PDA

View Full Version : Sellers regret

KReider477
10-24-2016, 07:28 AM
About a year ago I sold a handgun to my nephew and his father. I had liked the gun but it was never used and they wanted an affordable handgun. This morning while working an officer of mine pulled over a felon and through a legal inventory of the vehicle found that gun. Some how it went from my nephew to a felon possible drug dealer.

I feel absolutely sick to my stomach about this and feel as though this is all on me. I still don't know how it went from who I sold it to to where it ended up but the thought of how we found it is troubling me.

Sorry to put all that out there but I had to release this is some anonymous way before it just boiled over in my head.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OBIII
10-24-2016, 07:35 AM
If you thought that the father and nephew were reliable persons, especially the father, then you should not blame yourself. A lot of things can happen to a person in a year, causing them to change from the person you once knew.
OB

shaner
10-24-2016, 07:36 AM
Maybe it was stolen from them? Did you ask them?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Butchman205
10-24-2016, 07:37 AM
Hang in there man...pm coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KReider477
10-24-2016, 07:43 AM
I sent him a message to see if it was stolen. But I also went through all guns reported stolen in our jurisdiction (which they live in) and it wasn't reported.

jmort
10-24-2016, 08:02 AM
Gun show sale???
Sale or trade ???
Unless they "loaned" it to the felon, no big deal. Once you sold it, your involvement ended. No need to assume the worst. Assume the best and figure it out.

44man
10-24-2016, 09:47 AM
Chances are it was stolen and your family did not check to report it. They might have not known it was gone. I had the same once when kids broke in. Got our wedding rings out of a drawer, not found missing for a long time. We did not wear them, mine because of work.
But then to get some money, who knows.

Geezer in NH
10-24-2016, 10:08 AM
NOT on you period. A gun is an inanimate object.

NavyVet1959
10-24-2016, 10:14 AM
Would you feel the same way if you had sold a baseball bat or hammer to them and then they resold it to a 3rd party who used it to kill someone?

It's just a tool, nothing more. When we start thinking that it is somehow different than any other tool, we fall into the leftist regulation trap where they try to brainwash people into thinking that guns are somehow *different* than any other tool that can be deadly when used in certain ways.

Uncle Jimbo
10-24-2016, 10:45 AM
Would you feel the same way if you had sold a baseball bat or hammer to them and then they resold it to a 3rd party who used it to kill someone?

It's just a tool, nothing more. When we start thinking that it is somehow different than any other tool, we fall into the leftist regulation trap where they try to brainwash people into thinking that guns are somehow *different* than any other tool that can be deadly when used in certain ways.

Well said.

runfiverun
10-24-2016, 11:04 AM
Sam put it pretty much the same as I would have.
your old little league bat, or golf club set, or the old metal stool from your shed could have all ended up in that truck/car/mini-van.
it's a chunk of metal and plastic or wood.
you did nothing wrong in any way.
if we worried about what happened to all the guns we swapped or sold we'd all have heart attacks from the stress,
or turn into Sarah Winchester.
I doubt the guy that sold him the car is stressing things.

44man
10-24-2016, 11:28 AM
Remember lawn darts that killed so many? The smart stood well off to the side. We never shot a BB gun at each other as kids. It is an object that will never jump up and do harm.
If I give you a bottle and you crash because you drank it, is it my fault?

tunnug
10-24-2016, 11:30 AM
Until you hear from your relatives all everyone can do is hypothesize, it could very well be they hit hard times and had to sell the gun which in turn got sold again or stolen at that time ending up with a felon.
Once the gun is sold to someone you believe to be lawful it's out of your control to what happens after, no sense agonizing about it.

blackthorn
10-24-2016, 12:08 PM
Not your circus, Not your monkey!

KReider477
10-24-2016, 02:11 PM
I heard from him this morning, he said he sold it to help him pay for a car. Now with that information the officers will have to try and find out whom he sold it to. It is the sellers responsibility to find out if the purchaser can own a firearm. He won't face charges or anything but we need to understand how the felon for the weapon. Hopefully it opens his eyes about selling weapons.

44man
10-24-2016, 03:23 PM
I have sold guns but never to a stranger. My friends still have mine. The deal is if they don't want them anymore, I buy them back. Not going to happen, too good to part with again.

Char-Gar
10-24-2016, 03:29 PM
You sold the handgun in good faith to people your felt to be responsible. That is where your responsibility ends. If you just want to beat up on yourself, then go ahead and have fun, but it is wasted time and emotion. You have no guilt on this.

Blackwater
10-24-2016, 06:49 PM
Like a lot of things in this life, guns have a way of winding up in all sorts of hands. Criminals and those of ill will and criminal bent always try to appear "nice" when buying a gun from a civilian. And they're good at it. You just can't tell who's a criminal and who's not by looking at them. No foul on his part, nor even neglect, almost assuredly.

jmorris
10-24-2016, 07:32 PM
If I sell a firearm to a friend in need,it is with the no hand shake needed, stipulation that I have the right of first refusal if/when they ever go to sell it.

I don't mind selling a friend something they want or need for a "deal" but it would upset me if they took advantage of my kindness.

Not saying your kin has done any of this because we only know the end of the story.

NavyVet1959
10-25-2016, 05:12 AM
About a year ago I sold a handgun to my nephew and his father. I had liked the gun but it was never used and they wanted an affordable handgun. This morning while working an officer of mine pulled over a felon and through a legal inventory of the vehicle found that gun. Some how it went from my nephew to a felon possible drug dealer.

Hey, selling drugs probably involves handling a lot of cash. Businesses that handle a lot of cash are more likely to get robbed.

The sailors and the pilots, the soldiers and the law
The payoffs and the ripoffs and the things nobody saw
Don't matter if it's heroin, cocaine or hash,
You've got to carry weapons 'cause you always carry cash
There's lots of shady characters and lots of dirty deals
Every name's an alias in case somebody squeals
It's the lure of easy money, it's got a very strong appeal
Perhaps you'd understand it better standing in my shoes
It's the ultimate enticement, it's the smuggler's blues

Besides, do we *really* care if the gangbangers and druggies are killing each other?

kbstenberg
10-25-2016, 08:15 AM
Bravo !!!! NavyVet The wife and I have the same view on those that die from a Drug Over Dose.

Geezer in NH
10-25-2016, 10:52 AM
Yep +1

starmac
10-25-2016, 04:52 PM
As far as I know, all we have to ask when selling a firearm through a private sale, is as if they are a citizen of this country, no burden of proof as to they can legally own a firearm or not. I generally do not sell though, but have the trouble of buying and keeping, those that I have gotten rid of have been given away for the most part.

I gave my cousins their first rifle, sort of a tradition. I took one hunting the next year after giving him his rifle and he had a borrowed rifle, he had sold the one I gave him, which I didn't care for, but it was his to do as he pleased with.

KCSO
10-25-2016, 08:36 PM
I know just how you feel I sold some knives to one of my N/A deputies and 3 nights later a doofus pulled one on my partner. Makes you think some. We found out he snuck into the deputies house and took the knife, but still...