PDA

View Full Version : At long last, My Ruger 327 has arrived!

rintinglen
10-25-2016, 01:43 PM
Well, it is only a year and 3 months after they were announced, and only 10 months since they were given the blessing by my worthless state justice department, but my LGS called to tell me that the revolver I have had on order for 9 months has finally arrived.
I have had a lot of fun in the last year shooting my Single Sevens--they have proven to be exceptionally accurate--at least on those days that no one sticks a q-tip on my front sight. My brother has both the 22lr and 357 versions of the 4.2 Inch Sp and he has more or less convinced me that I need one myself. So I ordered one. And finally, Ruger has given birth to one for me.

I have a few questions Though.

First, does any one know whether the cylinder will accommodate cartridges longer than 1.5"? That is my sole remaining complaint with my Single Sevens. They are strictly limited to 1.500" or they will be sticking out of the front of the cylinder. I hope that the Sp 101 is able to digest a slightly longer cartridge, as I have about 75 that I loaded up that are too long for the Single 7.

Secondly, how sturdy is the front sight. I have had problems with the glow rod coming loose from my Redhawk. Should I pre-emptively break out the super glue or is it not necessary?

I'll post pics when my 10 day wait is up.

Green Frog
10-25-2016, 06:47 PM
I have no experience with the SP 101 in 327, but since it's a "medium frame" sized DA, I would guess the cylinder will be a bit longer than the Single Seven... hopefully somebody else will come along with specifics. Meanwhile, I'll tell you MY medium frame 327 (a custom gun built on a Model 66 S&W) is a joy to shoot, even with some very "enthusiastic" loads. I was fortunate enough to get a single action the larger Blackhawk 327 (eight shooter) model before the Single Seven was built, so it is my test bed for my most powerful loads. As the old cowboy once said, "She's hell for stout!" Hope you'll enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Froggie

shooting on a shoestring
10-25-2016, 08:37 PM
Glad you got one. Love mine. Put Hogues on it.

Front sight is fine. I've had NOE 315115 SWCs at an honest measured 1503 fps. Recoil is mild, not fierce enough for worrying about the light tube. I'd really prefer a patridge, but that light tube isn't a problem.

Im away from mine right now, but the cylinders in the SP101s accommodate 357s so they have plenty of room to explore heavy for caliber boolits.

I honed the hammer sear a bit and pulled out virtually all the creep in SA. It's a shooter. Great platform for the caliber. Great caliber. Best 32 ever.

CHeatermk3
10-25-2016, 10:40 PM
Congrats..I handled one at my LGS while awaiting my Redhawk--seriously considered getting one but did not want to start on another cal. while I waited for the RH--in 45/45acp.

Turns out I don't really care for the way the round-butt RH feels in my hand; kinda a bummer since the round butt was about the main reason I ordered it. Oh well save up and jump on the next one I have the $$ for I guess.

Guesser
10-26-2016, 09:05 AM
I bought one of the 4.2" 327 SP-101s last year, used. It is a fine gun with one thing I don't like........the hammer is difficult to cock due to the placement of the pivot pin. I'm going to change springs and see if that helps. I have a Single 7, the SP is a better platform for the 327 cartridge mainly due to the longer cylinder.

Gus Youmans
10-26-2016, 11:14 AM
rintinglen,

I cannot answer your question about cartridge length directly but I can tell you that the cylinder length on my SP101 is 1.581" and the cylinder length on my Single Seven is 1.454", a difference of .127". Cartridge length in the SP101 has not been an issue for me, even when loading 115 and 120 grain bullets.

Gus Youmans

rintinglen
10-26-2016, 12:04 PM
rintinglen,

I cannot answer your question about cartridge length directly but I can tell you that the cylinder length on my SP101 is 1.581" and the cylinder length on my Single Seven is 1.454", a difference of .127". Cartridge length in the SP101 has not been an issue for me, even when loading 115 and 120 grain bullets.

Gus Youmans

Thanks A lot! That is exactly the info I was hoping for.