PDA

View Full Version : On the subject of toy ring caps.

alexzxz
10-25-2016, 08:47 PM
I haven't been able to find a good source on the subject of toy caps, so I've been doing some experimenting lately to test them.

Why bother with toy caps? First, they're cheap, at less than 2 cents a piece. Second, they're easy to stockpile, as most dollar stores carry them. Third, they're much easier than punching beer cans, and messing with priming compound.

There are two brands that are common, SuperBang (dollar store) and Legends (Walmart). After playing with both, I know now to stay away from the Legends Brand.

SuperBang is made by Ja-Ru Toys, in Italy, while Legends is made by Imperial Toys in Germany. While the Legends brand roll caps are superb, their ring caps can only be used for toy guns.

The Legends ring cap have a small paper disk, that tends to clog the nipple hole. Superbang does not.

Legends caps also tend to split when you push them onto the nipple. The way they were molded, the edge has a flaw that opens up when you try to get them firmly on the nipple. That is huge problem, as caps can fall off unexpectedly, risking chainfires. Superbang fit really tightly, but I haven't seen one split yet.

The only powder I've used them with is JSG, as black powder is harder to find here. I've no doubt that they'll ignite blackpowder fine, but with a substitute, I could only manage 4 out of 6 ignitions at best, which is unacceptable.

I've tried adding powder from roll caps, or adding a bit of crushed up JSG. Still wasn't consistent enough. Plenty of flash, but wasn't hot enough to ignite the powder.

I'd read somewhere that magnum primers uses aluminum/magnesium powder to help with ignition, so I ordered a lb of 500 mesh Al off ebay. A pound is a lot of powder and you only need a pinch for a few hundred primers, so the rest will go to probably go toward a tannerite experiment.

I mixed a pinch of the powder with 91% rubbing alcohol and gave each cap a drop with an eyedropper. The next day, all six shots went off. I'll have to test them some more (big batch drying right now), but I think I'm on to something.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5724/30308256320_c504e90212_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NbeJFs)

waarp8nt
10-26-2016, 06:06 PM
I have no experience with homemade powder or primers, but if you Google search aardvark homemade primer course you will find a PDF file that is quite interesting!

Traffer
10-26-2016, 06:57 PM
I use roll caps. They work great. Add a little fine aluminum powder to the caps, makes them much hotter and sparkier.

alexzxz
10-27-2016, 07:15 PM
Yep, Marshall Thompson's course is where I got the idea of using aluminum powder. It's a very comprehensive guide on primers, but it'll take a lot more investment and safety measures in order to make the H-48 or FA-70 priming powder. You would also need some sort of machinery to output a decent amount of caps, and fill them. Just way more effort and money than the average person can attempt.

I'm trying this mainly because I currently have only one supplier of #10 caps. Some local places don't sell BP goods, others only have #11 or 209 primers. A Dick's Sporting I tried didn't even know about percussion caps. Can't guarantee I'll find a source of caps when I move in the future.

Driver man
10-27-2016, 07:34 PM
A little bit of fff works 100% every time.

alexzxz
10-27-2016, 09:11 PM
Driver man, what powder do you use? Goex or subs? I couldn't find reliable ignition with JSG.

Driver man
10-27-2016, 10:14 PM
I use goex and elephant. I fill the cap up and work it onto the nipple .The caps I use are called star-caps and are made in Taiwan.They contain 0.2grain of pyrotechnic . When no 11 caps became impossible to source here I found these in the $2.00 dollar store (288) for 2 dollars. Ive also used them in small pistol primers with bp with mixed success.