PDA

View Full Version : Bullfrogs

Texas by God
10-20-2016, 11:57 PM
Thanks to EL Niņo or some such we have a bumper crop of bullfrogs this year. Our first light Northern tells me it's time to grab my 581 Rem and my hoarded box of .22 Short to collect the big ones for a mess of fried frog legs. Honestly it's been decades since we've had so many. Best,Thomas.

quilbilly
10-21-2016, 11:17 PM
Now that sounds like fun! Many years ago I was in Japan shooting the archery tournament circuit when I was challenged to hit a bullfrog at about 50 yards. Only if I can eat the legs says I. I got it and the chef at the lodge cooked them for me. I found out that Japanese will eat many strange thing but frog legs aren't one of them (some turned a little green watching). Could I make that shot today? Not a chance.

rodwha
10-22-2016, 03:18 AM
LOVE me some frog legs!

GoodOlBoy
10-22-2016, 07:33 AM
Not a thing in the world wrong with good frog legs..

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy

runfiverun
10-22-2016, 09:51 AM
I have never had them but that wouldn't stop me from trying them.
I guess they are like mini chicken wings?

Blackwater
10-22-2016, 10:02 AM
Not quite, run, but close enough. They have a unique taste, but "tastes like chicken" is about as close as I know how to explain it. Just know that when you shake some salt on them before cooking, they'll tremble, and they can even move and "jump" lightly when you put them in the pan. But they're really good eating, and there are no small bones to make you have to be careful when eating them. Believe it or not, this was the first supper my wife ever cooked for me after we were married.

And Thomas, good to see someone else who's discovered the virtues of Shorts when hunting bullfrogs. MUCH better killers on them than LR's. I don't know why, but I've seen the difference too many times to not know it's real. The CCI HV HP Shorts are the best I've ever used. LR's also tend to make them jump back in the water when they're hit, and if they're out of reach of your landing net, they're lost to the turtles, and maybe a big bass. Not good for the dinner table!

Enjoy! A dinner of frog legs is a real treat. Nice, very "clean tasting" meat, and fried up nice and golden brown, juicy and they sit well on the tummy. No "bloated" after effect like when eating high fat red meats. Good for folks on a diet, like venison and most other wild meats. I love 'em!

rondog
10-22-2016, 10:12 AM
Never tried them, and I haven't seen a bullfrog in years!

Texas by God
10-24-2016, 10:34 PM
Not quite, run, but close enough. They have a unique taste, but "tastes like chicken" is about as close as I know how to explain it. Just know that when you shake some salt on them before cooking, they'll tremble, and they can even move and "jump" lightly when you put them in the pan. But they're really good eating, and there are no small bones to make you have to be careful when eating them. Believe it or not, this was the first supper my wife ever cooked for me after we were married.

And Thomas, good to see someone else who's discovered the virtues of Shorts when hunting bullfrogs. MUCH better killers on them than LR's. I don't know why, but I've seen the difference too many times to not know it's real. The CCI HV HP Shorts are the best I've ever used. LR's also tend to make them jump back in the water when they're hit, and if they're out of reach of your landing net, they're lost to the turtles, and maybe a big bass. Not good for the dinner table!

Enjoy! A dinner of frog legs is a real treat. Nice, very "clean tasting" meat, and fried up nice and golden brown, juicy and they sit well on the tummy. No "bloated" after effect like when eating high fat red meats. Good for folks on a diet, like venison and most other wild meats. I love 'em!

Yes sir Blackwater. Eating them and squirrel were part of growing up. I used Rem HP shorts because they were 88 cents at Pete's Grocery and a kid could buy them. Times have changed but Bullfrogs are still delicious! Best, Thomas.

Bulldogger
10-25-2016, 08:34 AM
Haven't had frog's legs or been gigging in years. Now I want some. I think I recall seeing some frozen in the Asian market near me where I go for nice vegetables.

Anyone know: Do frog's legs freeze well, will they taste OK?

Bulldogger

trapper9260
10-25-2016, 08:42 AM
It been years since i had them.Miss them.Good eating.

Texas by God
10-25-2016, 09:21 AM
Haven't had frog's legs or been gigging in years. Now I want some. I think I recall seeing some frozen in the Asian market near me where I go for nice vegetables.

Anyone know: Do frog's legs freeze well, will they taste OK?

Bulldogger
I had some the other day- they are good but fresh(Free Range) are better!

KenH
10-25-2016, 01:26 PM
I don't know about freezing frog legs, Mom always cooked them for breakfast after my hunt the night before. Cut the leg tendon to prevent "kicking" while cooking. They will still "tremble" abit.

I've not hunted frogs in a LONG time - but it was usually a summer hunt, not after cold weather? Is it different in Texas?

Texas by God
10-25-2016, 01:59 PM
Yes, Texas is different. Finally down in the 80s in the afternoons. Weekend after next we'll be deer hunting in tee shirts. I'm sure others like Indian Summer but I'd like a little frost on the pumpkins! Best, Thomas.

Randy Bohannon
10-25-2016, 04:35 PM
Grandfather owned a butcher shop in Auburn CA when I was a kid,he had rearing ponds in his backyard.Every Sunday after church it was their house and my Grandmother had at least 52 recipes,I miss those days.

country gent
10-25-2016, 05:10 PM
I barbequed frog legs one year in the smoker. Used apple wood chips and smoked till almost done then brushed on the barbeque sauce and finished cooking long and slow. was around 2 hours smoking nd another hour after the sauce went on. Meat was just about falling off the bones. Mom fried them I believe in a cornmeal breadding. Those smoked and barbequed were really good. I have went out with a fly rod and a fly on it and caught them also. Just work the fly infront of them above the water and they snap it up just like a bug.

Oklahoma Rebel
10-25-2016, 06:01 PM
absolutely delicious, but haven't had them in a while, around here I have found they are very spread out and you might not get enough for a meal in one night

daniel lawecki
10-25-2016, 07:19 PM
All I know is their hopping good our store here has them.

ghh3rd
10-26-2016, 09:42 AM
I haven't tried them but maybe someday if the opportunity arises. When I was young and lived in MO for a while the ponds were full of bullfrogs. While panfishing I noticed that I could catch several frogs on top of the lilypads by flipping out a small popper lure on them and twitching it. They would hop quite a distance to get to it :-).

CPL Lou
10-29-2016, 10:28 PM
Skinned or unskinned ?
Just curious.

CPL Lou

Texas by God
10-30-2016, 09:31 AM
Skinned or unskinned ?
Just curious.

CPL Lou
Skinned for me, please. Pliers are your friend. Best, Thomas.

warboar_21
10-30-2016, 10:30 PM
Best way to describe the taste for me is fishy chicken.
We went to an Asian Buffet a few years ago and they had them on the buffet line. I threw some on the plate and ate them. The must have been frozen and sat for awhile cause they were pretty nasty. I haven't had any fresh ones since before I joined the Army in 94. We would go out on my buddies property in the swampy area. Never shot any but they sure were fun gigging.

RP
10-30-2016, 10:40 PM
I love some good frog legs they have their own taste you can toss rattlesnake in as a close to taste but depends on how its cooked. My boys are good frog hunters they use a gig more then the rifle. Main reason for this is they are sub divisions golf coarse and those nifty holding ponds the state requires you to install if you pave or build to catch the runoff. I told them to wear those safety vest and look like they are working for the state checking the frogs for any side effects from the runoff lol. I am sure its the same everywhere if they see a lot of snakes no need to check the pond the frogs will be few sitting quite is also helpful and listen for the music of the frogs

Texas by God
10-30-2016, 10:55 PM
I love that golf course story! I grew up with no a/c so frog music was a lullaby. The first time I heard alligator music I asked what the hell kind of bullfrogs are those? Us old farts got some memories don't we?

starmac
10-31-2016, 06:08 PM
MINI chicken wings, y'all must have some beeg chickens. lol

Funny story concerning frog legs. My SIL was raised in New Mexico and never been around any bull frogs, just toads.
We were crossing the the big swamp bridge on I 10 in lowsiana, and he was checking out the swamp. Finally after a mile or two, he mentions this was a lot of country that was good for nothing. I mentioned it was good frog hunting country, there was silence for another mile or two, when he told me he would like me to explain just what part of a frog that I thought would be good to eat. lol

woodbutcher
10-31-2016, 06:53 PM
:) Ohhh yeah.The only thing better than a plate of frog legs is TWO plates full of em.When I was in high school,a friend used to go out two or three nights a week gigging frogs to sell.Did`nt do too bad.He would make after fuel costs for his airboat,about $300.00 to $350.00 bucks a week.This was back in the early 60`s.He would bring about 10 to 15 lbs a week to us.Sure was good eats.Went with him one night and we had a bit of excitement that night.He managed to gig a 4ft cotton mouth.A definite "Oh ****" moment.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

onceabull
10-31-2016, 08:25 PM
Spent many a summer night gigging frogs in the Sacramento-San Joaquin valley sloughs,average 3-4 hours night work yielded enough to a meal for two plus $ for truck/boat gas..(That was in the long ago and waybackwhen.) Never heard any gunfire,so guess our competitors worked the same way..! ! !. onceabull :roll:

Ole Joe Clarke
11-01-2016, 08:26 AM
Frog legs from the store are barely edible at best. Fresh, gigged frogs are the best, by far. Would like to have a plate of them, been a long time since I've had good ones.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

lightman
11-01-2016, 09:47 AM
Froggin is a common thing around here. When I was younger we went at night. Large ditches and canals were our favorite places. A 12 or 14' boat, small motor, a car battery and a pair of Q-Beams and a tow sack. We caught as many as we could by hand but carried a gig for the ones that were out of reach.

Shooting them in Arkansas is illegal unless you have a fish farm and get a permit. I did the electrical work on a farm near here and parlayed that into a place to hunt. It more fun to ride the pond levees in a truck sipping a beer and shooting frogs with a .22 than staying out half the night and having to work the next day!

I use Hi-Velosity Long Rifle hollow points. Sometimes they jump and sometimes they don't. The driver usually shoots and the passenger retrieves. Its the shooters responsibility to keep an eye on the spot. We seldom loose one. I have a perfect example of a mushroomed bullet that I recovered from one we got this past summer! Who woulda thunk it?

We fry them in a batter like Bisquick, usually with some type of Cajun seasoning, like Tony's. This is making me hungry, so glad that I still have several dozen in the freezer. Oh yeah, freezing them does not hurt them.

lightman
11-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Heres a picture of a pretty good frog that was enjoying the shade under a relift pick-up tube at the Duck Club.

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy164/PTheodo/IMG_0594.jpg (http://s788.photobucket.com/user/PTheodo/media/IMG_0594.jpg.html)

merlin101
11-01-2016, 02:19 PM
Used to gig em in a friends pond and swampy when I was a kid, that's been 40 years or so. Good times!

HABCAN
11-04-2016, 03:50 PM
Never ate 'em. First shooting experience was when, three years of age and my father just dead, using my mother's little .22 Savage single-shot bolt gun to shoot 'em, rested in the oarlock of the boat whilst she held onto the hem of my DRESS. That'd be in '37. Here's a pic of her on her honeymoon in '22........
180085..........at 'practice'. Yeah, dad came back for her in the canoe. Parents don't seem to do much of that, these days.

Tom W.
11-05-2016, 06:43 PM
I get them at a restaurant at times. One time the big end on a few weren't quite done. That was awful. And no, they don't taste like chicken. They have a different, delicate delicious taste.

Texas by God
11-05-2016, 08:38 PM
We waded and caught 5 by hand. Enough of that for me. When I return from deer camp I'll go .22 short hp! Enough biguns for a mess and leave the little ones for seed.Best, Thomas.

41mag
11-09-2016, 07:41 PM
If you really want to have a ball, try catching them on a rod and reel.

We used several top water lures on them that were small like a PopR or Hula Popper. If they are sitting on bare ground like around a stock tank you can chunk a black grub rigged with a 3/0 worm hook so the point sits right on top or just under the side. They usually will attack them if you can get a cast landing so that you can slide it by them within a few inches to almost a foot away. I have even had them take a full 8" Bandit worm and shove it in their mouth with both front feet.

If you try this you will have the time of your life, just remember, don't set your pole down once you have it landed, they ain't like a fish, once they get a foot on something they are going to jump and WILL take a 6" rod and 5500 back to the pond with them. (Don't ask, but I did get both back after a few minutes.)

w5pv
11-10-2016, 11:26 AM
I have caught them just about anyway you could in the days gone past but now in Texas you have to have a fishing license and a grab gig and no spearing them if I understand the law now. We always drove a boat slowly with one person grabbing the frogs by hand,you could cover a lot of steam that way but around the rice fields , swamps and marshes you just about had to wade but be careful that you watched for the snakes when there are a lot of frogs there is also a lot of snakes.

Texas by God
11-13-2016, 11:32 PM
Fried them up with Chupacabra Rub in panko/buttermilk coating with stuffed jalapeņos on the side. We over ate but had a good reason. We left a couple of Basso Profundos and lots of little ones for next year! Finger licking good....... Best, Thomas.

sixshot
11-14-2016, 02:22 AM
I think I've told this story before so I'll cut it short but yes I've eaten a lot of frog legs. When I was in the Air Force back in the 60's & stationed in Texas we would shoot them with the bow & arrow, the arrow just pinned them to the mud & many times we had to finish them off later. I really got in trouble once when I took a wet gunny sack full of frogs home that I "thought" were dead & left them by the swimming pool, not good! That land lady was hopping mad about 2 am when they got loose, she about tore our door down!
Try retrieving huge bull frogs from a swimming pool with their guts dragging behind while your land lady is screaming bloody murder at 2am, it's quite a circus. That's a full size metal garbage can lid they are laying on, those babies were huge! My bow was a Hitt, black ace recurve & I was pretty good with it.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/010_10.jpg (http://s84.photobucket.com/user/6shot_01/media/010_10.jpg.html)

Dick

Texas by God
11-14-2016, 11:36 AM
They are like alligators. Never quite dead. Your story is full of hilarious mental images! Thanks for sharing.

bullet maker 57
11-14-2016, 11:43 AM
Frog legs, Yummy.

1bluehorse
11-14-2016, 02:05 PM
Frog legs, Yummy.

UGH, the stuff some of you guys eat....:confused: I'd rather eat a can of cold spam...with a bottle of tequila to wash that taste away....:drinks:

Texas by God
11-14-2016, 10:48 PM
Spamspamspamspam oh sorry went Monty Python there for a bit....