PDA

View Full Version : Do i need lube grooves.

Lowkew
10-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Hello Everyone.
I am having trouble getting a bullet mold that will work for my Snider.So I am going to have a go at making my own.What i would like to know is,do i need to have lube grooves on the projectile if I plan to run a lube cookie behind it?.Would it lead the Barrel does anyone think?I would rather not paper patch.Does anyone else run a non grooved bullet in their (Black powder)rifles without paper patching? Thank you. Justin

scottfire1957
10-22-2016, 08:21 PM
Yes, you need lubegrooves, or something like acoating, ala alox or powder coat. It reduces friction and possbly leading.

What would placing lubrication BEHIND the bullet do? Beside placing lube forthe next bullet?

scottfire1957
10-22-2016, 08:22 PM
Blackpowder?

JSnover
10-22-2016, 08:31 PM
What would placing lubrication BEHIND the bullet do? Beside placing lube forthe next bullet?
Bingo!
With BP you need lube to keep the fouling soft. A properly fitted boolit should not lead a properly maintained bore.

runfiverun
10-23-2016, 07:48 AM
if you think about how a traditional boolit works anyway I think a lube cookie can do the job here.
the lube groove is situated near the base of the boolit so it is only lubing the last 1/16-1/8th of the boolit anyway.
it is laying down the groundwork for the next shot.

Mk42gunner
10-23-2016, 08:29 AM
I think as long as the bore has a film of oil in it for the first shot you will be fine with a lube cookie behind a smooth bullet. My understanding is the lube for BP is mostly to control fouling, and I don't remember ever getting any leading in my cap and ball Colt clones when I was using wonder wads behind the balls.

I may be wrong too, and you might end up with a lead mine inside the barrel.

Maybe make two molds; one grooved, one smooth, to see which type works better????

Robert

44man
10-23-2016, 08:47 AM
BP is funny stuff and only powder I would shoot pure with. Fouling is all you need worry about.
It is true any lube is behind anyway so a cookie will work. For the first shot a film of lube in the bore will start things, even some Crisco.
Don't use any mineral oils.

Shuz
10-23-2016, 10:09 AM
Remember, if you really need lube grooves you can contact Waksupi here on the board, cause he sells them!

wyofool
10-23-2016, 12:10 PM
Remember, if you really need lube grooves you can contact Waksupi here on the board, cause he sells them!
Make sure you order the custom lube grooves or they won't fit!

runfiverun
10-23-2016, 04:02 PM
I think he has a new snap on version he made from a box of broken ones.

44man
10-23-2016, 04:59 PM
I can't sleep at night, laughing at that stuff. I wanted to order some but he is always out of stock.

Lowkew
10-24-2016, 01:59 AM
Thank you for all your advice,Ill get a mold made up and ill go from there.I will let you all know how I get on.
Thanks again, Justin

WILCO
10-24-2016, 05:38 AM

First thing I thought of.