PDA

View Full Version : My Experience With Shooting Cast in a Microgroove Barrel

MSD MIke
10-25-2016, 02:39 PM
For anyone that’s interested, here is my experience with the Marlin Micro Groove Barrel.

I have cast for my handguns and an old 03A3 with good success but had always had some reservations about the Marlin because of all the stories I have heard about the difficulty of using cast bullets in Micro Groove Barrels. My thought process was that if it worked in the Marlin then it shouldn’t be a problem in the Winchester with standard rifling. So I started with the Marlin. My goal on the initial test was not to look for real precision but to find a load that showed promise and didn’t leave any lead in the barrel. If I found something that seemed like it was going to work I would narrow down my powder choice and actually get a little more serious about load development. I don’t hunt so I don’t really care much about on target bullet performance beyond accuracy and it ability to shoot holes in plinking style targets. That and low recoil so it would be more fun than factory jacketed stuff.

Goal – Find a cast load with fairly low recoil that was accurate enough to shoot cans and stuff off hand out to 50-75 yard or so. Something I could shoot a decent volume of with no leading in that darn Micro Groove Barrel. If I found something that seemed to have potential I will pick a single powder and work with it.
Gun – El Cheapo 80’s vintage Marlin Model 336. Just like the bajillion others stuck in the back of people closets and safes. Due to my eyes not being very happy anymore I installed an old Weaver K4 I had laying around. It should be noted that the trigger pull is so heavy that you have to tie one end of a string around the trigger, tie the other end around a cinder block and push it off the table to get the gun to discharge. Of course I’m exaggerating but the trigger pull is HEAVY and will require some work before the gun can be shot to its accuracy potential
Caliber – 30-30 of course.
Bullet – Lyman 311041 with Hornady Gas Check. Supposed to be 173 Gr but drops at almost 180 with my alloy.
Alloy – Air cooled COWW, same stuff I use for everything.
Size – Bullets were sized to .310 for all loads.
Lube – 50/50
Brass – Mixed and untrimmed. For future load development I will pay more attention to brass. I roll crimped all loads in the crimp groove and it was apparent brass length was all over the place. The crimp varied a good deal from round to round.
Primer – Winchester Large Rifle for all loads
The test – Load ammo and shoot it at paper plates with a dot drawn in the middle. Gun was rested on a wobbly card table. 3-3 shot groups for each load. No chronograph on this trip. Just blasting to see how it worked.
Accuracy – I had shot the gun with the K4 and factory Remington Core Lokt 170 Grain ammo in the past and it shot about 2’’ at the same distance. Not spectacular but with a better rest, a better trigger and maybe a better shooter it would undoubtedly be more accurate.
Distance – 45 yards. I was shooting where I usually shoot handguns and that was as far as I could stretch it out. Fine for initial testing in my book.

All loads are listed in the Lyman Cast Bullet manual. None were maximum. I just picked a variety of loads to see what happened.
The Same Lyman 311041 sized to .310 with 50/50 lube was used for all loads

Loads-
7 grains Alliant Unique – Super Mild, grouped as well as the factory jacketed ammo but with POI 8’’ lower than all other loads. As an aside I also shot this load in my Model 94 and it hit so low I couldn’t raise the sight enough to use it.

16 Grains Alliant 2400 – Mild but with more pop than the Unique load. Noticeably more accurate than the 7 Grains of Unique. Groups were visibly smaller.

17 Grains IMR 4227 – Results pretty much mirrored the 2400 load but out of the 3 group I had one flyer that there was no explanation for. It went about 8’’ higher than all the others. I can usually call it if I pull a shot that bad but not this time. Not sure what happened on that one.

20 Grains IMR 4227 - I left this load for last thinking that if one was going to strip in the Microgroove rifling and lead the barrel this would be the one. While not as hard kicking as factory jacketed ammo it was getting to the point I wouldn’t want have 100 round plinking session with it. Results with this load were dismal. Occasionally you would get two that would hit close together but for the most part every round was a flyer. Some I couldn’t even keep on the paper plate. I figure I had done it now and had a mess to clean up when I got home.

So, since I made this a thread about Microgroove barrels and cast bullets I first want to tell you about clean up and what I found when I got home. I dropped the lever and pulled out the bolt so I could get a good view down the barrel. I nervously looked down the barrel and to my delight there was not even a tiny bit of lead fouling. The test was a total of 36 rounds from very mild to fairly stout. The rifle was allowed to cool a little bit between groups but probably not long enough. The bottom line is that if you are nervous about shooting cast in Microgroove barrels don’t worry about it. Just give a try, the worst that happens is you have to clean your gun. In my case the only thing in the barrel was some powder fouling that came right out with Hoppes. Actually easier than cleaning up after shooting jacketed. Before shooting cast I didn’t make any particular effort to clean out all the copper fouling, I didn’t use any super hard alloy, I didn’t slug my barrel and my bullet was sized at .310 just like many recommend for any 30 cal rifle. Just a standard cleaning and go shooting. So, other’s will have a different story but in my experience the Microgroove barrel is a non-issue.

A few observations.
Unique - Due to the fact I have and use a lot of Unique I will work a hotter load using unique. I found accuracy to be suitable but the POI was unacceptably low in my Winchester. Hopefully upping the charge will cure that and I can find a load that will work for the Marlin and the Winchester.
2400 – This was the best powder in this test. I find this really unfortunate because it is still very scarce. Once I pick something for the lever guns I want to buy a bunch and get to loading. I love 2400 in my handguns and despite its promise in the 336 I will probably reserve what I have for the revolvers. If availability improves or if I stumble on an 8lber it will be my go to.
IMR4227, 17 grains - This load seemed acceptable and due to the easy availability of 4227 I will work with it a bit more in the lower charge ranges.
IMR4227, 20 Grains – Not sure why the poor performance with this load. I initially though I was experiencing lead fouling in the barrel but that was absolutely not the case. Possibly a harder bullet would handle it better. I have a commercially cast bullet from the same mold that is much harder. I’ll give it a try to see if alloy hardness makes a difference. This load was hotter than I need for my type of shooting but I would like to know the reason for such poor performance just from a curiosity standpoint.

For the next test I will sort and trim brass to remove some of the variables. I will also have to do something about the trigger. Once I get that done I will get more serious and raise my standards to see if I can tighten up the groups. Never can tell when you’re going to have to waste a pesky pop can.

The most important result from this whole test was a good day in the desert shooting guns.

Thanks for listening,
Mike

44man
10-25-2016, 03:15 PM
Why fool with shotgun and pistol powders? Why not 3031, 4895, 4064 and Varget. You ARE shooting a rifle by the way.

MSD MIke
10-25-2016, 03:27 PM
Looking for mild can popping rounds and didn't see the need for rifle powders. I have been wanting a pistol caliber lever gun for awhile and this seemed like a good alternative since I already had the gun/guns. As I play around with it some more I may move to the rifle powders. I have 3031 that I use for jacketed 30-30 loads with good success and might give it a try. My goals weren't really that serious. Just having fun and experimenting with the Micro Groove barrel to see if they are an issue. Seems they aren't.

10-25-2016, 04:17 PM
Have heard all the micro groove stories but have had good results myself.
Did read one interesting article where the author pointed out that despite the shallow rifling of micro groove the extra lands and grooves results in the engagement area of the rifling actually being greater than with conventional rifling. Guess this should make it more difficult for a bullet to strip not easier.

dubber123
10-25-2016, 04:32 PM
Only fooled with 2 Micro-Groove barrels, the .35 was super easy, close to 1/2" groups at 50 yards at faster than factory speeds, (2,150 fps). The 30-30 hasn't shot quite as good, but 1" at 50 yards at 2,100+ fps. Both were firelapped, and the .35 has a 2.5# trigger, which probably explains the difference in groups. The 30-30 has not had trigger work, and feels like about 7#.

Keep tinkering, it will shoot better than you think. I size to .311" in the 30-30, and have no problems chambering, something you may want to try.

sghart3578
10-25-2016, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the great write up. I have been down the same path.

I size to .311" in my Marlin microgroove. I like 12 gr of Unique as well as 13-14 gr of A #9. I load a Lee 150 gr bullet with gas check.

For hunting rounds I stuck with the first load that I tried, the same Lee bullet with 25 gr of 3031. A mild recoil but 1.5" groups at 100 yards (4 power scope) and consistent hits on a 6" gong at 200 yards.

I too like low recoil loads with pistol powders in my rifles. Keep it up.

Steve in N CA

Ballistics in Scotland
10-25-2016, 05:39 PM
Not all Micro-groove .30-30s are alike, and the stories of unsatisfactory performance probably date from the early days in the 1950s. This is the patent drawing, and shows rifling only .015in. deep. Even that was more than the .001in. of the ill-fated Sako-actioned 322, which even in .222 Remington was phenomenally accurate, but wore out very quickly. But in 1968 Marlin changed all their Micro-groove rifles except the .22 rimfires to a deeper version.

Even in the early ones, I doubt if the problems were simply those of inadequate depth when the bullet was good. William Ellis Metford found that rifling only .0005in. deep would spin a bullet, as would the scratches made by coarse emery on a lead lap. I think the problems were some combination of undersized bullet, bore erosion or fouling.

avogunner
10-25-2016, 05:51 PM
I have had great success with 748 in my 60's microgroove 336.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

17nut
10-25-2016, 07:52 PM
Not all Micro-groove .30-30s are alike, and the stories of unsatisfactory performance probably date from the early days in the 1950s. This is the patent drawing, and shows rifling only .015in. deep. Even that was more than the .001in. of the ill-fated Sako-actioned 322, which even in .222 Remington was phenomenally accurate, but wore out very quickly. But in 1968 Marlin changed all their Micro-groove rifles except the .22 rimfires to a deeper version.

Even in the early ones, I doubt if the problems were simply those of inadequate depth when the bullet was good. William Ellis Metford found that rifling only .0005in. deep would spin a bullet, as would the scratches made by coarse emery on a lead lap. I think the problems were some combination of undersized bullet, bore erosion or fouling.

The "problem" is that Marlin for some god forsaken reason chose to go larger than SAAMI in bore and that's why they fail with factory bullets!
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Marlin/Nominal%20Bore%20Dimensions%20Doc1%20small_zpskfqu gtfi.jpg (http://s295.photobucket.com/user/Chickenthief/media/Skydning/Marlin/Nominal%20Bore%20Dimensions%20Doc1%20small_zpskfqu gtfi.jpg.html)
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Marlin/Bore%20Dimensions%20Doc1%20small_zpsyiez020c.jpg (http://s295.photobucket.com/user/Chickenthief/media/Skydning/Marlin/Bore%20Dimensions%20Doc1%20small_zpsyiez020c.jpg.h tml)

I have a Marlin 94 in 44MAG that has shot more than 4500 1:33 lead bullets with a check and that at speeds past 1750fps.
No magic just good lube and proper bullet fit.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Marlin/R0012037_zpsffolees5.jpg (http://s295.photobucket.com/user/Chickenthief/media/Skydning/Marlin/R0012037_zpsffolees5.jpg.html)

Wind
10-25-2016, 09:05 PM
Hey there Mike -- Looks like you are on your way. I recommend increasing your Unique charge to 9.5 to 10 grains and I think you will find a smile or two. I too am hoping to see some 2400 on the shelves soon!!

"Why fool with shotgun and pistol powders? Why not 3031, 4895, 4064 and Varget. You ARE shooting a rifle by the way." There are those that are clueless. Unique started life as a reduced charge rifle powder.

179449 179450 click to embiggenate

Dang! It even says so on the factory packaging!!

179451 179452

Uniqueis economical to shoot, easy on the shoulder, accurate and offers plenty of power...

<em>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E4abzmvio0

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

FergusonTO35
10-25-2016, 11:07 PM
I think what 44man is getting at, is if you looking for an actual rifle level load you would probably get better results with a rifle powder typically used in this cartridge. Unique is certainly fine for mild loads but if you are looking for something closer to a full power load, as your efforts with 4227 and 2400 seem to be leading, a rifle powder would undoubtedly give better results not to mention be safer pressure wise.

My fave powder for boolits in .30 WCF is IMR 4895. My 336 Texan loves 27 grains under a Lee C309-150-F. If you're just killing cans and paper how about give the C309-113-F a try? This one does great with Unique and other fast burners and is lots of fun to shoot.

sghart3578
10-26-2016, 12:46 AM
He's not looking for rifle level loads. He stated that he was looking for low recoil loads for cans and such at 40-50 yards.

Four-Sixty
10-26-2016, 04:45 AM
For plinking I've had great success with the Lee .314-90 TL sized to .311 and seated over 3.0 grains of Bullseye. No recoil, and hits to the point of aim I use for all loads at 50 yards. Best of all, it cycles through the action!

I like IMR-4227, but find accuracy falls after about 19+ grains when using the 165 grain Ranch Dog boolit sized at .311.

FergusonTO35
10-26-2016, 12:04 PM
He's not looking for rifle level loads. He stated that he was looking for low recoil loads for cans and such at 40-50 yards.

IMR 4227 and 180 grain boolits don't sound like low recoil/40-50 yard tin can loads to me which is why I suggested a rifle powder for this application. I would think that 10-12 grains Unique and a lighter boolit would be just the ticket.

Also, I really like the sound of that 25 grains IMR 3031/Lee 150 grain boolit. You ever take any game with it?

MSD MIke
10-26-2016, 12:56 PM
Recoil with the 17 Grain IMR 4227 load was not bad at all but the 20 grain load was starting to get up there, not factory jacked recoil but more than you would want for short range plinking for sure. Things were unhappy with the 20 grain load for some reason. Just guessing that I might need a harder bullet and slower powder for that power level. Doesn't really matter because I wont be using that load. The 16 grain 2400 load was my favorite, recoil was not bad at all but it had enough thump to be entertaining and initially seemed to be the most accurate. I would use 2400 all day long but it is very difficult to find so I save what I have for my heavier revolver loads. I will probably settle in Unique because it think it has potential and I have a bunch on hand. Regarding a lighter bullet I might try it one day but recoil with the 180 is mild with the lighter loads so I don't really fell the need for a lighter bullet. The secondary reason for the 311041 is that I wanted a mold that could do double duty. I also have an very nice 03A3 that I can use that bullet in. When I invest in another mold it will be a better bullet profile for the 03A3 and I'll work on some "Rifle Power" loads for that rifle. As far as sizing goes, I would try .311 but my mold is dropping just over .310 so I run it through the .310 sizer to true it up, lube it and seat the gas check. Lol, my end game is an accurate load that is mild shooting but powerful enough to knock stuff around when you hit it. AND, I think I can just ignore the fact the gun has microgroove rifling. Just doesn't seem to be an issue.
I appreciate everyone's input and ideas. Its all about the fun and learning to me.

Mike

smkummer
10-26-2016, 03:50 PM
Keep tinkering, it will shoot better than you think. I size to .311" in the 30-30, and have no problems chambering, something you may want to try.[/QUOTE]

I am shooting that bullet sized to .311 ('cause lee doesn't make a .310) and about 10 grain unique for about 1500 FPS in my pre-64 94 Winchester. I am water dropping COWW and I believe all the sizer is doing is seating the gas check. The harness is about 20. I will try that in my buddies Marling 336 with micro groove and report back if I remember. Yes, water drop those bullets and try again. I too like unique instead of twice the amount of rifle powder to do the same thing.

dubber123
10-26-2016, 03:54 PM
If your bore is good, (I firelap a lot), and you get your size narrowed down, don't think you need an overly hard boolit. It is of course worth experimenting with, but the 2,100+ fps ones I have been shooting lately are just air cooled WW's with a little tin. The bore has never gotten anything more than a semi snug patch with oil on it to clean, basically just powder fouling. It shoots right around 1" at 50 yds. for me, and this is with the issue El Cheapo tin rear sight and bead front, along with the not so great trigger. You will be surprised how well it does before you are done. Have fun :)

popper
10-26-2016, 06:17 PM
It's not the MG that is the problem, it's the tight bore at the muzzle and throat + no throat. Try 311 or PC. I push 170 PB to 1400 with 9 1/2 Unique - fun and decent - WD COWW. General consensus is they like a harder alloy. I tried the 16 grain 2400 load (165 RD) and it didn't do well.

dubber123
10-26-2016, 06:43 PM
It's not the MG that is the problem, it's the tight bore at the muzzle and throat + no throat. Try 311 or PC. I push 170 PB to 1400 with 9 1/2 Unique - fun and decent - WD COWW. General consensus is they like a harder alloy. I tried the 16 grain 2400 load (165 RD) and it didn't do well.

If I am reading you correctly, you noticed the bore was tighter in front of the short throat. If this is what you meant, then the one I worked with was the same way. I firelapped until the tight spot in front of the chamber went away, and it shoots very well at full throttle now.

Wolfer
10-26-2016, 08:44 PM
Like many I stayed away from cast in my 336 for a long time because of all the horror stories I had heard. One day someone gave me a handful of 165 gr plain based boolits. I put 5 gr of clays behind them and they shot very well indeed.

Bought a 311041 and started with 2400 and worked up until accuracy fell off. When it fell it fell hard! Ended up with 17 gr gets me 1700 fps and more accurate than factory, less recoil and kills deer very well.
Been meaning to experiment with slower powders to get the velocity up but haven't really seen the need.

lately I've been shooting the 311008 at 115 gr with 5 gr of clays. 1250 fps, very accurate and shoots to the sights at small game ranges. I think this pretty much duplicates the old black powder 32-20 load. These are a hoot to shoot!

Tenbender
10-26-2016, 10:26 PM
I have a 336 Marlin that I have been working with . I'm very happy. I'm using 311041 boolits that drop 183 with 50 50 WW - pure sized .310. Settled on RE15 and the boolits are pc'd . I run 300 or so through it and cleaned it today. One dry patch was all the bore needed. I'm shooting a 1.5" group at 100 with a 2 1/2 power Leupold on it. I have a 94 Winchester that shoots that load well but not as good as the 336.

Drm50
10-26-2016, 10:38 PM
I have been shooting cast out of a 1895 Marlin, for years. Shooting straight WW at 20:1 with tin.
Bullet: Ideal 330 Gould Express Hp, size 457". powder IMR-3031. MV approx 1250 fps. No leading
problems. I had a new Marlin 94 in 32/20, wouldn't shoot cast, wouldn't shoot jackets. I dont
remember if it was micro groove, traded it off.

FergusonTO35
10-27-2016, 08:51 AM
The throat on my 336 is snug. It leaves rifling marks on my Lee C309-150-RF and some rounds take effort to chamber. Is there any easy way I can alleviate this condition? Or, any forum sponsors who you would recommend to do it for me?

44man
10-27-2016, 09:25 AM
It was accuracy I was considering with rifle powders. I also tried all the fast ones when I got the 336.
A slower powder that can be reduced some has almost no recoil.
It was the sad accuracy that turned me away, seen no sense casting the best I could, maybe spending money on checks, all the work of lubing and sizing to just make noise and not hit anything.

FergusonTO35
10-27-2016, 01:29 PM
IMR 4895 excels for this purpose, at least in .30 caliber rounds. Any other rifle powders you know of that are reduced load friendly? Unique has only been seen on the missing persons bulletin board at Walmart for the last few years here.

popper
10-27-2016, 05:42 PM
Yes, when I slugged it and got past the front sight, almost slid to the chamber end. I've heard it is/was the hard roll stamp on the barrel but don't have anything to measure with. Was reading about lapping, not sure I want to make a wall hanger out of it. Works fine with jacketed and full power cast loads, I'm working on alloy/powder/fps solution for light loads. Using a softer alloy/BLL I got terrible leading. PC seems to give it 'traction' in the middle. Harder alloy helps too. Check the 'nose to big' thread in coating.

TXGunNut
10-27-2016, 09:16 PM
Good job! I think MG barrels may just be a little smoother than some other rifle barrels out there now. I'm a big fan of 2400 in my 30-30 and 32 Spl. Very pleasant load and easy on the powder $upply.

waco
10-27-2016, 10:37 PM
2400 in my brother's 336 is $$$
H335 and SR4759 are a close second.
I hoard what little 3031 I have for my 45-70.
I'm sure it would do well here as well....

dubber123
10-27-2016, 11:08 PM
Yes, when I slugged it and got past the front sight, almost slid to the chamber end. I've heard it is/was the hard roll stamp on the barrel but don't have anything to measure with. Was reading about lapping, not sure I want to make a wall hanger out of it. Works fine with jacketed and full power cast loads, I'm working on alloy/powder/fps solution for light loads. Using a softer alloy/BLL I got terrible leading. PC seems to give it 'traction' in the middle. Harder alloy helps too. Check the 'nose to big' thread in coating.

Don't worry about making a wall hanger out of it, it's pretty hard to screw up firelapping, it works really slowly.

w30wcf
10-28-2016, 08:09 AM
The throat on my 336 is snug. It leaves rifling marks on my Lee C309-150-RF and some rounds take effort to chamber. Is there any easy way I can alleviate this condition? Or, any forum sponsors who you would recommend to do it for me?

"....and some rounds take effort to chamber."
With the word some, (to understand, not all) I wonder If you are might be upsetting the forward portion of the bullet when seating the gas check and lube/sizing operation. I learned that lesson when I first started casting many years ago.

If you have a way of measuring that portion which interferes with the rifling / leade see if it varies between the rounds that take some effort and those that don't.

It is also possible that if you have a multiple cavity mold that 1 cavity might be larger than the other.
What diameter is that portion of the bullet that is interfering with the rifling? If it is larger than .300, another mold would be the less expensive option.

You could try making some dummy cartridges using bullets that come from each cavity of the mold as is (no g.c. nor sizing) and see if that makes a difference.

w30wcf

FergusonTO35
10-28-2016, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try each cavity and see how it goes.