PDA

View Full Version : Tite Group Powder

Art in Colorado
10-21-2016, 08:47 PM
I really like this powder. Started using it for 9MM and 45ACP and now have tried it for my 44 Special with good results. It is fast be comming my favorite. Plus it is usually on the store shelf and the price is lower then Unique when you can find it. What do you all think of it?

tejano
10-21-2016, 08:56 PM
I use it for 32acp, 9mm, and 45 acp on a regular basis. It is one of my most used powders.

Beagle333
10-21-2016, 08:57 PM
I like it. Academy Sports keeps it on the shelf here, and it's usually about 20 bucks a pound. Nobody has Unique and when they get some, they want $26-29 for it.
It sure goes a long way. I always use loading blocks, so I don't mind the powders that only need a small charge.

Gofaaast
10-21-2016, 09:16 PM
I really like it. No Bullseye to be had a few years back, but I kept getting offered Tightgroup at the one shop that had pistol powder at fair prices. Burns cleaner in the applications I have used both BE and TG in, and the experts claim it is not as postition sensitive as BE. It doesn't have the nostalgic BE aroma if that matters.

tranders
10-21-2016, 09:41 PM
I use it for 32 Long, 38 Special,9mm,and 45ACP. No complaints so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4719dave
10-21-2016, 09:55 PM
my g2 powder for the 9mm for sure .I figure when I run out of solo 1000 ill try it in the 45..

FergusonTO35
10-21-2016, 10:22 PM
I like it for 9mm and strong/heavy boolit .38 Special loads. 3.8 grains under darn near any boolit/bullet on the planet in 9mm is one of my favorites. Never had much success with Titegroup in lower pressure rounds like standard .38 Special and .380 Auto. I mean it works as well as most powders, but I always get more consistent velocity and accuracy with Bullseye in these cartridges. I think this powder just doesn't burn well with pressure below 18k or so.

tazman
10-22-2016, 07:45 AM
Titegroup works for just about any application that Bullseye does. I use them in all my cartridges for similar loads. Accuracy is outstanding.
My only concern is that Titegroup seems to heat the gun barrel up much quicker than other powders. I guess this is due to it's composition.

Art in Colorado
10-22-2016, 07:53 AM
I buy it when I am visiting in Wyoming which is about once a month and the prices are always below $20 a pound. Last week I paid $18 and change with tax at Murdochs in Casper. Last Unique cost me $25.

Hueyville
10-22-2016, 08:44 AM
When first tried, really liked Titegroup and Lil'gun but soon began realize heat issues. Have tendency to run a lot of rounds fast through my semiauto pistols and with Titegroup end up having to let gun sit and cool way too often. Use in a pinch and when need a position insensitive powder. Like Lil'gun, have a really accurate 22 Hornet load using it but if in area where varmints are appearing fast have to use my old preferred load or risk smoking the throat on my little tack drivers. Having to sit around waiting for a pistol to cool when training gets on my nerves so Unique continues to be my favorite. Still have one cardboard keg finishing kept stocked so deep and now there is plenty and have stocked up to enough for decade of shooting or more. Three kegs will ensure can ride out a shortage unless really burning some serious powder.

Sasquatch-1
10-22-2016, 09:23 AM
I use Titegroup for heavy magnum loads for my 44 Desert Eagle. It Produces the internal pressure that the big auto needs to function. I tried using Unique but ended up crushing 1 out 4 cases. It's the pressures I am looking for along with the lower amount of powder. It would take 21 to 24 grns of 296/110 to get the same results.
Hope this comes through for everyone. Had to do a little on screen editing.

From the Hodgdon site:

Manufacturer Hodgdon
Powder Titegroup
Bullet Diam. .429"
Grs. 9.0
Vel. (ft/s) 1,219
Pressure 33,500 CUP
Grs. 10.0
Vel. (ft/s) 1292
Pressure 37,700 cup

DerekP Houston
10-22-2016, 09:48 AM
I bought titegroup and cfe to start with cause it was all I could find on the shelves ;). Both work well for me in 9mm, 40, and 45. For 38 I've found I prefer hp-38 but if I run out I'll use up the others before buying more.

gpidaho
10-22-2016, 09:56 AM
I use TiteGroup more than any other powder. Bought 4lb. jug for $74.95

FergusonTO35
10-22-2016, 11:41 AM
One time I loaded up some .38's with 158 grain slugs and 3.4 grains Titegroup in some, same charge Bullseye in the others. Shooting them out of my S&W 10-5, accuracy was about the same but Titegroup sure made the barrel heat up faster. Using soft commercial boolits Titegroup will leave lead deposits more easily too. Still, it may be my favorite of all in 9mm.

clum553946
10-22-2016, 03:26 PM
When first tried, really liked Titegroup and Lil'gun but soon began realize heat issues. Have tendency to run a lot of rounds fast through my semiauto pistols and with Titegroup end up having to let gun sit and cool way too often. Use in a pinch and when need a position insensitive powder. Like Lil'gun, have a really accurate 22 Hornet load using it but if in area where varmints are appearing fast have to use my old preferred load or risk smoking the throat on my little tack drivers. Having to sit around waiting for a pistol to cool when training gets on my nerves so Unique continues to be my favorite. Still have one cardboard keg finishing kept stocked so deep and now there is plenty and have stocked up to enough for decade of shooting or more. Three kegs will ensure can ride out a shortage unless really burning some serious powder.

Me too! When I practice for Steel Challenge, the barrel get's hot pretty fast. I have to swap barrels to keep them cool, but I really like the powder itself. Clean burning, no smoke! I use it for 9mm & am going to try it in 38spl & 40 one of these days. I like the lower charge weights too as that really comes in handy loading the small 9mm case! Used to use 231 & still have a bunch of it, but for 9mm, it's Titegroup!

RogerDat
10-22-2016, 03:37 PM
I like it better than Unique in .38 special, but no one here is shooting fast enough or long enough without a switch in pistols to worry about it. Hard to describe but the recoil seems smoother. I do roll crimp which might help increase the pressure. Not bad in 45 colt either. Can load a lot of different things with it, and a little goes a long way.

Unique is good too but more expensive per pound and use more of it so I like TG fairly well.

JSH
10-22-2016, 05:15 PM
I am happy for those whom have gotten it to work. In my 625 45 ACP wheel gun titegroup is not on my go to list. I have tried and tried to get it to work in 38 and 45 with no luck. I am running somewhat soft loads. To get to the point of ANY accuracy with no sooty cases, recoil is more than I am after in my game.
I will cry and whine about the price of BE when I find it,I purchase what they will let me have.

str8wal
10-23-2016, 12:06 PM
I love the stuff. Pours like a dream from my Lyman 55 and shoots great in 9mm, 45 ACP and 38+P. Also use for light"er" loads in 357 Mag and 45 Colt.

44MAG#1
10-23-2016, 05:28 PM
"To get to the point of ANY accuracy with no sooty cases, recoil is more than I am after in my game."

I would just change my game if it were me.

bobthenailer
10-24-2016, 08:15 AM
I have been using Tightgrup powder since it came out , before that I used Bullseye powder, I like TG , it keeps handguns a lot cleaner than BE with = accuracy with about the same powder charge as BE.
This is my go to powder for straight walled hand gun cartrages . it excels in 38 & 357 mag ,44 mag , & 454 Casull for target loads up to 1,100 fps and in the 45 acp. I buy this powder in 8lb jugs and have bought several .

About the only negative aspect is the slight possibility of double charge ! ( I have done it on rare occasions usually when my Dillon has a Glich but caught it before it went any further beyond the powder drop )

jakharath
10-24-2016, 01:25 PM
I love Tite Group for 45ACP.

JSH
10-24-2016, 04:38 PM
"To get to the point of ANY accuracy with no sooty cases, recoil is more than I am after in my game."

I would just change my game if it were me.

Give me a load that shoots 11/2" @25 yards double action and I am all ears.

tazman
10-24-2016, 11:09 PM
Give me a load that shoots 11/2" @25 yards double action and I am all ears.

The load may well do it, but I can't.

44MAG#1
10-25-2016, 07:53 AM
"Give me a load that shoots 11/2" @25 yards double action and I am all ears."

Can you shoot 1.5 inch groups offhand double action at 25 yards?
Do you mean you haven't found any load with Titegroup that will not give that accuracy at 25 yards?