PDA

View Full Version : Anybody want a free gun?

Blackwater
10-23-2016, 04:27 PM
Don't get all excited! This isn't a custom #1 Ruger or really nice old Farquarharson. It's an old single shot from probably before or around the turn of the 20th century. It appears to be a single shot .410 shotgun. The action looks like an old falling block of smaller caliber and light build, but the lever simply breaks the barrel down for loading, a' la' the current crop of turn lever single shots like the NEF's, etc. It's rusty, and a friend gave it to me a couple of days ago. He said he's had it 25 years, and thought he might get around to fixing it up for shooting snakes or stuff in the yard, but just never got his round tuit. Now, he's really not capable of fixing it, and insisted that I take it. I told him that I'd never get the projects I already have finished, and he said that was OK, just find it a good home with someone who'd try to fix it up. So .... it's yours for a simple promise to give it a go.

The barrel won't lock up and I'm sure it's not safe to shoot as is, but it should be fixable. I'm supposing it'd take a little welding and cutting back down on the locking mechanism, and maybe a new spring for the hammer, since that's weak. The metal is rusty, but doesn't appear to be too deeply pitted. The barrel is a bit more rusted, but he kept oil on it fairly regularly, or at least every time he thought about it, and it's in pretty much the same to slightly better shape since he got it 25 years ago.

It looks similar to an old Stevens Favorite, but of course, is not a falling block. The writing is too far gone for me to read, but his wife rubbed a pencil over the inscription, and I think it looks like it was made in "Chickpee Falls, Mass., USA." Can't make out the manufacturer's name, and it may be some smaller outfit.

But it's cute as a runt puppy, even with the rust, and if it got fixed up, I believe it'd be safe to shoot, and would certainly be something one doesn't see every day. Should also make a good over the door gun for dealing with garden pests, etc., I think. The barrel seems to be made on a monoblock with the barrel fitted into it. The buttplate is missing, but that's easy to fix.

The buttstock, other than the missing buttplate seems to be tight and in good shape, except for being old and the finish gone. Wood appears to be pretty plain walnut. The forearm is kind'a blocky, and may not be original. One screw has a nut on it that seems to hold it to the barrel. There's a larger thumb screw, it appears, right at the very front of the action where the forend begins. Not sure if this is a takedown feature or what. Haven't gone into it at all, lest I decide to keep yet another "project" I may never get to.

I have a soft spot in my heart for these old single shots, and their graceful underlevers, and just want to find it a decent new home where someone will try to cure what ails it.

Free to the first one who posts here and says, "I'll fix it up." You only pay shipping. It weighs maybe 5 lbs. Anyone interested in these old guns here?

NyFirefighter357
10-23-2016, 04:31 PM
J. Stevens Arms Company was founded in 1864 at Chicopee Falls, MA as J. Stevens & Co. In 1886 the name was changed to J. Stevens Arms and Tool Co.

Milsurp Junkie
10-23-2016, 05:14 PM
I will try to fix it up. I have been looking for something to work on, and I would like to try to reincarnate it as a 30 caliber rook rifle of some sort.

Milsurp Junkie

Blackwater
10-23-2016, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the info NYFF. I knew one of the old companies were based there, but couldn't remember which one, and knew someone here probably would.

And Milsurp Junkie, it's yours. I think it'd be fine for what you're wanting to do. Don't know the dia. of the liner you have, but there ought to be something you could do with it. Ought to make a really fun little gun. And I think it'll clean up pretty well, too. Ought to be interesting to see what you come up with. The main problem will probably be getting it to lock up just right and get the face of the barrel back on the breech. It's @ .050" off the breech face as is, but that should be a neat task to get it back right again, and a neat challenge. I think the action size will be just about right for what you're wanting to do, too. It's sad to see these old guns just rust away. I think you'll enjoy the lever breaking it open, too. Ought to make for fast reloads if your garden gets inundated by a horde of mischevious rabbits!

It's good to see someone take the time to make these neat and interesting old guns work again, and use a little innovation in the process to boot. Thanks, and it might be a couple of days before I can ship it to you. PM me the details of where to send it. There's no SN#. If I can, I'll ship it straight to you. Will take it to the gunshop tomorrow and get it checked to make sure what I can do in shpg. I hope it works out really well for you. At least she's got a good new home!

Mauser48
10-23-2016, 11:58 PM
Wow that's very generous of you! Any pics before you ship it off? A falling block 410 sounds cool!

Green Frog
10-24-2016, 12:44 PM
Late to the party... but it sounds like you may have a Maynard there. Check out your google search skills using Maynard Rifle as the search words.

Froggie

Geezer in NH
10-24-2016, 02:06 PM
Lay odd's it is a Stevens 44shot. little break open garden gun pre-410. It can be put back on face with a bigger cross bolt same as any break open can be tightened.

Nice old gun for a project. Rounds can be made from 44/40 brass. The originals had a paper mache hollow bullet like front filled with shot.

Blackwater
10-24-2016, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I should've posted a pick but don't have a cord I need and can't remember to get one! My forgetter is the only thing I have that's getting stronger these days! Sorry. But Milsurp Junkie ought to want to show off his handiwork. I've never worked on a gun like this before, but they're very simple. Mostly a few levers, really. I'm just glad this little gun will be getting a new home where it'll get a facial and internal adjustments so it can again be of service. An old dentist friend of mine used to collect 1890 Win. .22's, and its offshoots, and had a soft spot in his heart for old .22 single shots. He had (I believe?) an "Ethan Allen" marked falling block with the most gracefully curved underlever I've ever seen. It was a real beauty. He had it about 75% restored, and I'm not sure he finished it before he passed away. This old man had neuropathy in his hands MUCH worse than mine, and his left hand was only good for laying on something to help it not move. Yet, he did some amazing restoration work on those neat old guns, and he knew chapter and verse on how the originals had been made, and what techniques and tools and chemicals were used. He was into REAL "Restorations," and NOT just fixin' stuff up! He had a very critical eye, and could tell you just about anything about any of the 1890's, or its offshoots, and was an amazing man and gunsmith in his retirement. Wrote a book on US grape vines, too. I miss him a lot.

These old guns will never be worth much, probably, but what they CAN do is be real eye and sentimental pleasers, and they can surely keep "working" at many things. If MJ makes it into a .32 S&W Long, I think it'll be a great little gun to hang over the back door towards the garden. That size bullet is a real "whacker" on varmints! I'm just glad some folks, Like Dr. Lane, my old friend, still love to work on these neat old guns. Thanks to MJ for taking it and giving it recussitation!

ascast
10-24-2016, 07:26 PM
++Geezer in NH parts float by on the auction houses on line, nice little rat gun

1Hawkeye
10-25-2016, 11:31 AM
Sounds like a Stevens marksman #12 in .44 shot shell.

Blackwater
10-25-2016, 10:32 PM
You may well be right, Hawkeye. I didn't have any .410's around to try in the chamber, and neither did my friend. I knew there was some sort of .44 shot ctgs. way back when, but couldn't recollect just what they were. I'd have loved to keep it and fix it up myself, but I just don't think I'm up to it any more. Hands just don't work right, and I just hope and pray I have enough years left in me to get some projects I've had for a while finished. Had I not found it a good home, it'd probably have been thrown in the dumpster, since my friend who gave it to me isn't up to it either. It'll take a little extra work to change caliber to a low pressure round that'll be suitable, but I can see in my mind its becoming a really neat little gun that everybody who shoots it loves, but very, very few have the talent and will to restore and/or make useful again. It should wind up being a really neat and useful oddity for most purposes. I'd just love to hear it slew some dinner or varmints one day. I'm jealous of MJ's ability and time and determination. I still love a good challenge, just not up to them like I once was. That's life.