PDA

View Full Version : Sizing question

hammer58
10-23-2016, 10:22 PM
I am using the Lee TL358-158 SWC mold for my wife's Ruger SP101 4" barrel. I am sizing them to .358 with the Lee Sizing kit. I don't quench them at this point because they are going to be used primarily with light loads for plinking. How long do I need to wait after they have been cast to size them? Should I wait until they have had time to cure before sizing?

Thanks for your advise in advance.:)

runfiverun
10-23-2016, 10:39 PM
when you get to it.
I have done them the same day and have waited 2-3 years.
if I could keep a schedule I'd wait a week but that's just my preference.

telebasher
10-23-2016, 10:50 PM
The Lee line of Tumble Lube bullets are designed to be loaded and shot as cast. Unless they are to big to fit in the chambers try casting-lubing-loading and see if they don't fit in your revolver. I will hazard a guess and predict you will save time and get better accuracy as I found out many years ago.

hammer58
10-24-2016, 11:33 PM
Thanks guys. The reason I have been sizing is because I was worried about leading problems. Still having some minor leading so I think I'll try shooting them as-cast to see if I get a better seal and cleaner barrel

Yodogsandman
10-25-2016, 03:09 PM
Even if you decide not to size, you should wait to shoot them for about 3 weeks for the alloy to age harden, if you don't heat treat. Age hardening in lead alloys takes place for about the first 20 days after casting and then only slowly hardens over the next few years up to it's maximum before it starts to decline. So most of the hardening takes place in the first 3 weeks. Alloy composition will make a difference in the amount of time it takes but, 3 weeks has always worked for me when using air cooled alloys.

Water dropping or oven heat treating/quenching will only take about 5 days to age harden to almost the alloys maximum hardness.

Age hardening only works on lead alloys that include antimony. So a Pb/Sn mix doesn't age harden.