PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336A Rebored to 38-55 - Carrier Jam Issues

Deep Six
10-21-2016, 11:41 PM
Well the mail man just brought me my freshly rebored 336A from J.E.S. The rifling looks great, and my ammo consisting of 379449s sized at .378" in 2.082 Starline brass all plunked in the chamber just fine.

Now before everyone jumps on my case for messing with a nice old waffle top 336A, let me say that this rifle was already bubba'd when i got it. It had been drilled/tapped and an aftermarket recoil pad installed.

Now for the problem: when feeding from the magazine, the 38-55 cartridges get pinched between the carrier and receiver when they're about 2/3 out of the magazine tube. Trying with a 30-30 cartridge, it's obvious that the smaller neck allows it to pass through without getting pinched.

I'm assuming the fix is to file down the end of the carrier to create more clearance to allow the larger 38-55 cartridge through. I searched the internet figuring someone already solved this problem at some point but it seems most 336 conversions don't need carrier work. I'm thinking it's because the carrier's were more caliber specific in the early 50s when mine was made?

Anybody have this issue before? How did you solve it?

Deep Six
10-22-2016, 10:50 AM
Fixed it. I enlarged the crescent at the end of the carrier by about .050" diameter and radiused the inside edge of the receiver at the mag tube opening just a bit. The 38-55 cartridges feed like butter now. Still feeds 30-30s too! Apparently in the old days they started with an oversized carrier, fitted it to the gun, and then opened it up just enough to feed right with the factory chambering. Hence mine just needed to be opened up some more.