PDA

View Full Version : In search of a #1 Breech Block

19Wyoming
10-22-2016, 09:41 AM
Guys, I am just a little sick right now. I bought a beautiful NY State RRB off of Gunbroker this last week. Paid a nice amount for it. It was damaged in shipment. They did not pack it
well at all, and when it arrived there were 2 holes in the box. One where the hammer was sticking out, and the other was the tab on the breech block. Well the tab is broken off
and gone. Not in the box. This was the worst packaging I have ever seen. Wrapped in 3 wraps of paper and taped. UPS was the shipper, but this is not there fault. The box was actually in fine shape.
So now I am in search of a breech block. I have checked many of the gun parts links on this site S&S, Rolling Block Parts, Wisners to name a few. I am not sending it back. I like it too much, just want to get it fixed. Any ideas where I might find one let me know if you would.
One option I have found, is a cast that would need to be fitted. What is your opinion of this. The gun is all original as far as I can tell. Thanks!

Reg
10-22-2016, 11:25 AM
If the balance of the breech block is there and only missing the tab portion, why not treat it like putting a new bolt handle on a bolt action. Cut a piece of mild steel roughly in the shape you want but a bit bigger, weld it to the broken stub then carefully reshape it. Use the gas welding process with mild steel rod. By setting the lower portion of the breechblock in a pan of water it should keep the heat from pulling the case hardening from the pivot and sear areas and should not require heat treating. If you can find one to follow or get good enough picture's to follow , with a bit of careful filing and shaping you might be surprised as to how nice it might turn out.

marlinman93
10-22-2016, 11:40 AM
I'd keep an eye on Ebay, as blocks come up often there. But the repair mentioned is also a good idea if you find the right welder to do it. 'd send it to John Taylor to weld, as he's the best I've found for this type of repair.

Reg
10-22-2016, 02:53 PM
Not only could John Taylor weld it for you, I would just turn the whole job over to him. I think you will be more than pleased with the finished product and might cost little more than something off fleabay that might not be as satisfactory.
More often than not now days you get what you pay for.

19Wyoming
10-22-2016, 04:11 PM
Not only could John Taylor weld it for you, I would just turn the whole job over to him. I think you will be more than pleased with the finished product and might cost little more than something off fleabay that might not be as satisfactory.
More often than not now days you get what you pay for.

This will be the answer guys. Never crossed my mind. The good thing about this, is
I get to keep it original with the same breech block.

Now how do I get a hold of John Taylor? Lol, I'm new here. Thanks

Think I found him. In Puyallup Wash. Taylor Machine services.

marlinman93
10-22-2016, 11:08 PM
Yes, John Taylor Machine in Puyallup, Wa. Fantastic machinist, and welder.

19Wyoming
10-22-2016, 11:24 PM
Thanks Marlinman

hiram
11-03-2016, 01:13 AM
http://www.rollingblockparts.com/

19Wyoming
11-07-2016, 11:51 PM
http://www.rollingblockparts.com/

Had to call but he did have it. Thanks.

Ed in North Texas
11-19-2016, 11:06 PM
Had to call but he did have it. Thanks.

Great resource for those of us who have the RB illness. [smilie=w:

enfield
11-20-2016, 09:46 PM
Just to let you know, if all else fails, one can be made. this took me a while with my Chinese milling machine and learning as I went,181082181083181084181085 but it works ( you can see its home made because I goofed and put the firing pin screw on the wrong side )

John Taylor
11-21-2016, 12:16 PM
Just to let you know, if all else fails, one can be made. this took me a while with my Chinese milling machine and learning as I went,181082181083181084181085 but it works ( you can see its home made because I goofed and put the firing pin screw on the wrong side )

It's not a goof if it works.

enfield
11-21-2016, 07:51 PM
There is an interesting story behind the gun, it seemed like a good price at the time. Full military wood & barrel with bayonet lug BUT , missing the breach block and there is something stuck in the barrel. (how hard could it be to make a breach block, right ) but the thing stuck in the barrel turned out .to be a 9.3 x 62 mauser case and some wood , which left a very big rust pitted area in an otherwise great barrel. I "borrowed" a block of 3/4 ' steel from work and hacksawed away everything that didn't look like a breach block, them milled and filed etc.