PDA

View Full Version : Problem with crushing brass while seating

Jayhawkhuntclub
10-23-2016, 06:28 PM
Okay, so this is not a boolit question. But I need some expert advice. Reloading the 6.5 Grendel which I have reloaded for in the past but not often. So I reload some Hornady brass with my hunting load (123 Hornady SSTs) and it goes just fine. But then I decide to reload another box (once fired box of 20) of Hornady brass. This time with Hornady 123 gr A-max (same wt and same profile - essentially the same bullet externally). However, this time I'm slightly crushing the brass right below the shoulder. Nothing terrble, but bad enough that it won't chamber. So I bell the mouths thinking that may reduce the friction enough to not crush them. Same problem.[smilie=b: All the dies are set up the same as with the first batch that loaded and chambered fine (a couple hours earlier). SO it seems to me that either I have excessive neck tension or the brass is too soft (or both). Any thoughts on what to do?

One thought I had was to use Alox and lube the bullets until the cases work harden enough to load normally. One thing's for sure, Grendel brass is too expensive for me to throw out without some effort. Thanks.

243winxb
10-23-2016, 06:33 PM
Hornady seating die with the sliding sleeve?

Back out the seating die a little. The crimper could be hitting the case to much

Hick
10-23-2016, 06:51 PM
243winxb has it right. I had a similar problem and discovered the seating die was in a little too far-- cases that were close to the maximum length we getting crimped too hard crushing the cases. I backed off the die a half turn or so all all went well.

buckshotshoey
10-23-2016, 08:12 PM
What they said above. Was the brass that loaded ok, new brass? Then the once fired brass went wrong? Check ALL of your once fired brass for proper length. They may be to long, or longer then the previous brass. You will have to trim, or at least reset the die in the press. You could be hitting the crimping portion of the die with the once fired. Put sized case into press (without bullet) and raise to top of stroke. Screw down seating die till it touches case mouth. Then back off 1/4 turn. Then seat bullets by adjusting seater plug depth.

I assume you are NOT using bullets with a crimping groove? Are you are setting die to crimp the case mouth and using a bullet WITHOUT a groove? This could case a case to crumple.

If you are crimping, with proper bullet of course, seat bullet, then crimp in a separate step.

If you are not crimping, and are relying on case neck tension too hold bullet, you dont want to bell the case mouth. You need two to three thousandths tension to reliably hold the bullet in place.

Jayhawkhuntclub
10-23-2016, 08:34 PM
Let me clarify. 2 boxes of factory loaded ammo that I shot up (ie once fired). One box of brass loaded fine. The next box did not. No change in settings on the dies.
Dies are Hornady with sliding sleeve.

buckshotshoey
10-23-2016, 08:37 PM
Let me clarify. 2 boxes of factory loaded ammo that I shot up (ie once fired). One box of brass loaded fine. The next box did not. No change in settings on the dies.

Did you put a caliper to the brass after resizing? Two different lots of brass. One could have stretched more then the other. What was the length? Also keep track of your case neck tension measurements. Measure outside case neck before and after loading. That will tell you if you have excessive neck tension.

DLCTEX
10-23-2016, 08:54 PM
Still, chevCk overall length.

Jayhawkhuntclub
10-23-2016, 08:57 PM
You guys are awesome! I took the advice given. And sure enough the second box of brass was about 0.010" longer than the ones that loaded fine. I reset the dies and gave it a go. BINGO! I've been reloading for nearly 2 decades and I don't recall ever having this problem. But I knew there would be people here that know a lot more than I do. Thank you for ending my frustration![smilie=w:

leeggen
10-23-2016, 09:02 PM
Have you trimmed the brass to the same length? I had the same problem and as you they were a litttle longer than another bx.
CD

buckshotshoey
10-23-2016, 09:14 PM
You guys are awesome! I took the advice given. And sure enough the second box of brass was about 0.010" longer than the ones that loaded fine. I reset the dies and gave it a go. BINGO! I've been reloading for nearly 2 decades and I don't recall ever having this problem. But I knew there would be people here that know a lot more than I do. Thank you for ending my frustration![smilie=w:

All my once fired brass gets measured. And remeasured after every firing. It only takes a few moments to double check it. But make you take your measurement AFTER resizing.

I ran into a problem with Hornady Leverevoultion brass. It was actually shorter then the trim-to length. By .040"!!!!! Possible to reload with some alterations to set up, but a real P.I.T.A!!!! I threw them out and bought new Starline.

Moonie
10-26-2016, 12:58 PM
All my once fired brass gets measured. And remeasured after every firing. It only takes a few moments to double check it. But make you take your measurement AFTER resizing.

I ran into a problem with Hornady Leverevoultion brass. It was actually shorter then the trim-to length. By .040"!!!!! Possible to reload with some alterations to set up, but a real P.I.T.A!!!! I threw them out and bought new Starline.

I noticed the shorter Hornady brass on some 44 Mag brass I was reloading for one of my sons, enough shorter that it didn't seat to the crimp groove nor would it crimp without adjustment.

robg
10-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Check cases and trim, back off the die a little.

dondiego
10-28-2016, 11:07 AM

Just getting started good huh?

Texas by God
10-28-2016, 02:19 PM
I never let the shell holder contact the seating die because of that. Best, Thomas.