PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up from my first PC failure

shaman
10-24-2016, 08:48 AM
A while back, I wrote y'all regarding a failed powder coat project I'd started with my Marlin 336. I'd been experimenting with a lee GC mold and powder coated the bullets. The short version is that the PC made the bullets too fat for the chamber. The first remedy that y'all suggested was to reseat the bullets a bit deerper. I gave it a try and this weekend, I took the rounds out with me. Dismal failure. The lever still would not close on a significant number of rounds.

Time for plan B. I used a Hornady bullet puller and pulled all the bullets this AM. However, I am now left with the GC stuck in the brass. I tried a kenetic bullet puller and tried to bang them out to no avai.

My question for y'all is this: Is it okay to just take them out back and shoot them with the GC in the neck? Has anyone tried this and had adverse results?

I'm recasting the bullets and will try a non-PC'd version with 45-45-10 lube. I'm testing two powders: Universal and H4895. The Universal works great for reduced loads. They are definately going to be used for getting Granddaughter #1 up to speed with rifles when she comes online in a year or two. In regards to the H4895: what would be your suggestions for a good starting load now that I am no longer powder coating?

rancher1913
10-24-2016, 08:55 AM
you probably need to invest in a sizer, just sayin. don't give up on coating too quick, it does have its place.

shaman
10-24-2016, 09:09 AM
I sized them to .309 using a Lee sizer. That's one reason I was surprised this happened. In reality the problem is more an issue of not seating the bullet deep enough, but with this batch, I tried seating them deeper, and it didn't work-- not without crushing the cases.

I haven't given up on PC, not in any way. I just realize this mold, the Lee 30 cal 170 GC just is not right for the Marlin 336 when I use PC. I suspect everything will be okay when I try tumble lube. Either way, I'm hooked on PC for several chamberings, especially 357 Mag and 35 Whelen.

farmerjim
10-24-2016, 09:16 AM
"My question for y'all is this: Is it okay to just take them out back and shoot them with the GC in the neck? Has anyone tried this and had adverse results?"
Don't do it. You probably will not get enough pressure to ignite the powder. You can flip them sideways with a punch or nail, and pull them out with tweezers or thin needle nose pliers.

shaman
10-24-2016, 09:46 AM
"My question for y'all is this: Is it okay to just take them out back and shoot them with the GC in the neck? Has anyone tried this and had adverse results?"
Don't do it. You probably will not get enough pressure to ignite the powder. You can flip them sideways with a punch or nail, and pull them out with tweezers or thin needle nose pliers.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

OS OK
10-24-2016, 09:54 AM
It looks like you'll have to take a few minutes to make up a dummy round for each of the different nose profiles so you'll have an accurate measurement of the chamber.

shaman
10-24-2016, 10:18 AM
I pulled the hemostats out of my fly fishing vest and gave it a try.

Success!!! Thanks.

I had expected it to be far harder than it was. Once the GC was pushed into the powder and the powder dumped, it was just a simple matter of inverting the case and sticking the hemostat in.

Yes, I agree. The next time I try this, I will pay a lot closer attention to where the bullet sits in relation to the chamber.

I've got 100 bullets cast out of the pulled ones from this project-- cast them this morning waiting for answers to this thread. For those of you who have not tried it, the PC just acts as flux and burns off.

So given a 170 GC'd Lee 309 bullet, what do y'all suggest for a starting load of H4895?

farmerjim
10-24-2016, 10:21 AM
I went and looked at that Boolit and it looks like a bore rider nose. The PC is probably making the nose too big to go in. Popper, in a thread here has devised a nose sizer out of a washer that works for him.
I am using the Lee C309-170-f in my 308. Instead of powder coating, I Hi-Tek it. Hi-Tek is much thinner. If I am going to push it fast, I use a little Bens Liquid lube or 45-45-10 on top of the Hi-Tek.
My Neighbor came over yesterday and sighted in his Marlin 336 in 35 Rem on my range. It had been bore sighted in the store, and we had to go to 25 yards to even get it on paper. They are now all in a 1 in circle at 100 yds. See if you can find Poppers thread, It may solve your problem.

RogerDat
10-24-2016, 10:26 AM
I don't know your exact steps but for what it is worth I apply gas checks running through a Lee sizer. Then PC and size again, I also use an NOE base chamfer tool to remove any PC flash on the base at this time. Not sure if this would address your issues or not. PC adds diameter and I found it hard to get GC on to a bullet after PC so I run them through sizer both to seat GC and post PC. Bit more work but they are the desired size when done. On the worn bore Mil-Surp it may be desirable to not resize a second time to keep the bullet larger but 2x is my normal process.

popper
10-24-2016, 10:27 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?314335-PC-nose-too-big&p=3783512&viewfull=1#post3783512
See if this works.

runfiverun
10-24-2016, 11:21 AM
try 27grs.

PoisonIvyMagnet
10-24-2016, 01:39 PM
PC coating can work really well in a Marlin 336. I tried using a Lee mold first myself, but found the boolits were too small in diameter to shoot well, even after coating. Needed fatter boolits, sized down to 0.311 after PC coat. Also, Marlins tend to not have much (or any) throat, so getting fatter boolits to chamber can be a problem. I rented a 1/2 degree taper, 30 cal throat reaming tool from CH4D to fix the issue. Rifle shoots beautifully now with my cast PC rounds.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

wimms
10-25-2016, 01:22 AM
You can run loaded rounds through Bulge Buster y'know..

Coopaloop86
10-25-2016, 01:50 AM
I load for 2 336s with that exact boolit except I use Hi-Tek instead of PC in all of my rifle calibers. Personally I feel that it is slightly more accurate. Sized to .311 and COAL of 2.54 I get great results.

Geezer in NH
10-26-2016, 02:45 PM
You can run loaded rounds through Bulge Buster y'know..On the nose of a 30 cal bullet in a 30/30, I don't think so

Lloyd Smale
10-27-2016, 06:34 AM
to get your checks out take a small pin punch and a hammer and tap on the side of the check till it tips 90 degrees and grab it with some needle nose pliers

rintinglen
10-27-2016, 12:19 PM

This^^^^
I have considerable expertise doing this having once pulled 200+ 358-156 boolits which all left the Gas Check behind. Poke the with a small screw driver or an awl off center to turn them sideways and pull the out with needle nosed pliers or a pair of forceps.

Recaster
10-27-2016, 05:14 PM
I had a similar problem chambering pc'd boolits (c-309-170-f) in my marlin 336a.

I found that if I powder coated only the bases, up to the crimp groove, and left the nose bare they would chamber just fine.

I'm still working on my technique but although they don't look that great they give fair accuracy.

scottfire1957
10-27-2016, 09:13 PM
"The short version is that the PC made the bullets too fat for the chamber. "

Size AFTER powdercoating. If you already did that, it is not the powdercoat.

Edit. I will rephrase: it is PROBABLY not the powdercoat.

Oklahoma Rebel
10-27-2016, 11:10 PM
loyd, you're late to the party buddy lol, read post#4. just teasing ya

tomme boy
10-28-2016, 08:36 AM
What kind of checks were they? Thats why I only use Hornady checks now. They don't do this