PDA

View Full Version : Pratical Limit On Paper Patch Thickness

Good Cheer
10-23-2016, 11:36 AM
I'm plotting on a possible fun gun drop-in barrel for a Pedersoli Model 1816.
Looking around at what's already in the toy box...
0.586" diameter minie.
A few .575 to .580" minie molds.
0.575" round ball mold.
Hmm, so maybe could have a bore to use the .586" minie and the .575 round ball and paper patch the other minies.
With a .007" deep rifling that could give an average barrel wall increase of 0.044" for a half a pound increase in weight. Eh, not bad. But how about thicker paper jackets? Why not go a little bigger bore?

But, before bailing off into something I'm looking for information on the practical upper limits for paper patch thickness for nominally .58 caliber hollow based boolits. Whether it be personal experience, anecdotal or historical known examples of munitions or reference materials, any and all input would be appreciated. Meanwhile I'll be sniffing around and seeing what folks did in the mid 19th century.
Thanks before hand.

johnson1942
10-23-2016, 02:27 PM
good cheer, a paper jacket is nothing more than a paper sabot. some sabots are 50 thousands thick. if you going to use thicker than average paper go to the single wrap system. one wrap around the bullet so the seams meet and enough length so you can fold onto the base and into the hollow base a little. use a wad under the bullet to go down the bore at the same times as the wrapped bullet so the paper stays on the bullet. no angle cut paper.just rectangular. let us know how they shoot.

Good Cheer
10-23-2016, 06:44 PM
Johnson, looking for input on the maximum practical thicknesses.

johnson1942
10-24-2016, 10:00 AM
i cant see why for single wraps you cant use 20 to 24 pound paper. also their is another way. wet wrap 9 pound paper as many time as it takes to get to about 2 thousands under the top of the lands bore size. even if it is several times. add a little elmers paper glue to the water also. when the wrapped bullet is dry take a razor or small knife as sharp as one and slit down the side of the bullet through the paper to the lead. because the paper was put on wet and with a little elmers glue the paper jacket wont move or distort or come off before you load. this way you just turned and multi wrap into a single wrap and the paper will come off at the muzzle. ive done this type of wrapping to see how it works and it works just as good as any other method. hope this helps you and gets you shooting that big bore gun with extreme accuracy.