PDA

View Full Version : Scrap lead sources, car batteries?

adcoch1
10-22-2016, 11:32 PM
Hello all, I am starting out to figure out a supply chain for lead, has anyone had success recycling car batteries? Sorry if this is a dumb question, just a newbie trying to find some lead to cast...

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

merlin101
10-22-2016, 11:41 PM
Been talked about many times here, and always the same thing DON'T DO IT! It's not the acid that will get ya it's all the other toxic stuff. If it's a top post type battery the go ahead and cut the posts off but leave the inside plates to the pro's.

adcoch1
10-22-2016, 11:47 PM
Kinda what I was thinking, but it never hurts to ask. Thank for the advice!

scottfire1957
10-22-2016, 11:51 PM
Well, I'll cut ya a break, since Ihave been accused of being too hard on newbies that won't even look at one thing on the site before they ask their very, very important question!

Ignore the stickied threads, ignore the search function and , Dammit, I can't say "melt your batteries!"

adcoch1
10-23-2016, 12:04 AM
I have tried the search function, but using my phone it doesn't work. So I apologize, I am still working through all the casting info...

Nose Dive
10-23-2016, 12:13 AM
adcoch1... Here is the link on this site... Need to go and read it and see why car batteries are a bad idea.

YOU ARE INTELLIGENT TO ASK before doing.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?138362-Why-Car-Batteries-Are-Dangerous

Nose Dive
Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

runfiverun
10-23-2016, 07:58 AM
at one time it was feasible to get lead from car battery's.[build a fire and throw them in then collect the lead later]
that changed long ago and has gotten even more precarious with the newer generation of battery's.
it went from just fluorine gas you had to worry about [which is a WW-1 nerve gas BTW] to other stuff that's toxic just laying on the ground.

GhostHawk
10-23-2016, 09:42 AM
I did the start a fire and throw them in once, long long ago. I had 2 battery's and a good fire going. Got a disappointingly small puddle of lead the next morning.

When in doubt, watch for range lead being sold here. Normally if I see 65 lbs of good range lead in ingots for 70-75$ I'll bite. Higher and I'll pass. I might pay a little more for wheel weights, but not much.

lightman
10-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Car batteries are dangerous. But the terminals are ok to use. Its a bit of work to cut them off for such a small amount of lead. The cable ends on battery cables are also usable.

adcoch1
10-23-2016, 11:41 AM
adcoch1... Here is the link on this site... Need to go and read it and see why car batteries are a bad idea.

YOU ARE INTELLIGENT TO ASK before doing.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?138362-Why-Car-Batteries-Are-Dangerous

Nose Dive
Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.
Thanks for the link Nose Dive, since posting I've found quite a bit of information that supported this, but none that complete. I will be staying away from car batteries...

Budzilla 19
10-23-2016, 12:08 PM
^^^^^^^ Smart man to stay away from car batteries for a potential source of lead! Sell said batteries to recycling center, use the cash to buy lead in ready to go form here. Glad you asked first! Just my .02 cents worth. Good luck to you.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-23-2016, 12:09 PM
Scrap lead sources, car batteries?
Car Batteries:
Besides all the bad stuff, that you've just been warned about, they are worth more to the professional recyclers than the potential boolit lead you could get out of them.

Lead alloy source:
If you haven't already, put the word out to all your friends/family/acquaintances that you are looking for scrap Lead. Word of mouth is usually the best way to find it locally. Other than that, buying from members here usually yield a known product for a good price...and that leads into my warning of buying on fleabay and the like...you never know, for sure, what you are getting.