PDA

View Full Version : 1 or 2 Stage Trigger Poll

buckshotshoey
10-25-2016, 12:17 PM
I fell in love with the 2 stage trigger since using the one on a Rock River Arms National Match.
I have often wondered why more sporter rifles dont come with one. I would like to have one in my Savage bolt gun, my lever gun, my slug gun, and even my muzzle loader. I now feel that single stage triggers belong in shot guns, not rifles.

If you had the option, would you replace your single with a two stage? And why?

Hickory
10-25-2016, 12:21 PM
Missed it.

buckshotshoey
10-25-2016, 12:32 PM
Missed it.

OK. Figured it out.

Butchman205
10-25-2016, 12:39 PM
I can shoot a two stage trigger great...if I don't shoot with a single stage prior on the same day. That being said...I can shoot with a two stage, then swap to a single stage with no probs.

Therefore I prefer a single stage on all of my rifles, except for my FNAR .308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas by God
10-25-2016, 01:37 PM
For me I'm fine with double stage on ARs and such. But on my bolt actions I want a single stage from 1-1/2 to 4 lbs. Not a fan of glock triggers on rifles lol. I know an accutrigger is not a two stage per se but they annoy me. My opinion only. Best, Thomas.

country gent
10-25-2016, 02:12 PM
I have shot 2 stage triggers for many years in NRA High power rifle matches both service rifle and match rifle. I like being able to "pre load" the trigger with about half the trigger pull easily and add the last little when everythings just right. All my ARs M1As garands and even the model 70 match rifle are set up with 2 stage triggers. ( mostly Jewels) This is more personal prefrence than anything else, its what works for you.

runfiverun
10-25-2016, 04:25 PM
MEH?! shrug.
a good trigger is a good trigger.

dverna
10-25-2016, 07:59 PM
A good trigger is a good trigger. I like a single stage but would nor spend the money to replace good double stage.

Don Verna

M-Tecs
10-25-2016, 09:25 PM
For long range rifles two stage is my preference for both match rifles and service rifles. My two stage match rifles are 8 ounces and 8 ounces. On handguns single stage. One AR's for speed events single stage.

Scharfschuetze
10-25-2016, 09:42 PM
I'm a double stage trigger fan from my days with the M14 and M21. I also enjoy the type on Springfield, Mauser and Arisaka bolt action rifles. While I've used numerous rifles with single stage triggers, I'm just more comfortable with the double stage triggers.

Given my preference, I upgraded my two AR 15 match rifles (National Match and action shooting) with double stage triggers. A properly tuned double stage trigger in a National Match M14 or M1A will use up a pound and a half or so for the first stage, which reduces the final let off in the second stage, yet still make the required pull weight under both CMP and NRA rules. With proper trigger control, you can use a double stage trigger just like a single stage trigger after the first shot of a rapid fire string or when clearing targets while speed shooting.

I also think that they are safer in cold weather when your fingers are numb or when you have gloves.

I guess this is probably a bit off topic, but I also shoot all of my S&W and Colt revolvers double action, even at extended ranges. That is unless I'm shooting single handed bullseye (NRA-CMP) type shooting.

I din't vote because the way the question is worded, either answer can support either option other than the "Doesn't Matter" option. Drop the "1 or" in the question and then it will be a valid question.

dkf
10-25-2016, 10:04 PM
All depends on what I am doing with the rifle. For a bench tackdriver then I'll take a 2 stage with a light pull. For an AR I'll use for self defense I'll take a single stage with around a 5.5lb pull.

buckshotshoey
10-26-2016, 05:26 AM
I'm a double stage trigger fan from my days with the M14 and M21. I also enjoy the type on Springfield, Mauser and Arisaka bolt action rifles. While I've used numerous rifles with single stage triggers, I'm just more comfortable with the double stage triggers.

Given my preference, I upgraded my two AR 15 match rifles (National Match and action shooting) with double stage triggers. A properly tuned double stage trigger in a National Match M14 or M1A will use up a pound and a half or so for the first stage, which reduces the final let off in the second stage, yet still make the required pull weight under both CMP and NRA rules. With proper trigger control, you can use a double stage trigger just like a single stage trigger after the first shot of a rapid fire string or when clearing targets while speed shooting.

I also think that they are safer in cold weather when your fingers are numb or when you have gloves.

I guess this is probably a bit off topic, but I also shoot all of my S&W and Colt revolvers double action, even at extended ranges. That is unless I'm shooting single handed bullseye (NRA-CMP) type shooting.

I din't vote because the way the question is worded, either answer can support either option other than the "Doesn't Matter" option. Drop the "1 or" in the question and then it will be a valid question.

All good points. And i think we can use the "maybe" for "doesn't matter". I should have worded it that way.

6bg6ga
10-26-2016, 07:19 AM
One stage for me around 3lbs is fine.

castalott
10-26-2016, 09:45 AM
Having cut my teeth on Mausers back in the day.... I like a good 2 stage trigger!

Mk42gunner
10-26-2016, 09:54 AM
I agree with "A good trigger is a good trigger."

With that said, I do prefer a two stage trigger.

Robert

Yodogsandman
10-26-2016, 10:01 AM
Single stage for me. I've never shot a 2 stage that I didn't hate. Why adjust for over travel, creep and pull, then ruining it with 2 stages. It is safer for servicemen to use, I guess.

tbx-4
10-26-2016, 04:03 PM
I'm a double stage trigger fan from my days with the M14 and M21. I also enjoy the type on Springfield, Mauser and Arisaka bolt action rifles.

With proper trigger control, you can use a double stage trigger just like a single stage trigger after the first shot of a rapid fire string or when clearing targets while speed shooting.

I din't vote because the way the question is worded,...

My experience totally agrees with these statements. Cut my teeth on Lee Enfields, prefer old battle rifles to hunting rifles... even for hunting.

HABCAN
10-26-2016, 09:33 PM
Love 'em BOTH. "A good trigger is a Good Trigger."

samari46
10-26-2016, 11:22 PM
Timney sells a two stage trigger for the Rem 700. Check out their website. I shoot a lot of mil surps and have come to prefer a good two stage trigger. Frank

sharps4590
10-27-2016, 07:45 AM
Neither. Over the last 40+ years I've come to prefer either double or single set triggers with double set having a slight preference.

tazman
10-27-2016, 09:01 AM
All depends on what I am doing with the rifle. For a bench tackdriver then I'll take a 2 stage with a light pull. For an AR I'll use for self defense I'll take a single stage with around a 5.5lb pull.

I agree with this completely even though several of my "bench" rifles have single stage triggers. I like to be able to feel the trigger before it breaks.

buckshotshoey
10-28-2016, 09:03 AM
i'm a little surprised the votes would be so close.

I think maybe my first experience with a two stage was a good one because the RRA National Match trigger is a GOOD one! I was dissatisfied with the trigger on the M16 i shot at a Camp Perry M16 EIC match. I really did suck, but i do understand it was on an A2 with a 3 round burst selection. The military coach assigned told me a little secrete about haw to set the cam in it for slow fire rounds.....

The cam in a 3 rnd burst M16 has 3 positions. With an empty chamber, VERY slowly pull back the charge handle until you hear a click. If it single clicks, pull charge handle half way, release, and dry fire. If you hear a double click, lock bolt to rear, apply safety, insert round in chamber (you have to single load during slow fire rounds), and close the bolt. This double click tells you the cam is in the top position, and trigger pull will be the lightest.

And it did work. The trigger pull on some of those M16's are horrendous. I guess if I had to judge a 2 stage triggers based on one of those, my opinion would change to preferring a single stage.

Scharfschuetze
10-29-2016, 11:40 AM
I was dissatisfied with the trigger on the M16 i shot at a Camp Perry M16 EIC match. I really did suck, but i do understand it was on an A2 with a 3 round burst selection.

That was probably the worst trigger system ever foisted upon a soldier. I always thought that it was a technical solution to a training failure. Hard to believe that the USMC was responsible for it. As you found out, you had three separate trigger pulls when set to semi-automatic and to set it up for the lightest let off for each slow fire shot at 600 yards was time consuming and fatiguing on a hot and humid day.

There was never any need for a burst device in the A2 in my opinion. Good training and good NCOs should have seen to that. In SOF, we went back to the A1 trigger with our adoption of the M4A1 in the early 90s. We tried to retro-modify our M16A2s with the M16A1 trigger group at the adoption of the A2, but FORCOM denied the change.

Isn't Camp Perry fun? It's an experience that every serious marksman should enjoy.

buckshotshoey
10-29-2016, 01:03 PM
That was probably the worst trigger system ever foisted upon a soldier. I always thought that it was a technical solution to a training failure. Hard to believe that the USMC was responsible for it. As you found out, you had three separate trigger pulls when set to semi-automatic and to set it up for the lightest let off for each slow fire shot at 600 yards was time consuming and fatiguing on a hot and humid day.

There was never any need for a burst device in the A2 in my opinion. Good training and good NCOs should have seen to that. In SOF, we went back to the A1 trigger with our adoption of the M4A1 in the early 90s. We tried to retro-modify our M16A2s with the M16A1 trigger group at the adoption of the A2, but FORCOM denied the change.

Isn't Camp Perry fun? It's an experience that every serious marksman should enjoy.

DEFINETLY fun. but got too expensive for me. At 50 bucks a round, and the cost of everything else associated, I had to give it up.

Point-Man
10-31-2016, 09:51 AM
I prefer the two stage trigger. That`s what I grew up shooting and just works best for me.