PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolit load data for 50bmg

montanamike
10-24-2016, 09:47 PM
I have some h50bmg and us869 that I've been messing around with for jacketed load data. I was wondering if anyone has any load data for cast. I am using the NOE 850gr mould. I've read through all of the previous posts on this topic but there isn't much data. If anyone here is shooting these projectiles please let me know where to start. I've called Hodgdon and they were pretty much no help. They just kept saying start 10% less than the listed maximum data. I have loaded a few with trailboss to try but couldn't get good groups (this was before I talked to hodgdon and they said I should not use that powder for the 50)

Thanks
Mike

SciFiJim
10-25-2016, 09:09 PM
I don't have any load data for you, but a possible starting point for a solution. Look into how load data is developed for a wildcat cartridge. I am not sure the process can be extended to 50BMG, but it might be a place to start. Hope you can find what you need.

maxreloader
10-25-2016, 09:16 PM
This is a "Rockrat" design... ask Rockrat, he is a member here.

montanamike
10-25-2016, 11:16 PM
OK, thanks I'll send him a pm.

TheGrimReaper
10-27-2016, 09:32 AM
What about taking the boolit weight you have , and what powder you want to use . Go to the lowest starting weight and reduce by 20%?

longbow
10-27-2016, 11:14 AM
I see you have the NOE 850 gr. mould so you are aware of that. I was going to say that there had been a group buy on a .50BMG mould so there should be some people loading for it but you are not getting responses so far.

I did a bit of a search myself and while there is considerable "J" bullet data available, cast loads are sadly lacking. I am a bit surprised simply because it must be so expensive to reload that a cast option would make it somewhat more affordable and provide lower recoil loads as well. Those comments coming from a "frugal" (read cheap) reloader.

I guess most people loading for the .50 want the full power loads. Me, I would kinda like a .50 but more like a .500 Whisper, .50 Razorback or .50 Hushpuppy but of course that is me and doesn't help you.

I did find these links though and there is some info that may be useful.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?2192-50-BMG-Cast-Bullet
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=3&t=282520

Good luck!

Longbow

scottyp99
10-30-2016, 04:46 AM
Ever thought about using black powder? Heh, heh.....sorry, I just couldn't resist.....

Scott