PDA

View Full Version : Subsonic .308 with bullseye?

Kveldulv
10-23-2016, 01:19 AM
So I have been working up a load with bullseye powder to keep it under 1090fps for a subsonic .308 load. Here are my specs and results;

.308 once fired lake city brass cut to 2.006" after full length sizing
Lee 170gr .309 flat point mold no gas check
liquid Alex tumble lube
wheel weight alloy water dropped
wolf magnum large rifle primers
bullseye 5.4-5.6gr
light taper crimp
fps - 1060-1098
groip size - 1moa

the results are more than enough than what I need in a sub load but the reason I come here for questions is because I reciently spoke to an Alliant marketing agent who tells me using bullseye with such low loads is very dangerous because there could end up being a hang fire one day which will result in the bullet being being a squib before the charge goes off which then will result in the equivent of an obstructed barrel explosion aka pipe bomb...

this has me worried and the marketing rep refered me to using red dot instead. He also advised me to research "the load" by ED Harris.

On on my research I found the load by ed Harris but also more info showing results from ed Harris also using bullseye in 5gr with a 125gr cast bullet. Researching further shows that red dot is so close to bullseye it is almost interchanable (almost is the key here)

now I am scratching my head... he referee me to ed Harris info on the load which shows a viable (safe) sub load using bullseye at less grains than I am using with a lighter bullet...

can someone shed some light for me on the dire warnings of using bullseye in a .308 for a subsonic load or the was this marketing rep just mistaken?

Artful
10-23-2016, 01:37 AM
He was not mistaken - and I have used RedDot for subsonic but I actually found Trailboss is a better powder for subsonic 308. Start out 14 grains and work your way down to your preferred velocity. It's not prone to detonation or hang fire and not position sensitive.

Jniedbalski
10-23-2016, 03:59 AM
I have used bullseye as light as 2.8 and 3.2 grains with the 100 grain lead rnfp 32 pistole bullet. I have also used 5 or 6 grains with the 130 and 160 grain bullets with great results.I would also like to know about this also because I have been using bullseye a lot In 308. Trail boss red dot and bullseye are all fast . I thought the problem was loading down a slower powder

farmerjim
10-23-2016, 06:19 AM
I have been using Herco in subsonic 308. I got the load out of an article referenced in this forum. I have not sent the 170 grain lee through the chrony yet, but at 8 grains it does not have the sonic crack.(I have lots of Herco not much trail boss)

dg31872
10-23-2016, 07:03 AM
I will be watching this with interest also.
I do not have Bullseye or Red dot, but do have a good supply of Tightgroup, which I understand is close to Bullseye in slow loads.
I think I read that in Mr Harris' postings here or elsewhere.

Tackleberry41
10-23-2016, 08:56 AM
I have been using S1000 which is really close to Bullseye in burn rate in my subsonic stuff. A 30-30 im only using 6 gr, a 7.62x54 its only 8.1gr w a 230gr cast, or 12 gr in a 45-70 w a 500gr. I have never had an issue. Loaded somebody else's 308 with the same powder and it worked really well. And doubt detonation would be an issue with extreme spread on 5 shoot groups of less than 10fps, seems like its burning really well. Now I did have issues in 223 with trailboss and titegroup. Trailboss worked, but gave 200fps spreads. Titegroup I quit using real quick when I nearly had stuck bullets.

rancher1913
10-23-2016, 09:01 AM
I think it has to do with bullseye being position sensitive, maybe a filler would get around that.

35remington
10-23-2016, 10:40 AM
Bullseye has been so commonly used for light loads in rifle cartridges in so many different cartridges that if there was a clear problem there would have been clear evidence by now.

You got "advice" likely from a young rep who doesn't load much nor knows Bulleye's historical provenance. Want to know about an example of my take on it that is the result of vastly more experience with Bullseye for such light loads?

Look up "lopsided wadcutters in a .308" in a search here. This is but a single example of such usage. Examples of every type that has occurred would clearly categorize his statement as the utter nonsense it is. Look for the sticky about mouse fart loads for the '06 and see how many testimonials there are to the use of Bullseye, and from whom.

Outpost75
10-23-2016, 11:03 AM
I think it has to do with bullseye being position sensitive, maybe a filler would get around that.

NO! Don't use fillers with the fast-burning pistol and shotgun powders! Good way to ring your chamber or blow up a rifle!

KenH
10-23-2016, 11:19 AM
I remember "back in the day" (40 yrs ago?) when shooting really low power loads we would position the powder by raising the muzzle vertical before each shot with the idea of causing the powder to fall to rear of case, then as rifle was lowered to firing position the powder would (should?) assume a position to the rear of case allowing consistent burn each time. Was this a valid idea?

Ken H>

rancher1913
10-23-2016, 12:33 PM
NO! Don't use fillers with the fast-burning pistol and shotgun powders! Good way to ring your chamber or blow up a rifle!

well ok then, was just a random thought, guess it needs to stay random.

Outpost75
10-23-2016, 12:37 PM
I remember "back in the day" (40 yrs ago?) when shooting really low power loads we would position the powder by raising the muzzle vertical before each shot with the idea of causing the powder to fall to rear of case, then as rifle was lowered to firing position the powder would (should?) assume a position to the rear of case allowing consistent burn each time. Was this a valid idea? Ken H>

That works and is good practice. But with easily-ignited, "fluffy" powders like Red Dot or Trail Boss, entirely unnecessary.
Good idea with the "dense" powders like Bullseye or TiteGroup which occupy very little space in the case.

Michael J. Spangler
10-23-2016, 12:56 PM
The big benefit of red dot (also clays for that matter)
Is that it's very bulky.
Do a side by side comparison of the volume of 5.5 grains of bullseye to 5.5 grains of red dot
A quick look at a Lee dipper chart shows that the same weigh of red dot is about 50% more volume than the bullseye.
Another comparison is that trail boss is about twice the volume of bullseye for the same charge weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StratsMan
10-23-2016, 02:32 PM
... I reciently spoke to an Alliant marketing agent who tells me using bullseye with such low loads is very dangerous because there could end up being a hang fire one day which will result in the bullet being being a squib before the charge goes off which then will result in the equivent of an obstructed barrel explosion aka pipe bomb...

While "pipe bombs" do happen, I've noticed it's usually a result of more than one factor. Just because someone uses BullsEye (or RedDot, or TrailBoss, etc) and has a blow-up, doesn't mean the low charge was necessarily the problem... People are too quick to jump onto a single known item as "The Cause", whereas it was probably a double (or triple!) charge of a fast burning powder that was the real culprit.

As far as a charge going off after a 'squib'... heck, I've cleared many a squib from a 38 Special that way... (I had a few problems when I started loading for revolvers...) With squib in the barrel, I put ~2.5 grains of BullsEye in a case, with a light paper wad to prevent the powder from spilling out, then put it in the cylinder and pulled the trigger... No indication of high pressure, and the bullet was so slow you could practically watch it go down range... I know, a revolver is naturally vented... YMMV

Artful
10-23-2016, 03:54 PM
That works and is good practice. But with easily-ignited, "fluffy" powders like Red Dot or Trail Boss, entirely unnecessary.
Good idea with the "dense" powders like Bullseye or TiteGroup which occupy very little space in the case.

Actually in my testing in 308 red dot did show position sensitivity.
Most powders do - so that's why Trailboss is best in my opinion.

Here's a link if you want more info
http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=280&page=3
My experiments from 2007 start at post #30

End of my experimentation what when I bought machined reduced capacity cases in 308 that allowed a full load of Trailboss to not shift around and was consistent if first pointed up or down before firing and gave as good a group as the rifle did with full power ammo at subsonic ranges.

Kveldulv
10-23-2016, 04:00 PM
Bullseye has been so commonly used for light loads in rifle cartridges in so many different cartridges that if there was a clear problem there would have been clear evidence by now.

You got "advice" likely from a young rep who doesn't load much nor knows Bulleye's historical provenance. Want to know about an example of my take on it that is the result of vastly more experience with Bullseye for such light loads?

Look up "lopsided wadcutters in a .308" in a search here. This is but a single example of such usage. Examples of every type that has occurred would clearly categorize his statement as the utter nonsense it is. Look for the sticky about mouse fart loads for the '06 and see how many testimonials there are to the use of Bullseye, and from whom.

This is very reassuring to know that bullseye is fine for sub loads. I have used bullseye between both .308 and 7.62x54r without any signs of over pressure and i have heard of accounts of people squibing with bullseye and continuing the fire round after round until they have stacked up 4 squibs in the barrel with no grenade effects. This was in a rifle rather than a revolver so there was no venting.

QuickLoads shows me that the pressure so are low that even if there was a delay fire it shouldn't cause any ill effects but i am not ballistician and would prefer to keep my fingers, eyes, face and most of all life.

I have heard that many cowboy action shooters have been using bullseye in sub loads for many many years with .30 cal bottle neck casings without any issues but again all this has been hear say and no documentation that i could find to support it (Other than the mention from Ed Harris showing 5gr bullseye under a 125gr lead boolit.)

Someone below has mentioned the IMR TrailBoss which is a nice powder when i run it through the QuickLOADs it shows to fill over 50% of the case with just 8gr of powder that estimates around 1050-1090 FPS for a 170gr cast bullet. I might entertain that but would prefer to stick with bullseye as i have 6lbs sitting next to me that i use for my .45 ACP reloads.

I would love to hear from Ed Harris on this matter.

Jniedbalski
10-23-2016, 06:15 PM
My light bullseye loads are extremely accurate. I got my info on this forum from Edd Harris article and a few others here. I first started out trying the 308 round ball load. It was decent accuracy wise but not very far. Also it was a pain for me to load. I then tried the 100 grain boolet the 130 noe and the lee 160 sks boolet sized to .310. The five to 6 grains load at 25 and 50 yards shoot as good as a good 22 target load.. There really fun and cheep to shoot cheaper than I can buy 22 lr locally. Every body I let shoot this load really like them . I was hoping that I didint need to find another load. They shoot so good I haven't tried the red dot or the 2400 loads yet

fecmech
10-23-2016, 10:49 PM
I use BE a lot in the 30-30. It runs 1.5-2 moa@100 yds with 130 to150 gr bullets. IMO is is NOT position sensitive. The following loads were chronographed with no attempt to position the powder. Loads were removed from the container, loaded and shot. The following data are all 10 shot strings. The first 7.0/BE/311466=1301 fps,es 18 fps, sd 5 fps. Next 7.0/BE/Lee155 AK bullet/1272 fps,22 es,6 sd. Next 5.0/BE/311410(130 gr) 1140 fps,es19, sd5. With extreme velocity spreads of 20 fps and less, SD's in the single digits Bullseye is hardly position sensitive in my mind.

35remington
10-24-2016, 08:20 AM
If you want to know if a powder is position sensitive, deliberately position the powder near primer and near bullet and find out for sure. Failing to do so is essentially not answering the question.

fecmech
10-24-2016, 11:27 AM
Position sensitivity to my mind means something that would effect the velocity in normal usage and show up as large extreme spreads between shots. With BE in a 30-30 case the volume is so small that the primer pretty well mixes things up for ignition and it (BE) ignites easily. Also in the course of loading and firing my rifle for my testing at some point I'm sure powder was forward, some back etc, yet es and sd were very uniform. In normal usage I don't hold my rifle straight up or straight down and then carefully and slowly raise or lower it so as not to disturb the powder position before I shoot. If I have uniform velocities and good accuracy in normal usage that's all I want.

Eddie2002
10-24-2016, 02:30 PM
I was working with BE in the 1.5 to 3 grain range for a 7.7 Jap and a 100 grain .312 boolit and found that below 2 grains it became position sensitive. I have been using a very small pinch of cotton to keep the powder positioned in the bottom of the case with no problems. When working with the extra light loads proper neck tension is very important, I got some key holing with looser necks along with no accuracy at 15 yds.

35remington
10-24-2016, 02:50 PM
fec, you still don't know if the powder is position sensitive or not.

Often rifles are carried muzzle down and raised for the shot. If you never tested with powder all the way forward for sure, and all the way backward, for sure, you're really not answering the question.

Next time try it and be able to say you definitively answered the question rather than guessing whether it was addressed or not.

If the question is to be addressed, model the conditions that cause it with certainty.

Here's a hint: after so doing the numbers will not look as favorable as those you recorded. Said by a guy that positions his powder with certainty in rifle cases....because he wishes to answer the question.

358 Win
10-24-2016, 03:24 PM
When Accurate Arms was located in McEwen Tennesee I was in correspondence with one of their tech reps named Ed Fallan. I was working with subsonic loads using cast bullets in my .308 Winchesters and he was very helpful. One of my super accurate loads was 6.5 grains of N100 under a Lyman 31141 178 grain flat nose cast bullet designed for the 30-30. No filler was used and the spark was provided by a standard Remington 9 1/2 primer. That load produced penny sized five shot groups at 50 yards and the speed was 1100 fps. Shooting was done with my totally stock Rem 788 and 4x Bushnell Banner. I was in my mid twenties at the time and was just starting out on my cast bullet adventures. Now I'm in my mid 60's.

Another great load I used to use was the same Lyman 31141 bullet and 6.5 grains of Hercules Red Dot along with a 9 1/2 Primer made by Remington. That also produced 1100 fps and on a given day would challenge the accuracy of the N100 load and on some days would beat it. Again NO filler was used.

There are many powders out there for cast boolit shooting, none of which I ever used fillers with. One powder I've used more than any other is Hercules/Alliant 2400. My experiments have indicated to me that the Federal 215 primer eliminates high extreme spreads and lowers the standard deviation markedly. The speed is much higher than when using the faster burners and is right at 1650 fps with 16.0 grains of 2400 in the 30-30, .32 Win Special, .300 Savage and .308 Win cartridges. A deer could be killed with the above load if the distance was not too great and shot placement was good. I've never killed a deer with my cast boolits but a pickup truck could not hold all the groundhogs I've killed.

358 Win

Kveldulv
10-25-2016, 10:28 AM
Thanks everyone for all of your insight and information. I wanted to share my results of my findings. My original call to Alliant resulted in the Marketing rep (who said he has been reloading for 50+ years) telling me to go to C. E. Harris and look for "The Load" for a starting point. This marking rep also advised me to use Red Dot or Unique for reduced loads.

Before posting on this forum i looked up "the Load" and crossed another article by C. E. Harris which was "Cast Bullet basics for military surplus rifles". This is actually where i original began my hand at developing sub sonics loads. This is also where the marketing reps advise becomes skewed based on his recommendations. IE: the very person he tells me to look up and trust is the very persons data i originally used to make my subsonic bullseye loads.

Here is a snippet of the loads charges from the above mentioned article;

1. 125-gr., plainbased "small game/gallery"
900-1000 f.p.s., 5 grains of Bullseye or equivalent.

2. 150-gr. plainbased "100-yd. target/small game",
1050-1250 f.p.s., 7 grs. of Bullseye or equivalent.

Now are you can see the data C.E. Harris gives out is a load showing bullseye 5gr with a 125gr cast bullet. There are 3 variables I changes in my load which is as follows;

Magnum Large rifle primer
5.4-5.6 gr Bullseye
170gr Cast Lee bullet

Specifically Mr. Harris, in his articles mentions to NOT use pistol primers but there are no mention of magnum primers and also do NOT use filler (which i never did as original this was the data i based my first tests on). Like wise he DOES mention that the loads should be used with a common bullet weight of said caliber and since .308 has a common weight of 147-180gr i am within that weight limitation.

Now since i am using magnum primers i didn't have to increase my charge weight as the primer is going to increase velocity more than a standard primer but what i get out of this is higher consistency of burn rate due to such a low charge. For this i simply adjust down on the charge weight to meet the velocity requirements i am wanting.

Now we have the information from C.E. Harris, whom alliant marketing rep said was who i should trust on reduced loads. Now lets take a look at the burn rates of the powder recommended by said marketing rep as a replacement to bullseye;

Red Dot - Sightly faster than bullseye but only marginally at best, most loads show interchangeability with bullseye with minor tweaks to charge weights. (So why is this guy recommended red dot when its almost identical to bullseye!?)
Unique - Slower than bullseye

Ok so now i am thinking, is this guy smoking crack? I fire up QuickLOADs and take a look at some data, i am more so looking at pressure and case fill percentage.

Bullseye - 5.4-5.6 gr = 18.7%-19.3% case fill, 1045-1067 FPS (18" barrel) and 9,604-10,146 PSI
Unique - 5.4-5.6 gr = 19.2%-19.9% case fill, 989-1011 FPS (18" barrel) and 8,672-8,196 PSI
Red Dot - 5.4-5.6 gr = 24.8%-25.8% case fill, 1030-1050 FPS (18" barrel) and 12,220-12,836 PSI

Looking at this data the unit is close to the same case fill as bullseye but unique is a slower power with lower pressure so I get the reason for recommending that powder. Now what gets confusing is the Red Dot recommendation, while it has a higher case fill (only by 6.1%-6.5% more) the pressure are higher with the same charge weight (which is still no where near max pressure of a .308 mind you).

At this point I am still scratching my head as to why i was given these two powders when they are both so close to bullseye. In that case i give my friend a call who is a cowboy action shooter and has been reloading for much longer than I have, not to mention he speaks with guys at the competitions who have been reloading longer than we have both been alive.

He laughs and confirms the same as some of you have on this form, if there was an issue, we we have known by now as many many shooters have been using reduced loads in rifle cartage's for matches for 50-60+ years.

At this point I figured, ok the guy just doesn't know about the powder specifically and is just playing it safe so people do not do something stupid with it. At this point i figured that i would give Alliant another call back and run it by a bullseye powder specialist. Upon this call i spoke to a guy name Jason in which case he confirms the same results as the previous marketing rep advised me about, but in more detail.

He explained to me that, while bullseye has been used for about 60+years in cowboy matches, that the technology for testing pressures were very crude and unreliable. He proceeded to explain how people back then would just pick a powder and start working up a load charge to their velocity and relying on pressure signs (flat primers, etc) as an indicator as to over pressure. He then proceeded to explain that Alliant tests all their powder with real world results and gathers the data through a piezoelectric machine that registers pressure in the chamber for accurate real world testing. He confirmed the possibility of hang fire (but confirmed that across ALL powders), he also indicated that any reloading books before they started using piezoelectric machines are novelty and do not use them (even though later in the conversation he explained that many old world loads carried over, i am sure after testing and confirmation on the piezoelectric machine).

I explain to Jason about my findings in QuickLOADs and apparently this was a no no as he indicates that QuickLOADs, while a good program, isn't fit for working up data on well known cartridges such as the .308. He goes on to indicate that again, just like watching for flat primers on pressure signs, QuickLOADs is not a good indicator of pressure or safe charges and shouldn't be used for known cartridges but only for wild cat rounds where there is no load data.

His bases for this goes back to the fact that QuickLOADs is a mathematical guess on pressure and without real work testing, will not be nearly accurate. Lastly he continues to give me examples of people using low charge weights and they get calls all the time about people loosing fingers, eyes or worse from low charging bullseye. So i ask the question about pressure signs and the fact that if there was over pressure enough to cause an failure, would it not be more so attributed to the fact that with bullseye and the case fill capacity, that you are more prone to double or even triple charging the casing. Which he indicated this is possible however the low charges are just as dangerous. He goes on to explain how minimal use of low charges of bullseye isn't the issue such as shooting 1-500 rounds isn't the issue, its when you get up into the 1000-2000 range as consistent use of such a low charge of bullseye and high pressure creating from that will slowly stretch your receiver and action over time until it weakens the metal enough to cause the catastrophic failure. He goes on to explain that you also wouldn't see pressure signs in the primer from a low load of bullseye but your still getting super high pressure.

This didn't sit well with me as logic tells me that if you have pressure, regardless of where it happens or comes from, pressure wants to escape some how and it has to go somewhere.... This is the basis of a firearm as it is controlling the direction of the created pressure to push the bullet out of the barrel and as newtons law every action as an EQUAL and OPPOSITE reaction, this still resulting in one of two things, FLAT primers or if your using a semi auto (and the pressure spike happens after the bullet passes the gas port) increased recoil. Am i completely delusional on this?

Another question to Jason was, "well do you have any load data on testing with bullseye in reduce loads of any kind for rifles?" (this came after he tells me they test stupid things just to see what will happen, such as squibbing a load and firing another round behind it to create a failure from barrel obstruction) and his responses was, "no we don't have any test data". Ok, so how do they know bullseye will not work? His response... "its math"... ok so why not go with QuickLOADs because it is also math? Originally he told me , don't trust math go with real world data...

The last comment he made was "if it isn't in any reputable reloading books such as from us, another powder manufacturer such as Hodgedons or in books like Hornady, Lyman, etc, do not use or trust it. If you do and you loose your fingers and eyes then you will not have anyone to pick up your medical bills for the accident as you used off the books loads.". To my understanding, no company would do that anyway since reloading is a use at your own risk, am i wrong on this too?

Now lets go back to this 1000-2000 round mark Jason was talking about. With this new information i bring it back to my buddy to ask about this in his experience. He gets a long laugh out of this one and goes on to explain to me he knows guys on the competitions he goes to using very old rifles with as low as 2.5-3 gr of bullseye with upwards of 20k rounds through them or more with zero issues. Again it goes back to, if there was a problem we would have seen it by now and there would be data all over the place backing up the claims of Alliant stating how many accidents they have with the bullseye and there would be warning labels all over the powder bottle about not using it in rifles for reduced loads, etc.

In conclusion, alliant has not data support or debunking the use of Bullseye powder in very load charges that have been used in cowboy action matches for 50-60+ years were as 50-60+ years of cowboy action shooters using said load through 20k+ rounds with zero issues shows the real world data it is safe.

With that being said, i went ahead and continue my development with bullseye and sent some rounds down range. Here are my results;

Mix headstamp brass (all military head stamps from LC, WCC, PSD, TAA08, and SBS)
cut to 2.005"
5.4gr and 5.6gr of bullseye
Wolf magnum primers
170gr Lee flat note .309 lead cast bullet from wheel weights (Water dropped) no gas check
Seated to the drive band
COAL: 2.510-2.520"
Light factory taper crimp
Rifle: Kel-Tech RFB 18" barrel with the gas system shut off
8x scope
100 yard target

5.4gr FPS test:
1. 996.6
2. 954.5
3. 987.7
4. 976.1
5. 990.9
Group size: 3.567"
SD: 16
Average Velocity: 981

5.6gr FPS test:
1. 1051
2. 1034
3. 1009
4. 1052
5. Error 1 (sensor 1 didnt pick up the bullet in flight)
Group size: 3.77"
SD: 20
Average Velocity: 1037

Felt recoil: Less than a pellet rifle
Pressure signs: None and mean None to the point of it didn't even fire form the case and the primers look like i just pressed them in (minus the dent in the center)

Final thoughts. I think the issues are more along the lines of a kaboom due to triple charge since i ran the numbers and it would take 18.5 gr of bullseye to be dangerous on pressure based on QuickLOADs calculations. Other issues are rifle head spacing issues, out of battery discharges or the use of jacketed bullets (yes you run a jacketed bullet in quick loads you will see that the start pressure for the bullet is to high for such a low charge so do not use jacketed bullets for sub loads of bullseye) as the culprit for catastrophic failures when it comes to sub loading with bullseye. Lastly i think the information given to me from Alliant is more along the lines of "since we don't have data we can't recommend said charge" and they are just covering their butts.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any thing that might happen to you or anyone around you due to the use of my load. Use at your own risk.

Michael J. Spangler
10-25-2016, 11:18 AM
http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

This is a good read.

It might be from that link or something else I read on the subject. I read that when testing accuracy with lower velocity loads always take into consideration trans sonic instability.
Lots of these loads are just barely over the speed of sound at the muzzle. They may shoot terrible at 50 yards but when test out to 100 they shot better. Same goes for being accurate at 50 yards and shooting patterns at 100 yards.
You can see a lot of the data on the link above shows better groups with charges that are just under or decently over the speed of sound.
Makes sense.
No .308 data there but you could get some ideas off of similar cartridges.

There is a system you can buy that uses strain gauges that are taped to barrels in the chamber area to give real pressures.
It's not cheap but might be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35remington
10-25-2016, 06:01 PM
Bottom line?

High pressure creates high velocity. There are no "hidden" pressure spikes with light charges of Bulleye. Or you would see abnormally high velocities.

Use Bullseye for your planned application. It will not cause problems.

Period.

Kveldulv
10-26-2016, 03:40 PM
Bottom line?

High pressure creates high velocity. There are no "hidden" pressure spikes with light charges of Bulleye. Or you would see abnormally high velocities.

Use Bullseye for your planned application. It will not cause problems.

Period.

In short yep, thats the conclusion i have come to at this point.

35remington
10-26-2016, 06:30 PM
You came to the right conclusion. I am sorry you had to endure a lot of misinformation along the way, but that is common when getting advice about reloading. What is unfortunate is you have received advice from an industry "professional" that appears to have a poor understanding of his job.

Wolfer
10-26-2016, 07:14 PM
As they say, the concept of getting the most velocity from a given cartridge is pretty well understood. Going the other way is not generally understood except by a few. I suspect a good many of them show up here on occasion.

Ive never shot any Bullseye. I've had an 8 lb jug of clays that is almost gone. I generally load 5 gr in any cartridge with any boolit. Velocity will vary with the weight of the boolit and the space in the case but the groups and the fun factor always puts a grin on my face.

Kveldulv
10-29-2016, 12:30 PM
Alright everyone, per my testing of the bullseye I decided to give some more a test. Accuracy is good enough for sub sonic (2-3 MOA), while I could improve the accuracy through playing with the charge, gas checks, etc, I just don't see a point since the bullet drop is about 7ft at 300 yards.

What I was looking for was any kind of pressure signs, just to make sure everything was good. I have included the pictures in this posting and thought I would share.

The results.. absolutely zero pressure signs. The primer looks brand new other than the dent from the firing pin strike, the radius of the primer shows zero signs of flattening (refer to the picture for evidence)

Also I took all the fired shell casings and toss them into my go-no go chamber gauge just to see if they were even getting fire formed... yeah ZERO fire forming. There is not enough pressure to even expand the casing to the chamber! I can say this is for sure a safe load from my testing. (see the picture of the go-no go)

35 Whelen
11-01-2016, 10:00 AM
For a year or a bit more I used a subsonic load in my Swiss K-31 (7.5x55) for High Power competition on a reduced course. The load was 6.7 grs. of B'Eye under a 150-ish gr. FP bullet. Given the period of time I used the load and the number I fired in matches, I would've fired somewhere around 1000 of these loads, maybe a bit more. Never had a single hang fire or other problem.
Your mileage may vary...

35W

35 Whelen
11-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Want to add, I never used filler of any kind and no attempt to level or elevate the cartridges was made during shooting. Very accurate load too.

35W

leeggen
11-01-2016, 10:37 PM
Do a search on here and or look in the archive for Larry Gibson's write up. He has worked thru the loads for 30 cal rifles in reduced powder loads.
CD

Andy
11-06-2016, 07:42 PM
I did a bunch of testing for subsonic loads in my swedish mauser. I know there are a lot of differences between that and what you're doing in your rifle but you may find the info helpful, here's a link to the thread with all my data/discussion: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?302208-Subsonic-load-testing-in-a-M96-swedish-mauser

I am down near the absolute minimum velocity that could be considered useful for anything (most of my testing was 300-700fps range) so it is a bit different from what you're doing. I didn't have any bullets stick in the barrel at the extreme lower velocities using bullseye so I would think you are okay in the speed range you are working with.

RU shooter
11-11-2016, 12:02 PM
For a year or a bit more I used a subsonic load in my Swiss K-31 (7.5x55) for High Power competition on a reduced course. The load was 6.7 grs. of B'Eye under a 150-ish gr. FP bullet. Given the period of time I used the load and the number I fired in matches, I would've fired somewhere around 1000 of these loads, maybe a bit more. Never had a single hang fire or other problem.
Your mileage may vary...

35W

I fully agree did the same as 35W has except with the 30-06 in a Springfield almost a full HP season using 6 gr of Bullseye and the Lee 155 never once worried about tipping the muzzle one way or the other between shots just work that bolt and fire . No hang fires Miss fires nothing just a nice relaxing accurate load enough to shoot expert on reduced matched even out to 200 yds . Larry Gibson recommended that load to me when I first joined cast boolits .

Tim

Texas by God
11-11-2016, 01:41 PM
Wolfer-get a lb.of Bullseye and try it. That took guts to admit you've never used it. Billions of very accurate rounds have been loaded with it. To quote Terry Weiland- An eight pound jug of Bullseye is the reloading equivilent to the loaves and fishes! Best, Thomas.

95GTSpeedDemon
02-03-2024, 05:04 PM
I know this thread is very old... I was curious if the people who have tried this have updates.
Im looking to try loading some .308 winchester with 180 and 220gr coreloks i was given and bullseye i have.
These are jacketed bullets so i wanted to find out if jacketed stuff will still work or its cast only.

HumptyDumpty
02-03-2024, 05:37 PM
I know this thread is very old... I was curious if the people who have tried this have updates.
Im looking to try loading some .308 winchester with 180 and 220gr coreloks i was given and bullseye i have.
These are jacketed bullets so i wanted to find out if jacketed stuff will still work or its cast only.
I acquired a smattering of partially-full pistol powder cans about two year ago, and I tried them all out, including Bullseye, with 220gr, jacketed projectiles. I've misplaced my notes, but other than a true rainbow trajectory, I had no issues. I still have a few mixed into my "miscellaneous plinking 308" can; they are darn quiet with a suppressor, and smack-down bowling pins in a satisfying manner.

95GTSpeedDemon
02-04-2024, 10:56 AM
Thats excellent to hear.
I found no published data and only one or two random people that said jacketed .308 worked with BE in subs as most used cast boolits, so i was super hesistant to try. I got my hands on quickload and it yelled at me about the starting pressure, which others said it does with jacketed bullets.
Did you use a filler?

RickinTN
02-04-2024, 02:19 PM
I know this is an old thread but apparently new interest in the subject. Mr. Harris himself told us under no circumstances to use a filler with the fast powders. What does it take? A white dove with a handwritten note from the Good Lord Himself telling us not to? Adding fillers is a good way to ring a chamber and ruin a good rifle.
Good Luck all, and take care,
Rick

95GTSpeedDemon
02-04-2024, 02:53 PM
I know this is an old thread but apparently new interest in the subject. Mr. Harris himself told us under no circumstances to use a filler with the fast powders. What does it take? A white dove with a handwritten note from the Good Lord Himself telling us not to? Adding fillers is a good way to ring a chamber and ruin a good rifle.
Good Luck all, and take care,
Rick

I did see that through out my searching.

Also curious if bullseye in a 25% case fill is powder location sensitive. Since its a fast burner, it shouldnt be, but 25% is rather low.

95GTSpeedDemon
02-04-2024, 04:06 PM
getting QL as close as i can to capacity with these 220gr bullets (corelokt 22792)(1.325" long), which puts it in the 48.236gr case capacity range. interpolating other like data between nosler data and QL, it could be .4gr higher capacity.
48.236 cap with 7.4gr of BE is 25.1% fill shows 1079fps from a 16" barrel, also shows 17113 max pressure.

is this a receipt for disaster, whether from S.E.E or a bullet getting stuck?

35 Whelen
02-04-2024, 04:07 PM
Come on guys, read through the thread. Bullseye is NOT position sensitive and it DOESN'T require (nor should you ever use) a filler.

35W

95GTSpeedDemon
02-04-2024, 04:18 PM
Come on guys, read through the thread. Bullseye is NOT position sensitive and it DOESN'T require (nor should you ever use) a filler.

35W
Position sensitive at what fill percentage though? I feel like that probably makes a difference. If it doesn't, that is even better for what I'm trying to do.

95GTSpeedDemon
02-04-2024, 04:26 PM
I went back thru the thread and re-read. Percentage fill was brought up and it seems like I'm in a safe Zone as it was tested to like 18% fill. That was cast boolits, so is it still safe to use jacketed bullets?

Kestrel4k
02-04-2024, 04:41 PM
Curious if you are wedded to the idea of using those 180's & 220's in such a fashion ?
Reason I'm asking is that there are some very nice .308Win loads using 110gr FMJ's and fast powders such as Bullseye.
I have obtained excellent accuracy & a quite-usable ~1800 fps using Red Dot; I would expect a similar result with Bullseye.

95GTSpeedDemon
02-04-2024, 04:56 PM
Curious if you are wedded to the idea of using those 180's & 220's in such a fashion ?
Reason I'm asking is that there are some very nice .308Win loads using 110gr FMJ's and fast powders such as Bullseye.
I have obtained excellent accuracy & a quite-usable ~1800 fps using Red Dot; I would expect a similar result with Bullseye.

yes, i was researching if i could load them with BE to make them subsonic. just for fun out of the can.
what the loading specs with red dot @ 1800fps?

most sub loads with large cases use trailboss a fluffy powder to increase fill ratio. info on that is abundant and well known.
i did find the titegroup info... very interesting. TG is only 3 places slower on the burn chart. TG shows a fill ratio of 30.7%

Bullet: 175 GR. HDY SUB-X
Diameter: 0.308"
Case: Winchester
Primer: Winchester LR, Large Rifle
Starting Load Maximum Load Availability
Manufacturer Powder C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
Hodgdon Titegroup
2.490" 8.5 1,023 23,900 PSI Buy Now

Bullet: 190 GR. HDY SUB-X
Hodgdon Titegroup
2.690" 8.7 1,004 23,600 PSI Buy Now

Bullet: 205 GR. SIE GK
Primer: Federal 210M, Large Rifle Match
Hodgdon Titegroup
2.750" 9.3 1,062 27,000 PSI Buy Now

Bullet: 220 GR. SIE HPBT
Hodgdon Titegroup
2.795" 9.7 1,069 29,500 PSI Buy Now

95GTSpeedDemon
02-04-2024, 05:24 PM

HumptyDumpty
02-04-2024, 09:48 PM
Thats excellent to hear.
I found no published data and only one or two random people that said jacketed .308 worked with BE in subs as most used cast boolits, so i was super hesistant to try. I got my hands on quickload and it yelled at me about the starting pressure, which others said it does with jacketed bullets.
Did you use a filler?

I did not use a filler.

Larry Gibson
02-05-2024, 09:40 AM

35W

Concur with 35W, never use a filler with bullseye or similar burn rate powders. With Bullseye, as mentioned, they are simply not needed.

libertyman777
02-07-2024, 02:26 AM
Trail boss is your friend in .308

Larry Gibson
02-07-2024, 09:32 AM
In my suppressed 308W rifle the standard cast bullet load is a Lee 170 gr FP over 6.5 gr Bullseye in LC M80 cases, fire formed with the flash holes drilled. Velocity runs just under 1100 fps [900 - 2000 feet elevation]. It is quite accurate and thumps with authority.

uscra112
02-07-2024, 10:13 AM
I've used a tuft of kapok to hold powder closer to the primer, but not with Bullseye. Have never used Cream of Wheat or anything like.

FWIW I do a trick for slugging barrels that involves a VERY small charge of Bullseye to deliberately stick the bullet in the barrel. For the .303 Savage I last did this with it was 3 grains. THAT tiny load was highly position sensitive. Muzzle down it never ignited at all. Muzzle vertical was the only way it would fire and move the bullet. So yes, at some point it becomes position sensitive, but probably not at any load we would normally use.

95GTSpeedDemon
02-07-2024, 03:01 PM
So my buddy had some tight group so we loaded 9.7 grains of that with the 220 grain core lock in my 16 in AR. It went 1200 feet per second which is 150 faster than what Hodgson says it'll do. We then loaded 6.8 grains of Bullseye and it went around 850. And we put 7.4 and got around 950.

john.k
02-08-2024, 08:18 PM
I suggest you read up on 'ringing chambers' before shooting any more .........I read up 'after' ......too late.

95GTSpeedDemon
02-09-2024, 12:58 AM
I suggest you read up on 'ringing chambers' before shooting any more .........I read up 'after' ......too late.
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?81742-ringed-chamber&highlight=ring+chamber
Easily-ignited, relatively fast-burning pistol or shotgun powders, having NO deterrent coating, and which tolerate the free airspace in the case, such as Bullseye, Unique, PB, Universal, SR7625, Herco are not the problem.

Most prone to chamber ringing are heavily deterrent coated, spheroidal powders such as 296, H110, 680, 1680, H335, Ball C2, 748, H380, H450, etc. in which there is a high percentage of deterrent coating, and a small particle size in the base grain.

racepres
02-09-2024, 09:58 AM
Glad this came back around. I have been working with Nitro100NF. 45ACP, 45LC, 38SPL, and some very mild 44Mag.
I notice it is a bit bulkier than Bullseye. Recommended charge weight is close! So it may be a Natural for the loadings I was Doing with Bullseye, and Maybe even the Red Dot Loads... Red Dot is still more Bulky, than Nitro100NF...FWIW
At these Charge levels...I do Not worry much about % of Fill...I try to use what is Published...but, have gone Much Under!
Let the Warnings Begin!!!

Edit; Tho we are all Reloaders, and Therefor, naturally cautious, and detail oriented. We May need to adjust our Nomenclature a Bit, since Many of us are using BE-86 Powder.. the BE thing is Distracting...Not Problematic, just Distracting. For My Old Butt anyway

popper
02-17-2024, 05:29 PM
The normal procedure for sub loads is start a min load and work DOWN. Was reading a post that a guy was getting stuck bullets (jacketed, 30 cal) at 700 fps. Why that low? Yup, he'd pound out the stuck one and then no problem. He's looking for a problem!! No real reason to go below 900 fps. Even in a pistol. Go throw rocks if you want slower. Personally I have no use for subs but do shoot @ 1200-1500 fps depending on mood.

GONRA
02-17-2024, 06:28 PM
GONRA reminds ya'll - a "stuck bullet" in any blowback semiauto - KABOOM! !!
WATCHOUT! !!

nanuk
02-24-2024, 09:47 PM
For the .303 Savage I last did this with it was 3 grains. THAT tiny load was highly position sensitive. Muzzle down it never ignited at all.

When you pulled those bullets and dumped the powder, what did it look like? Could it be used again?