PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 deer

303carbine
10-23-2016, 12:58 PM
I downed a nice buck with my Marlin 45-70, 100 yds, 1 shot high on the shoulder.
420 grain gc cast bullet, no tracking.
Deer heart wrapped in bacon with taters and veggies..........:mrgreen:

jhalcott
10-23-2016, 01:03 PM
Ithink that is wonderfull

largom
10-23-2016, 01:04 PM
A good place to hit them if you don't want them to run. Years past I hunted a 5 acre woods surrounded by private property with a lot of other hunters. I used my Marlin 45-70 and always took a shoulder shot.

303carbine
10-23-2016, 01:15 PM
I like the shoulder shot with 45-70 heavy cast, big hole in, big hole out with no fragmenting, no tracking.
I don't take that shot with "j" bullets because it's too messy.

runfiverun
10-23-2016, 03:37 PM
the terminal performance of the 45-70 allows an anchoring shot you wouldn't even dare take with a high speed jacketed bullet, especially on a part of the animal you want to eat.

4719dave
10-23-2016, 04:37 PM
I say go big or go home empty handed congrats .My buddys bust my chops what are you hunting a moose ..guess who doesn't loose his deer ..

white eagle
10-23-2016, 04:38 PM
sounds yummy
congrats

rodwha
10-23-2016, 05:19 PM
Deer heart wrapped in bacon with taters and veggies..........:mrgreen:

Hmmm... It must be good, though I've not heard of anyone else eating any of the organs. I do like beef liver but haven't tried it from a deer. I must admit I'm a bit curious. What do you do?

rodwha
10-23-2016, 05:32 PM
the terminal performance of the 45-70 allows an anchoring shot you wouldn't even dare take with a high speed jacketed bullet, especially on a part of the animal you want to eat.

This is is something I've been quite interested in. I typically used a .270 Win and the vitals shots were always a bit messy (130 grn bullets). Now I have a .50 cal muzzleloader and have worked on a patched ball and a conical and have wondered just how different it is as I've not used a large slow caliber.

I had actually moved to neck shots with that .270 as I noticed all the deer shot ran, if only for a short distance, and had a fair amount of bloodshot damaged meat. Not confident doing so with a muzzleloader as my understanding is it is the hydrostatic shock that helps make it all work (I always shot the first third from the shoulder since the head moves quickly at times).

ammohead
10-23-2016, 05:34 PM
Hmmm... It must be good, though I've not heard of anyone else eating any of the organs. I do like beef liver but haven't tried it from a deer. I must admit I'm a bit curious. What do you do?

Fresh deer liver when eaten right away, like within hours of the kill. 3/8" to 1/2" slices dredged in flour and fried in bacon grease or butter and lots of sliced onion, season to taste. You will have doubts about ever eating beef liver again. It is the freshness. No telling how long ago that beefie was killed. You know when the deer died.

skeettx
10-23-2016, 05:38 PM
Where are the photos?????

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-012S6.JPG

Digital Dan
10-23-2016, 06:19 PM
. Not confident doing so with a muzzleloader as my understanding is it is the hydrostatic shock that helps make it all work (I always shot the first third from the shoulder since the head moves quickly at times).

You ought polish up that hydrostatic shock legend and put it on the mantle. Big holes made by soft lead are a lot more reliable.

PositiveCaster
10-23-2016, 07:01 PM
Hmmm... It must be good, though I've not heard of anyone else eating any of the organs. I do like beef liver but haven't tried it from a deer...
Odd, I don't know many deer hunters who don't eat the heart and liver. Neither require aging and taste great dipped in flour and fried - never tried them any other way. If it ain't broke.....

runfiverun
10-23-2016, 08:14 PM
yep we do them sliced thin and breaded then fried.
some onions is nice but a little mayo as a dip adds a whole other dimension.

we usually trim out the heart then cut it into cubes and fry it in some olive oil then mix it with diced [fried] potato's, some chopped onion, and add a little shredded apple.
when the apple bits disappear it's done.

glockky
10-23-2016, 08:30 PM
Care to share the load you used. I'm trying to get a good load worked up for my 405gr plain base bullets. So far 2" groups are about the best I'm getting.

richhodg66
10-23-2016, 11:11 PM
I have a Handi in .45-70 I've been casually working on for a while. I've been sticking to Trapdoor level loads with 300-350 grain bullets, but still plenty to deer hunt under the conditions I normally hunt.

Congrats on a good deer. I like the hearts too. Used to keep the livers too, but have lost my liking of liver the past few years for some reason.

taco650
10-23-2016, 11:12 PM

I don't like beef liver cuz the flavor as too strong. However, deer is much milder in flavor & I liked it better.

303carbine
10-24-2016, 01:33 PM
Care to share the load you used. I'm trying to get a good load worked up for my 405gr plain base bullets. So far 2" groups are about the best I'm getting.

I use 40 grains of IMR 4198 under a 405 grain gas checked cast bullet, these are safe in my Marlin.
I would not use these loads in a Trapdoor or similar rifle, I don't believe grampa's flop top would handle it.:castmine:

Driver33
10-24-2016, 02:12 PM
Deer heart sliced an fried with garlic an mushrooms is really good

CITYREPO61
10-24-2016, 04:41 PM
Will have the heart on the next deer. Thanks for the recipes

warboar_21
10-24-2016, 08:15 PM
Congrats on the deer. I got deer tag stew this year.

As to the Organs comment I leave them for the coyote or birds to eat. I don't eat filters or pumps. Never could understand how eating something that filters toxins from a body could be a good thing.

Texas by God
10-24-2016, 10:08 PM

As to the Organs comment I leave them for the coyote or birds to eat. I don't eat filters or pumps. Never could understand how eating something that filters toxins from a body could be a good thing.

No Menudo ???? Chicken gizzards and calf fries? You are missing out. Every thing is killing us any way- live a little! Best, Thomas.

ricksplace
10-25-2016, 08:38 AM

There is some truth to this. Here in Northern Ontario, Canada, several hunting areas have polluted river beds from years of pulp mill effluent. Moose harvested from these areas have elevated levels of heavy metals in the liver and kidneys (cadmium is the worst offender). Govt hunting publications warn of this.

Geezer in NH
10-25-2016, 10:26 AM
NH F&G recommends not eating the livers from deer and moose do to selenium collected in them due to the long term pollution from the mid-west coal plants that end up here.

We used to eat them as a youngster but no any in the last 30+ years. Same problem with Lake Trout and Salmon in our lakes.

dlbarr
10-28-2016, 01:58 AM
I use 40 grains of IMR 4198 under a 405 grain gas checked cast bullet, these are safe in my Marlin.
I would not use these loads in a Trapdoor or similar rifle, I don't believe grampa's flop top would handle it.:castmine:

I have a load using 32gr of IMR 4198 behind a NOE 460-405 -FNGC. Haven't chrono'd it but is very accurate out of my HandiRifle and I believe it would suffice for deer, maybe elk. Frankly, I think I could shoot that 40gr load out of the HR. Not trying to argue a point, just sayin.

taco650
10-28-2016, 09:25 PM

There is some truth to this. Here in Northern Ontario, Canada, several hunting areas have polluted river beds from years of pulp mill effluent. Moose harvested from these areas have elevated levels of heavy metals in the liver and kidneys (cadmium is the worst offender). Govt hunting publications warn of this.

This is enlightening. I don't think about the pollution getting into our game animals but maybe I should. It won't stop me from hunting that's for sure.

warboar_21
10-28-2016, 09:55 PM
The livers purpose is to filter toxins in the blood and convert them to non harmful substances. That alone turns me off of eating them. It would be like going to your car and taking the fuel or oil filter off and frying it up. No thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Pumpkinheaver
10-28-2016, 10:06 PM
Getting ready to use 420s from my marlin guide gun in a couple weeks on a Missouri whitetail or 2.

PositiveCaster
10-29-2016, 10:10 AM
I get moa groups with a 400-grain RCBS over 25 grains of IMR-4227. This a low velocity Trapdoor load but is plenty fast to kill well and has mild recoil.

303carbine
11-02-2016, 12:40 PM
I have a load using 32gr of IMR 4198 behind a NOE 460-405 -FNGC. Haven't chrono'd it but is very accurate out of my HandiRifle and I believe it would suffice for deer, maybe elk. Frankly, I think I could shoot that 40gr load out of the HR. Not trying to argue a point, just sayin.

No argument here either dl, the H&R Handi rifle is a much stronger action than the trapdoor , I have shot Ruger loads out of mine. it is VERY unpleasant to shoot but it will handle top loads.
I dropped it back to 40 grains and it kills very well, no matter the size of critter it hits.

OnHoPr
11-02-2016, 02:12 PM
@ 303carbine - Come on now, how about a little :popcorn: story to go along with the post. You know a lot of these cast booliteers don't watch the OLN or ESPN Saturdays anymore or a lot of tv. You need to think of it as sitting around the table at camp playing cards and snacking on liver & onions with the hunting party. A little chh, chh, chh, of the dry oak leaves and a twitch of the ear and then a good mule kick while sighting in on a front shoulder through an alley in between two popples, etc, etc. A pic or two would not be bad either. Congrats on the horns and freezer stuffing.