PDA

View Full Version : More long range shooting with TC Omegas, and 300gr slugs!

koger
10-23-2016, 06:40 PM
Sun was nice, weather was nice, got out this afternoon to shoot some new 300gr ballistic tip bullets, with crush rib sabots from Harvester Muzzleloading. I shot very well with the 260 grains last week, but when talking to the guys at Harvester, and I understood this very well, the 300 grain slug has much more retained energy at longer ranges, past 150yds. I upped my charge to 100grains of Blackhorn 209. Per Harvesters instructions, I would be 2-2&1/2 inches low at 200-250yds on each BDC. I clicked the scope up the appropriate mount of clicks, shot 150 yds with bdc, dead on, 2 shots cut each other 1/2 right of the crosshair target! I went to 200yds, shot 2 shots, that bracketed the cross one on each side, 3rd shot cut the left hand hole a little bigger, under 2" group at 200yds!! I then went to the 250yds, and shot 2 with the 300gr slug, again the 2 shots were about a inch from the cross on each side, and 3/4 low. I shot 2 of the 260 grains, same load, same pattern, but 2.5 inches high, good to go!!! I then went to 300yds. and shot a target with 2 crosses, use the 300yd BDC, which aint too precise on a 3x9x40 at 300yds. First group was 2.5 inches left, 2 3/4 inch group, 2nd group shot at the bottom cross, was about 3 inches left,3.5 inches group. Now this was off sandbags, no fancy shooting rest, and with a gusting 15-20mph cross wind, with no windage compensation. If I put the crosshairs on the back edge of a big whitetail or Mulie shoulder, at any of these distances, every shot would have been in the boiler room, resulting in a dead deer. I also set 2 gallon jugs up at 125 yds and 175 yds, and with a sling wound tight on my arm in a field hunting position, managed to hit both first shot, the 300gr really exploded them. Real world hunting, I will keep my shots 250 and under, but feel very, very confident in these 2 rifles and scope setup. I will be cleaning them up, and storing them, ready go west in 4 1/2 weeks!!! A footnote on these guns, I bought one new, one use in mint condition, for under $200 each off inidividuals. I have another $300 in the scopes and mounts, a Nikon Inline XR300bdc and a Burris Fullfield 3x9x40 ballistic plex. I don't feel like that is very expensive for 2 complete setups, shooting the same two identical components, and them both shooting great! I have shot nearly 2 cans of Blackhorn 209 in 10 days, but good range work, at dead nuts ranges, is what makes thae one shot you may get important! Just thought I would share!

johnson1942
10-24-2016, 06:41 PM
sam their are a couple of deer waiting for you in north west nebraska. a puff of smoke and they are on the ground. going to see the rancher tomorrow about hunting on his land that we hunted last year. my son saw some bif elk on that land also, close to where you got you deer. their is also a huge muley buck with real goofy horns hanging around that area. the taxidermist that i take matts heads to said he would bet it got denutted some how and that why his horns are so different. they taste even better as they are like a steer. sam, we are going to have fun this year.

nagantguy
10-24-2016, 06:50 PM
thank you for sharing that, I'm on a new muzzlloader a accuracy quest, with sabots this time, as this one don't seem to like the reals I pcd and kurled. big lee 310 .230s in sabots seemed real promising, looking for more sabots now as all I had on hand was a mix match of various ones.

OverMax
10-24-2016, 07:45 PM
Practice makes perfect.

koger
10-24-2016, 08:06 PM
Just an FYI, guys, I was one of the very last guys in my area to use inlines. I still have a bunch of trad ML's, that I like shooting better, but when traveling 1500+ miles, to shoot one or two shots, I want a gun that will do what needs doing, without fail. I have shot competitively for over a decade at local, state, and national level, having medaled 31 times in NMLRA events. I have won the KY Bluegrass games, and several matches at State Championship. I am not a newb, nor one of those online trolls who has done all his shooting on a key board. As a gunsmith with 30+ years experience accurizing rifles, and building accurate hunting rifles, I have added that same experience to modern muzzle loading. I have a fast twist I am just now shooting paper patched slugs thru, but not enough range time with work and all, to get where I feel I need to be, to take out west. I am still the weak link in the chain.