one(like $75 or less) before i go to either burris or vortex. if it does, the cheapie can go to my 45-70 handi rifle(405gr fn - 1400fps) and then i can save up for a good one. just digging around the internet i have found a couple of cheapies...

Sightmark Sure Shot Reflex Sight Up To 28% OFF | Best Rated SM13003C (http://www.opticsplanet.com/yukon-sightmark-reflex-sight-sm13003b.html)

TruGlo Red-dot Dual, Red-Green Sight 5 MOA Dot Up To 32% OFF | Best Rated TG8385BN (http://www.opticsplanet.com/truglo-red-dot-dual-red-green-sight-5-moa-dot.html)

Sightmark Mini Shot Reflex Sight SM13001 Up To 17% OFF | Best Rated (http://www.opticsplanet.com/yukon-sightmark-reflex-sight-sm13001.html?_iv_code=XK-RD-SM13001-DEMO)

what do you think?

adcoch1
10-28-2016, 04:29 PM
The sight mark sureshot is a pretty good little sight for the money, the cheapest I've found them for was $19 on Amazon. Com. Awesome on an at pistol, and really lightweight. I have been debating off and on putting one on my blackhawk as an experiment, but for the money you can't go wrong. I also would try a cheap one before dropping big money on a better sight.

NSB
10-28-2016, 05:08 PM
Here's my Ruger SBH with a Burris FastFire3. I also had one on my Win 1886 45-70. Neither gun could put a hurt on the Burris and both shot very, very well with that sight on there. It's brightness adjustable, and comes in two different dot sizes. I use the smaller dot, the 8moa is just way too big. I've had a couple dozen red dots over the years and now use them on all my hunting handguns. So far, the FF3 is the best mini sight I've tried.

Blackwater
10-28-2016, 06:49 PM
Well, T, it looks like there's an epideemic of what's ailing you going around. There seem to be a bunch of us in the same boat! I just got two ROMEO 4's by Sig, and I really like them. Their dot is only 2 MOA, but it's very clear. My astigmatism sees a smear instead of a round dot, but I can almost always tell where the red dot is, so I can hit a LOT better than I can with plain irons now. This is important with a .22 where you're shooting at small targets, like a squirrel's head. And the Sig sight has a very broad range of illumination intensities, too, which is important if you ever shoot at night. The dimmest setting possible is usually the best for night use, like in coon hunting or whatever. I haven't hunted coons in decades, but I miss it. Really great adventures following the dogs!

The single focal plane is their greatest asset. They don't call them "the old man's friend" for nothin'!

str8wal
10-29-2016, 11:28 AM
i was wondering if anybody uses a mini reflex sight?

Yupper

fastdadio
10-29-2016, 03:07 PM
nah, its the gun's fault. couldn't be your eyes or my only one arm, its got to be the gun!!!:kidding::wink:

i've been putting it off for 4 years. i've traded my ruger srh with a 7.5" barrel for a ruger sbh with a 4 5/8" barrel. and i do have to say that the 3" less of the barrel helps anyone that only can use one hand. the 7.5"(back when i had two hands) could do like 2 1/4 - 3" at 100 yards with full power loads. i could not do a 3" group at 20 yards after my stroke(with a 7.5" barrel), i could manage a 5-6" group at 25 yards. then i got the sbh with a 4 5/8" barrel and i can do a 2-3" group at 20-25 yards. when i go to 30-50 yards, it goes to 4" - to oh my God, i have to get rid of the target!

i am going to try a reflex sight to take me out to 50 yards. i'm going to try a cheap one(like $75 or less) before i go to either burris or vortex. if it does, the cheapie can go to my 45-70 handi rifle(405gr fn - 1400fps) and then i can save up for a good one. just digging around the internet i have found a couple of cheapies...

Sightmark Sure Shot Reflex Sight Up To 28% OFF | Best Rated SM13003C (http://www.opticsplanet.com/yukon-sightmark-reflex-sight-sm13003b.html)

TruGlo Red-dot Dual, Red-Green Sight 5 MOA Dot Up To 32% OFF | Best Rated TG8385BN (http://www.opticsplanet.com/truglo-red-dot-dual-red-green-sight-5-moa-dot.html)

Sightmark Mini Shot Reflex Sight SM13001 Up To 17% OFF | Best Rated (http://www.opticsplanet.com/yukon-sightmark-reflex-sight-sm13001.html?_iv_code=XK-RD-SM13001-DEMO)

what do you think?
I have this Aim Sports on my Trapper;
http://www.opticsplanet.com/aimsports-dual-ill-red-dot-w-4-reticles.html
So far so good for a cheapie. I called the company and asked tech support if it would take .44 mag recoil and the guy said sure. If it breaks, send it back. I like it when real people answer the phone. The only thing I don't like is the 6" moa on the single dot. Too big for a 100yd sight picture but I think it should be fine on the Bisley since I rarely shoot it to 100.
Thanks for the links. Looks like we have a lot of options out there.

bobthenailer
11-03-2016, 08:31 AM
I currently own a orginal Tasco Optima, 2 Trijiucon , 2 Pride Fowler SOS , 1 Burris ff-2 AND 2 ff-3,s .
some were used for awhile on magnum revolvers and the rest slide mounted semi autos. from 45 to 22lr I have used the PF sight on FA 454 Casull for a few years but went with the Aimpoint Micro tube style sight.
no real problems with any except loosing zero once in a while when you did not have a mechanical lock on W/E adj screw's.
I did send the Optima back 1 time but that was when it was not to old, I have had that one since they came out 15 to 20 years ago ?

44man
11-03-2016, 10:40 AM
With what I shoot, I tear those toys asunder. Mounts the worst. I will stick with Ultra Dot but not all of them either. Only one.

ole 5 hole group
11-03-2016, 01:23 PM
Just food for thought - I have a couple Leupold Deltapoints and they will hold up to some harsh recoil, if that is a concern. Have one on a 1911 and the other has been used on everything from 500 S&W to the 454, 44, and 45 Colt.

The delta is 7.5 MOA but I only use the very tip for my aiming point, which makes it very precise. The biggest drawback is price.

I really don't like the revolver mounts, as they sit too high, however, with practice you can get use to them. On bottom feeders, you can mill the slide and that delta will be exactly where your rear sight use to be, so there's no "learning curve" to finding the dot. On a 1911 you can also have an iron sight mounted in front of the red dot if you feel the need.

That dot is actually a very clear delta, but my camera just can't catch it - no clue as to why;)

W.R.Buchanan
11-06-2016, 06:09 PM
I have a Burris Fast Fire mounted on my Glock 35. I used it the first day of my recent Front Sight Class. There were 6 other dotters in the class of 34.

I didn't have any problems hitting the target in general, but I had a lot of problems hitting the exact spot on the target I wanted and especially twice in a row.

I would hit a spot on the target with the first shot and then the next shot was 2" low and to the left. This happened more than once so I don't know if the sight was moving, or if it was me, or what.

Trigger Control is exaggerated with the Dot Sight on a pistol and it shows every move you make during the press. Since the dot is on the target and it is moving all the time as no one can hold a handgun perfectly still on a target, it amplifies any trigger control issues you have similar to what a scope does.

I found it frustrating and switched to my G21 with Irons for the remainder of the class. I need a lot more practice with that sight before I would call it good to go.

Mind you none of this is the fault of the sight itself. It is just different than what I am normally used to. Also a Red Dot on a rifle is much easier to use as you have your cheek weld to position your eye behind the sight. This occurs much faster than with a pistol as with a pistol your presentation has to yield the dot in your field of view or else you are searching for it. With time pressure, every .1 second you waste trying to find the dot is a tenth you lost for targeting, and as such accuracy suffers.

This can, and will be, overcame with practice.

As far as being able to absorb the recoil. I figure if a sight can live thru being attached to a slide on a Semi Auto, it should be good to go on just about anything. One thing to consider on a Pistol is that running the thing is quite different than before you installed the Dot Sight. The sight does impede your operation of the slide and as such normal manipulation of the slide and Clearing Malfunctions requires a slightly different technique. I have to work on this some more until it is second nature.

I would look at the Leupold or Trijicon and especially the Trijicon as it is on all the time and only uses the battery as a back up. Battery lasts for a year or more. It is fiber optic the rest of the time. My Burris will go thru the battery in a few days if left on. Both of the other brand sights have a lot more rounded edges on them which makes them friendlier to your hands over long periods of drilling. This comes in handy because the only way you will ever be proficient with one of these guns is to drill with it a lot. Thus the need for deburring of the gun and making it as hand friendly as possible.

It is the wave of the future, and if you haven't noticed, all the major Handgun Manufacturers are offering their guns with Dot Mounts machined into the slides.

But what nobody has commented on thus far is how bitchin' these things are at night! If you have any target silhouette whatsoever you can put a shot on it so easily it would blow your skirt up!

That feature alone should put these sights on the radar for anyone using a gun for self defense. As we all should know, most of that Self Defense stuff is going to happen at night and whereas night sights on a gun are nice, they are not even in the same ball park as the Red Dot Optic. Believe me it is night and day difference.

Randy

tdoyka
11-07-2016, 01:48 PM
well, i've got weigand's scope base(no drill) and a cheap truglo red/green dot reflex sight. so far the truglo only has one problem, 5moa sight.( i knew it when i ordered it)

but the 5moa sight should be good at 50 yards(thru a deer's lungs/heart). i will be shooting the truglo next week. if the truglo holds up and it does help me with my shooting, it will be replaced by a burris/vortex/any other. after i get it sighted in, i plan on taking it out for this years deer season.

44man
11-08-2016, 12:59 PM
I think all are tough enough but the screw to the base was what I seen give way with recoil.

tdoyka
11-08-2016, 03:51 PM
I think all are tough enough but the screw to the base was what I seen give way with recoil.

back in the early '90s i had an aimpoint? red dot scope on my ruger srh in 44 mag. i would take a max load of win296 and a 200-240gr xtp and it never failed. then i got divorced, had to sell the 44 mag and it was 5 years ago when i bought another(srh in 44 mag). i tried to run a mueller red dot scope but the mount just wouldn't stay on. then my dad used the mueller for awhile(goes on 22rf, crossbow, 7x30 waters in a 'tender...) until i got it back to use on my 45-70 handi rifle. i ran the handi about 1400fps with a 405gr fbfn (roughly 200+/- shots)when the mueller fell apart. the red dot went from 5 o'clock to 3 o'clock to 10 o'clock....(no where near centered)

i do luv my ruger sbh(4 5/8" barrel) in 44 mag. i use 250gr mihek hp and 7.0gr of unique in a 44 sp. the best group at 25 yards is 3/4"(5 shoots, i don't count the 6th one, the group goes to 2 1/2":roll::mrgreen:), but usually it goes roughly 2-3 1/2" . i don't think its bad for using only one hand. i don't want to drill a hole in my sbh, so i'm going to try a weigand no drill base. RUGER Revolver MINI Scope Mount WEIG-A-TINNY WEAVER Picatinny - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwOVP7j2IUg) . if i can do 50 yards using a red dot, i will be more than happy. i have a 6" steel circle (that is like the deer lungs) if i can hit that, then i can kill a deer.

44man
11-08-2016, 04:18 PM
I had Tasco, Millet and Bushnell dots on my .44's. made in China, recoil would pull the prism out. I could take them apart and steel bed the prism back in. Need to get it right.
I wanted a heads up and called to ask about my .475 and was told "NO". Plain and simple the maker would not recommend it.
But my old Tasco and Loopy scopes have stood everything I could put them through but a scope is not that good to hunt with unless you have light and a rest.
I bought a Swift scope once that said nothing could hurt it. I had a bag of glass and the replacement is on a .22.
You WILL ruin stuff. Do you want to spend $500+ on a revolver?
I called MR to see what they used and was told Ultra Dot but not all of theirs are good. I learned the hard way.

mcdaniel.mac
11-09-2016, 09:38 AM
I had Tasco, Millet and Bushnell dots on my .44's. made in China, recoil would pull the prism out. I could take them apart and steel bed the prism back in. Need to get it right.
I wanted a heads up and called to ask about my .475 and was told "NO". Plain and simple the maker would not recommend it.
But my old Tasco and Loopy scopes have stood everything I could put them through but a scope is not that good to hunt with unless you have light and a rest.
I bought a Swift scope once that said nothing could hurt it. I had a bag of glass and the replacement is on a .22.
You WILL ruin stuff. Do you want to spend $500+ on a revolver?
I called MR to see what they used and was told Ultra Dot but not all of theirs are good. I learned the hard way.
Used Aimpoint stuff is the way to go. I've scored the M2 as low as $200.