PDA

View Full Version : A Johnny Cash Story

waarp8nt
10-23-2016, 09:11 PM
***Warning this Story has Absolutely nothing to do with Johnny Cash * Only the means by which a poor fellow assembled a .54 Caliber T/C Hawken "One Piece at a Time".

I've had a hankering to get me a .54 Caliber Thompson Center Hawken for some time now. With my Son in college and my Daughter fixing to go in a year and a half...my spending money is at an all time low. With a little Internet searching and some help from some old and new found fiends on the forum, I have managed to assemble one for an agreeable price. Most everything came from the forum, but one piece did not...the Renegade barrel that I chose to use on the project.

This issue came when I took my new to me rifle and my new to me Golden Retriever mix pup for a perimeter check of the fence on the old family 40 acre hobby farm. I loaded the Hawken and took off with the pup to check the fence. Two things were to happen, I was going to shoot the Hawken and see if the pup was gun shy. I never got to see if the pup was gun shy because the Hawken wouldn't touch off the round. The first cap snapped, but the main charge never went off so I installed another cap and again nothing. I immediately pulled the ball and shook out some powder, then tried another cap to see if the remaining powder would igniite, still nothing. Somewhat disappointed we continue to check the fence, it could be looked at later as nightfall was coming rather quickly.

The next day I took the rifle outside in an attempt to scrape the barrel with a brass attachment on the ramrod. Some more power came out on the tip of the tool. A little nervous about using anything that would cause a spark, I tried again to touch off any remaining powder with a cap. Nothing, the cap popped. I attached the screw end of the ball remover on the ramrod and attempted to remove any restrictions, the end came out with some crude on it so back to the brass end. Again, I tried a cap and waited a little bit so any residue should be burnt out. I could blow only a little back through the nipple. Not thrilled about the potential of face full of unburnt powder, I tried yet another cap...nothing. At this point I was getting frustrated, so I got a plastic glass of warm water, put a cleaning patch on the ramrod and tried to wash the barrel. The water was not flowing and it actually plugged up tight. I poured some of the water mixture down the barrel and attempted to flush through the nipple, yet most of the water came out the barrel end. I put the ball remover back on the ramrod and twisted a few rounds it became somewhat difficult to twist. It took a little force, but the ramrod came out and to my surprise a patch pulled out. The ramrod was one that I used before on a Renegade project, it had been marked for a T/C maxi, so when the mark fell into the barrel with a round ball I thought nothing of it. It also, falling far enough to show the barrel was not loaded. That darn patch sure had me fooled, and my previous marked ramrod didn't show an unfired load. While I understand there was a patch in the barrel when I bought it and likely it had been there awhile. The only think I can think is the patch moved somewhat up and down the barrel as the cap went off and I was able to blow some through the nipple. See pictures.

Hickory
10-23-2016, 09:18 PM
Interesting.

c1skout
10-23-2016, 09:37 PM
Does it go bang now?

waarp8nt
10-23-2016, 09:54 PM
3 shot, 2 inch round ball group at 50 yards off a shooting stick. Plan to bench it next week.

54bore
10-23-2016, 09:59 PM
I had this happen as well but i caught it before trying to shoot it. I bought a really nice old TC Hawken .54 Cal at a pawn shop, when i got home with it i immediately started a full on cleaning process, pulled the nipple and put the breech end in a 5 gallon bucket with 4-6 inches of warm water, i ran a patch down it and pulled water back n forth a few strokes, everything seemed great but all of a sudden i could NOT push water back out of the nipple, i swapped out the jag for the screw end ball puller and ran it down and started turning, sure enough i locked on to something and started pulling it out, it was an old flannel looking cleaning patch.

rodwha
10-23-2016, 10:33 PM
Have you tested the pup yet?

waarp8nt
10-23-2016, 10:45 PM
I had to put some snow guards on my Metal Roof, the pup didn't care much for the impact gun and just down right hid behind the dog house when I shot off the muzzleloader.

dondiego
10-24-2016, 09:30 AM
I had to put some snow guards on my Metal Roof, the pup didn't care much for the impact gun and just down right hid behind the dog house when I shot off the muzzleloader.

You are going to want to get a book on the proper method of introducing a pup to gunfire.

Hardcast416taylor
10-24-2016, 09:15 PM
Some years back I bought a Remington 700 ML .50 at a Sheriffs auction. Kids as well as adults were lifting the bolt handle and dry clicking it all Morning. When I got it home and was cleaning the outsides up I thought to drop the ramrod down the barrel to check smoothness. Imaging my surprise when the rod only went down as far as the 100 gr. powder charge and saboted bullet would let it go! Those local LEO`s really did a good check on that rifle when they took it in almost 2 years before from a drug house.Robert

fiberoptik
10-25-2016, 01:31 AM
I picked up a pair of used 50's, 1 sidelock, 1 inline. Got em home, started cleaning as they were a bit rusty & find them both double loaded! Powder & patched ball [emoji459] x2! Glad I didn't pop a cap, as I was in basement at the time. Great learning lesson to never never Never trust a gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pietro
10-25-2016, 02:06 AM
You are going to want to get a book on the proper method of introducing a pup to gunfire.

+1 - Amen...........

I've always had success by starting with my dogs by using a long-barreled (quieter) .22 Short for awhile, then gradually work up to louder ammo over several sessions (not all on the same day), until the pup will stand for the noise level of a shot from a magnum handgun.

reivertom
10-25-2016, 12:32 PM
I've seen several fellows complain about traditional MLs like they just don't work and how terrible they are. They usually ended up giving it to me to see why they wouldn't go BOOM. I could look at them for 10 seconds and see they were just plain dirty and/or rusty due to poor cleaning. I'd clean them enough to shoot, removing the old patches or crud from the barrel, and tell them how to clean it. I usually got a look like a dog staring at a ceiling fan. There have been thousands of good rifles ruined for no reasons other than laziness or ignorance.

54bore
10-28-2016, 04:26 AM
tell them how to clean it. I usually got a look like a dog staring at a ceiling fan. There have been thousands of good rifles ruined for no reasons other than laziness or ignorance.

I couldnt help but laugh at the dog and ceiling fan LOL!! This area is full of muzzleloaders rotting away as i type this, about everybody around here hunts, if you had a muzzleloader you could hunt elk in that designated season, MANY MANY guys around here bought muzzleloaders specifically for the muzzleloader elk season, most of them knew nothing about maintaining them then, and they dont know anymore today than when they bought them, 80s era was BIG on muzzle loader elk here, I have looked at several old muzzle loaders here that were shot back in the 80s-90s, they were never cleaned (or not cleaned properly and oiled) and put away.

leeggen
10-29-2016, 12:15 AM
Yeah sometimes those impact guns have a pitch that dogs don't care for. Mine hate it and when I lay it down she runs up and nips at it. Had a great pyr. dog that if a gun went off a mile away he would run and hide, but yet I could take my 270 and shoot while he stood by me and he would look around for what I shot with it. All about building that trust slowly.
CD

nicholst55
10-31-2016, 01:10 PM
I bought an unassembled flintlock kit from a guy one time, who assured me that the barrel had never even been loaded. I inserted a ramrod until it stopped, marked it, then compared my mark to the flash hole. Oops! The ramrod had stopped about an inch or so in front of the flash hole! Bottom line, there was a hardened powder charge in there - and a big rusty area where it had sat for years. No ball, but a powder charge. Go figure.

wjspratley1
12-01-2016, 06:08 PM
I bought my Springfield hawken used for 60$ it was disgusting now after I worked on it for a long while thewood is beautiful, no rust on the Barrell or in it. Had same issue can't figure out what was rammed into the breech almost looked like old news paper..dawn dish soap, boiling hot kettle water down the Barrell and scrubbed with a 12 GA bore brush...still couldn't get water to flow. Unscrewed the handle of the cleaning rod ( brass rod) and put it in my cordless 18 volt drill...and boy did it work and out came what looked like paper pulp, after that water flowed freely, 3 kettles full...shoots great now. After oiling and old englishing the wood, and brasso. She's a absolute beauty and a hell of a shooter.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

12-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Years ago I unwittingly had a cleaning patch in the barrel of my T/C Scout pistol. Hard day of hunting didn't offer any shots, so when I returned to camp, I "unloaded" it. Well, I tried. It wouldn't fire. Went through all the steps only to find the patch left in the breach before I loaded it. Must have come off while cleaning. Ahhh, experience -- good teacher.