PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Die Question

trapperP
10-22-2016, 08:38 AM
Cleaning and attempting to use some L&S dies that have not been used fir years (1960's) and find the "O" rings are brittle as glass. Anyone know the correct number and/or size for these? Will RCBS sell you just the "O" rings?
PLease, if this is incorrect area for this post, please move it. Thanks!

Dusty Bannister
10-22-2016, 09:08 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?230279-RCBS-Lube-a-Matic-II-O-ring-size

One member says the O ring is 1/8 x 7/8 x 1 1/8.

I have used 1/8 x 3/4 x 1 but thought they were perhaps a bit small. It seemed to me that it was easier to get the retaining nut on the die with the slightly smaller O ring. I do not use a heater or a hard wax lube so that might also be a consideration. Dusty

runfiverun
10-22-2016, 10:11 AM
ACE hardware has all kinds of cool things in the back on the left side.
springs, 0-rings, knobs, hinges, cap screws.

Screwbolts
10-24-2016, 07:12 AM
Some of the big box stores such as Lowes, Home Depot, have good selections of o-rings in their plumbing/facet repair sections.

Most NAPA stores sell bulk o-ring material, just buy a foot and a tube of any of the thin instant glues and you can make your own o-rings. I many times cut larger o-rings saved from various project down and re-glue to make what I need. Never throw out extra large o-rings, as they are/can be stock to make the next one from.

Use a razor blade to cut o-ring material and just a dab of instant glue on the end and hold together till it sets and you will be good to go. First times start big and remove small sections and re-glue to get the correct size.

Ken

dragon813gt
10-24-2016, 08:08 AM
Harbor Freight has two big O-ring kits. One is SAE the other metric. It's nice to have them all on hand.

Echo
10-24-2016, 02:46 PM
Take a nekkid size die to Ace and see what fits...

Yodogsandman
10-24-2016, 03:30 PM
"Will RCBS sell you just the "O" rings?" -trapper

Call RCBS and they'll probably just send you one. RCBS 1-800-533-5000