PDA

View Full Version : Building an FAL from parts

NoAngel
10-25-2016, 02:34 PM
Anyone here know what they're doing when it comes to FAL's?

I have acquired a VERY nice STG58 kit complete. Just need the receiver and then the proper locking shoulder.
I'm a little puzzled on the 'Types' of receivers? Seems a type III with no lightening cuts can usually be had cheaper for obvious reasons. I don't care about getting the look right. Only a safe functional rifle.

Gimme a little guidance here. Everything else seems straight forward and what tools I don't have i can make.

Thanks

richbug
10-25-2016, 03:54 PM
Type 1, 1.5, 2, and 3 are all interchangeable in all respects except cosmetics. Cheap isn't always best. Virtually all the receiver brands out there have, or have had an issue at some point. Coonan, DSA, and Imbel are the big 3 three you will find readily that should go together without much issue.

An inch one will require a few different parts but can be made to work.

NoAngel
10-25-2016, 05:05 PM
That's what I needed to know. Thank you.

akajun
10-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Find a dsa, dci, imbel (the best) , argentine, or non unibrow century.

Artful
10-26-2016, 03:53 PM
All your answers reside here
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php?s=

Clark
11-01-2016, 03:12 AM
http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/

NoAngel
11-01-2016, 06:57 AM
Yeah I know all about both of those. Tried to sign up at the FALFILES but they won't send a activation email or respond to inquiries.
I hope Gunplumber has grown up a notch. It's been a long time ago but I remember him from the AKFiles and the guy was....grandma says if you ain't got nothing nice to say, don't say nothing.

seaboltm
11-01-2016, 09:56 AM
I recently bought a kit from Arizona Response Systems. Kit was better than expected. Barrel is in near pristine condition with very little if any muzzle wear. No copper came out of the bore upon cleaning.

I bought a Coonan upper from Brownells. Had to do some light work with a drimmel to get the upper and lower to pin together. Nothing major, just a kiss here and there with a sanding drum.

the barrel was clocked in about 50 degrees under timed. That was hard to fix without a lathe. It took quite a while with very careful file work to time the barrel to within 30 degrees hand tight. Doing the calculations I only had to remove about .003 inches, but if one is being extra careful that takes a while.

extractor tool is the only tool I bought. I thought removing the extractor could be done with what I had on hand. Negative. I mean, I probably could have, but not without risking damage to me or to parts.

NoAngel
11-02-2016, 09:00 PM
I'll double down on the FALFILES comment. What a bunch of dip-sheets. They're either lazy or snobby or both. I sent several emails over the last few days. I could see new members names at the bottom of the screen. A new one every time and I checked on this a few times a day so they ARE taking new people.
I'm not surprised though. Most internet forums are eat with the most socially retarded people earth has to offer. They can go pound sand.

No Blue
11-02-2016, 09:49 PM
FAL and AKfiles are owned by the same 'human'. Lots of subhumans on both of those forums. The guy that posts about the lack of toilets in India is the top poster at AKfiles, to give you an idea. But the lack of toilets in India keeps me up at night...they're just buried in **** over there.

Clark
11-03-2016, 11:25 AM
I built FALs in the 1990s; heavy Australian, STG-58, and British. The Gunplumber's [Mark Graham]'s book "FN FAL and L1A1 Home Gunsmithing" revised 2-2-2001 is a book that was helpful to me in my last build with STG-58 kits and Imbel receivers.
The FAL FILES never was a polite forum like Boolits.
I was flamed out of there in 2000 when I declared all the load books were wrong and Tokarevs are stronger than CZ52s per my calculations and experiments.
I don't know what would be going on in there if almost no FAL kits are coming into the country for the last 20 years.

I paid $25.
Here it is for free
https://murdercube.com/files/Firearm%20Manuals/FN%20FAL%20&%20L1A1%20Home%20Gunsmithing%20-%20Graham.pdf

seagiant
11-03-2016, 05:00 PM
Hi,
I built a few back in the day with Mark Grahams vid!

I used FORGED IMBEL Recievers and the US Made parts needed to make it 922 compliant!

The FAL has close to twice the parts of a M-14...

So is a little more involved and time consuming to build...

Especially if you are going to do your own refinishing!

Here is a pic of my Austrian Steyr Damiler Puch STG-58 built on a IMBEL logo forged receiver with the original Hammer Forged Barrel!!!

She's a hammer!

I finished it with Brownell's Manganese Parkerizing!

NoAngel
11-03-2016, 05:21 PM
Very nice. Thank you!

adcoch1
11-03-2016, 07:06 PM
Imbel is probably the best AVAILABLE receiver, behind Steyr. A good kit is a good start. Whatever receiver you pick go over it with a micrometer and make sure its as it should be. And as far as the falfiles go, registration takes a month. No kidding... But the info is there... FALs are addicting, Good luck!

seagiant
11-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Hi,
Haven't built a FAL in awhile (working on m-14's now)

But the last I knew the best readily available FORGED receiver was DS Arms!

The $200 FORGED Imbels are history now!

When I was buying STG-58 parts kits for $150 hec, the Steyr HF barrel was worth more than that!

Those were the days, excellent parts kits and forged receivers on the cheap!

Clark
11-07-2016, 07:03 PM
I started building FALs in the 90s, I quit in the 90s.
But building rifles moved on for me. For the last 16 years I have built; 98 Mausers, Win M70s, Rem700s, Sav110s, Mosin 91/30s, Win 1885s.
Got to rebuild a milling machine head and a lathe transmission.
It has opened doors for me.