PDA

View Full Version : I need to adjust my sights

c1skout
10-23-2016, 09:55 PM
My Traditions 32 percussion rifle hits about 6" high at 50 yds. I've tried adjusting the powder charge both up and down but can't get it where I want it by changing the load.

Would I be better off raising the front or filing down the rear. My front sight is a brass blade, so I was thinking I could solder a piece of brazing rod to it. Would that hold up to field use?

What other options do I have? I'd rather not have to fit another set of sights...... but will if that would be best.

koger
10-23-2016, 10:38 PM
I would go online, and get a machined blade type sight, for the front and file to zero, the put a drop of brass on the edge facing you. You could also use a hack saw and make one in about half an hour, did this recently for a guy the day before ML. 6 shot and he was ready to go hunting.

Tatume
10-24-2016, 06:24 AM
Brazing will work.

mooman76
10-24-2016, 06:07 PM
It's your choice but plain sights like yours on the front are cheap. I'd get a new one. Is you rifle new and came this way or used and someone probably already filed it?

c1skout
10-24-2016, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. I built this rifle new last winter from a kit, the sights were installed new by me.

Today at work it occurred to me that I had an adjustable rear that I'd removed from a Marlin 22 in my junk box at home. I dug it up this evening and checked it over. I ended up lowering the sight notch, then cutting a bit off the sight blade to make it shorter than my factory sight. Next I had to do a bunch of filing to make a 3/8" dovetail fit whatever it is my barrel uses. I got it fit, pulled it back off and used cold blue to touch-up the bare metal.

It looks like the 3rd step on the elevator now sits about even with where my factory sight was, giving me 2 steps both lower and higher than what I did have with the standard sight. And it adds about 2" to the sight radius. Hopefully this will work for me, I should get to test it this week.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-24-2016, 10:28 PM
you might like this sight I have one on my Kentucky 45 http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/132532/marbles-bullseye-rear-sight-with-double-step-elevator-338-to-535-height-blue?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Gunsmithing%20-%20Gun%20Sights%20(Metallic)-_-Marble%27s-_-132532&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4rbABRD_gfPA2-uQqroBEiQA58MNdBxpqvUjODWnthhK9AVvoqEUU5im_V3apNmE t4ZXaycaAp5m8P8HAQ