PDA

View Full Version : Last Rendezous

Boaz
10-21-2016, 06:43 AM
I got up about 3 am this morning , bout an hour earlier than usual . Couldn't sleep well , don't know why but happens to all at one time or another . I like getting up early because the whole world is asleep and it's peaceful and quiet and peace can be hard to come by . It's odd the random thoughts you think when there's no distraction , things daylight and daily life doesn't allow you to .

I have a friend that died about 2 years ago . I met him about 30 years ago when he came in the shop . He was probably 6' 5'' tall , could have a bad attitude in a hurry if things didn't suit him . He was ex oilfield like myself so we had a little common ground . One day he got mad at me because I wouldn't do a job for him that I didn't have the tools to do and he got mad in a second . He got close to me and started getting threating , being the size he was he usually got more than average respect I'm sure . I'm 5' 11'' , I took 2 steps and was breathing on his chest as I looked up at him and told him to get it done . He stared down at me a few seconds and then smiled and back off .
Will continue later .

USMC87
10-21-2016, 10:36 PM
Interesting and waiting on the next part.

Jr.
10-21-2016, 10:52 PM
^^^^ this

Boaz
10-22-2016, 06:24 AM
He started trying to apologize but I would not have it , said nothing and walked away . He came in early one morning about a month later . Said nothing as he walked in , got a cup of coffee and sat down . I was instantly mad . Back then I was a different man , forgiveness came hard to me ...very hard .
Mentally I was gearing up to finish what I considered him to have started the last visit . I would not lay this down , I wanted no peace with him , he had wronged me and challenged me . Win , lose or draw I needed satisfaction . Pride and anger filled and controlled me , rational thought disappeared in these situations .
I stared at him a bit , walked over where he was sitting and told him to get out or finish what he had started ! He looked at me and said ; I'm a Mormon .

buckwheatpaul
10-22-2016, 07:53 AM
Charlie, That story is just like the old Saturday cereals at the movies....will Betsy get untied and off the railroad iron before the train gets there.....looking forward to the followup....Paul

castalott
10-22-2016, 08:02 AM
Oh Gosh! I'm hooked now.... Do you suppose we will have to pay for the ending?:mrgreen:

jonp
10-22-2016, 08:12 AM
ok, I want to continue seeing the Castboolits version of before movie episodes! I wonder where this is going with the Mormon reference?

Pine Baron
10-22-2016, 08:57 AM
Where's my popcorn?:popcorn:

Taylor
10-22-2016, 09:04 AM
:coffee:

USMC87
10-22-2016, 06:39 PM
Come on Charlie, Give us some more.

Boaz
10-23-2016, 07:23 AM
He looked at me and said ; I'm a Mormon . You must be a Mormon too because your doing what I did the other day . But you might be a Baptist........Baptist's are hardheaded like Mormons . I grew up a Baptist so I know , when I joined the Mormons I had that part down good . Neither one of us ought to act like we have , we can fix it though . He sit his coffee on the floor beside him , folded his arms and sat there . He said .......We got ta talk .

Pine Baron
10-23-2016, 07:34 AM
Ah, common ground. Next.

Boaz
10-24-2016, 06:23 AM
I couldn't deny what he said and grudgingly sat down and I forced myself to listen . I didn't say a lot , found out early on to keep my mouth shut when I'm mad . It's one of the worst times to talk for me .
We talked about nothing profound or of our differences . Mainly the fact that we had both been too quick to anger , we had a connection on that point . We agreed to lay it down . Before he left I mentioned that Mormons didn't drink coffee , he said he thought it might help us talk and lighting didn't strike him so it was ok . The year was 1982 , I was 31 years old.......I remember .

We had lightly mentioned to each other that we shot black powder . He was in a club locally that had a range and a lot of activities . He was a reenactor , he loved going to the rendezvous...it was his 'thing' . I shot with him and a lot of his friends , great bunch of guys . He and his family came to the shop regular , got to know all of them . Saw the kids grow up and get married . His son came in last week , got me thinking and I posted this thread .

My friends wife died about 15 years ago of cancer . He started developing a lot of medical problems . Had to retire early , had it hard physically and financially . He never complained . He would come to the shop often if he felt good enough to just to talk .

.................. I will only make one more post on this thread .

USMC87
10-24-2016, 08:06 AM
Waiting for the ending.

jcwit
10-24-2016, 04:02 PM
I hope this ends well.

castalott
10-25-2016, 03:06 PM
Where did all these pins and needles come from in my chair????

sparky45
10-25-2016, 03:13 PM
One word; poignant.

Blackwater
10-25-2016, 09:59 PM
And the thing is, there are stories like this really going on every day. We just don't hear about them because they're not "newsworthy." Folks who've been in a position to learn "the rest of the story" about what's happening in people's lives, as Paul Harvey used to say, know the true meaning of that old saying that "still waters run deep." Often, those folks who we think appear quietly satisfied and complacent, are really going through great turmoil. They just don't show it or talk about it, and deal with it with the grace of God and with Faith. Not knowing what folks are going through isn't the same as its not happening. We just don't know very much about even our closest friends, oftentimes. But everyone gets tested in this life, and some more often and severely than others. Why does God choose these people? Who knows? God does, but we probably never will in all but the fewest cases. I guess that's why they call it "faith?"

Boaz
10-25-2016, 10:25 PM
He continued to go down . Surgeries gone wrong , infections , complications , many problems . Watched him go to a cane , to a walker , to crutches , to a wheelchair . Hurt to watch him waste away . He would cast balls on the wood stove at his house , he'd bring me 50 every once in a while . He had always been active and went down quick . He had many Mormon friends that he shot with , they helped him . Heck ! I knew all of em through him , shot with em , they came to the shop regular , great bunch of guys .

He got plumb down several times and kept bouncing back surprising everyone . I waited to hear he died , expected it .
One day one of him church friends that we both knew came in and said they were headed to a rendezvous . He said they were taking our friend ! I stood up and said ...YOUR DOIN WHAT !! I looked out the bay door and my friends old rendezvous trail with his tents and camp gear was loaded on his old rendezvous trailer ! I said You can't do that ... are you crazy !
He had his hands up trying to settle me down and said ...Charlie Charlie ! He wants to go , 4 of us took off work to take him ! He's happy and excited , we talked to his doctor and the kids . He wants to go ! He knows he might not make it back .
He made us stop here , he wants to talk to you . Go out and talk to him ! We'll stay out of the way . Talk to him .
My mind was spinning , trying to put this together , I feared for him . I went out and tried to act happy and excited . Went to the passenger side door and said . Dang ! I hear your goin campin ! He tried to do the same and smiled as he took my hand , he knew I was worried. He said ...It's good Charlie , I want to go . I'll be ok whatever happens . We both had tears in our eyes , most likely our last talk . He never let go my hand (Dang , I got tears runnin right now remembering) We talked several min . I gave him a hug and said I love you brother , he couldn't talk and I wished him a good time . It was hard to let go his hand .
The others all told me they would let me know whatever happened . Strange , at a time I want to fight this man , I wanted to hurt him .Our Lord does provide miracles .

He survived the trip , he died soon after . They said he rallied and had a great time . I'm proud he made that last rendezvous .
I see a picture in my mind the day I was staring up in his eyes gonna fight him but now it's just funny . He was the bigger man in more than one way . It's all good .

Blackwater
10-26-2016, 06:26 AM
Great story, guys! Thanks. Provided a lil' inspiration to start the day with - always an asset to any man.

Pine Baron
10-26-2016, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the story, Charlie. A man has GOT to do, what a man HAS to do.

GhostHawk
10-26-2016, 08:33 AM
Amen, good story.

castalott
10-26-2016, 09:23 AM
A lesson for us all... I had people I did not like at all....and then when I got to know them, I liked them a lot.... I can't speak for you, but I have been short sighted and bitter when I should have known better...

Dale

BUCKEYE BANDIT
10-26-2016, 11:34 AM
Thanks Charlie, that's all I can say right now.

Preacher Jim
10-26-2016, 12:03 PM
an may you take me on my last rendezvous in ten or 20 years

Boaz
10-26-2016, 06:23 PM
We have all lost friends and family . It's not over yet and our path will never be straight , there's always the bend , fork or hill you can't see ahead . The only certain thing we know is our destination . Some may think I posted this thread for dramatic effect or to incite emotion but that's not true .
I have lost many friends when I start thinking , they are not forgotten . GOD gave us the gift of memory and he eases the good memories to the front when loved ones leave us if you let him . My friend is still with me .

I feel that GOD has put us together here in this Chapel . We are all different but the same through our common faith in the one true GOD that created us . I consider I have many friends here just as you do . Why do we come here ? Because he put us here together .
Thank you for putting up with me .

Boaz
10-26-2016, 06:28 PM
an may you take me on my last rendezvous in ten or 20 years

I'd be glad to Jim but In 20 years .......Well I don't know > we better set a quicker date than that !

It would be an amazing thing if we all could ACTUALLY all have a meet up ! Maybe ......

Ken in Iowa
10-26-2016, 08:52 PM
We have all lost friends and family . It's not over yet and our path will never be straight , there's always the bend , fork or hill you can't see ahead . The only certain thing we know is our destination . Some may think I posted this thread for dramatic effect or to incite emotion but that's not true .
I have lost many friends when I start thinking , they are not forgotten . GOD gave us the gift of memory and he eases the good memories to the front when loved ones leave us if you let him . My friend is still with me .

I feel that GOD has put us together here in this Chapel . We are all different but the same through our common faith in the one true GOD that created us . I consider I have many friends here just as you do . Why do we come here ? Because he put us here together .
Thank you for putting up with me .

How prophetic.

leeggen
10-26-2016, 10:04 PM
Dang pollen maken my eyes water, anybody got a klenex? Great story and a good lesson in there.
Two good men in that story, well several counting the ones that took the guy to the rond.
CD

Preacher Jim
10-27-2016, 07:40 AM
Charlie isn't great that all of us Christians will have a rendezvous and meet to spend eternity together with the Lord. If I don't meet any of you here I will there.

fivegunner
10-27-2016, 08:03 AM
Thank you Charlie, :)

Boaz
10-27-2016, 06:59 PM
Charlie isn't great that all of us Christians will have a rendezvous and meet to spend eternity together with the Lord. If I don't meet any of you here I will there.

Dang right !! I say we all gather at the east Jasper wall of heaven , at the sold pearl gate there (not the one of several pearls ) . There will be an angel there , he could direct you if you need such. Don't worry about getting there after dark ...there is no dark and the gates are always open !
Could be a heck of a heck of a rendezvous ! I know we all would love to see and finally meet one another . All will be past , all will ....BE !

Revelation 21;4

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

My GOD...My GOD ! We believe in a merciful GOD .

Revelation 21

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
The New JerusalemAnd there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.
And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal; And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel: On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates. And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof. And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal. And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel. And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass. And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald; The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst. And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.
And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it. And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof. And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it. And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there. And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it. And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Blackwater
10-28-2016, 07:28 AM
Charlie, you spin a good yarn. Not many like that any more. I miss the old heads who used to have that talent. Good stories can reach directly to the hearts of the most cynical and haughty types, and touch their hearts in a way that allows the Word to enter, and not just bounce off them. This is important in witnessing and trying to simply help folks see the light that's right there in front of them always. Keep up the good work. It matters.

Pine Baron
10-29-2016, 11:03 AM
One more thought.

In the beginning, we're shown anger and confrontation. A failure of patience and understanding. We are then found to have "common ground". A move toward understanding and empathy. We than move toward friendship and concern. Finally we end with an expression of respect and caring, allowing dignity.

The lesson I've learned here is patience, understanding and respect. Not the least, our love for each other through our collective faith in Jesus Christ.

Thank you, indeed.

Boaz
10-29-2016, 06:14 PM
One more thought.

In the beginning, we're shown anger and confrontation. A failure of patience and understanding. We are then found to have "common ground". A move toward understanding and empathy. We than move toward friendship and concern. Finally we end with an expression of respect and caring, allowing dignity.

The lesson I've learned here is patience, understanding and respect. Not the least, our love for each other through our collective faith in Jesus Christ.

Thank you, indeed.

DANG IT ! Excellent perception/insight ! I seldom post any personal history except failure . We learn through failing more than success . To post any success would just be bragging , this true story was of my failing not success , that was due at the end through the strength of another and GOD . I was a recipient of understanding by GOD's teaching with the help of another . I did not expound enough although you picked up on it . I had issues , in the same year of dealing with the public I had at least 5 fist fights . Coming out of the oilfield roughnecking back then .......well yea . Dealing with the public was a revelation , from wince I came was a different world . The situation with my friend opened my eyes . GOD opened my eyes , in the process he taught me to care for those not of my opinion and belief . We are told that in the word .