PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Johnsonville Brats A New Trick Or Two!

DougGuy
10-20-2016, 11:14 PM
Ever since getting over tonsil cancer in 2013, it is a constant search for meats that are soft, fatty, easy to swallow, etc. Can be quite hard at times to eat a burger or anything that's overcooked. So,,,,

I had a recipe for Swedish Meatballs and wanted to make them, on the way to the store I am thinking what meat, ground pork? Ground Turkey? 85/15 beef instead of 93/7? And I got the idea to use some Johnsonville Brats in place of the beef so I found some limited time Tailgate brats, Beer and Cheddar flavor and simply sliced the casings and pulled them off and used the brat filling just like ground beef and man w00h00 I am telling you they made AWESOME meatballs!

Think I will be using this trick in the future, stuffed squash has Italian sausage in it, so I can see brats and sausage mixed 50/50, I can see brats mixed with panko bread crumbs, salt, pepper, parsley, oregano and an egg to make burger patties, I can see mixing brats with ground beef to make meatloaf, you get the idea..

I was pleased with the soft texture, but very surprised by the boost in flavor over using plain ground beef that the brats give to a recipe. Don't be afraid to try this!

Here's my Swedish Brat-balls with the gravy, there is one brat-ball left in the fridge and I don't think it's gonna survive another 5 minutes after I finish this post!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/20161020_190006.resized_zpsetcolwnx.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/20161020_190006.resized_zpsetcolwnx.jpg.html)

EDIT: Here is the recipe I ended up with. I never measure things I just look and smell and taste until it's about right but this is pretty close:

Ingredients:

2pkgs of Johnsonville Tailgate Brats, Beer and Cheddar flavor (These are 19oz. pkgs) cut the casings and pull out the filling, discard casings.
1Cup Panko bread crumbs
2tsp parsley flakes
1tbsp oregano
1 yellow onion finely chopped
2tsp garlic powder
2tsp salt
1tsp pepper

In a large bowl put the meat filling, 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs, salt & pepper, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, and eggs.

Mix ingredients with hands until well combined, if mixture is too loose to make a brat-ball, add more bread crumbs and mix until you can make a round ball that stays together.

Or make a burger size patty out of them which works good too and gives more area on both sides for browning, they get a different flavor when they are almost charred, and still easy to chew.

Use half the mixture to make 10 2 1/2" bratballs, freeze the other half for later use. I figure if I gotta make a mess to cook a meal, make enough to cook 2 meals and freeze half... :bigsmyl2:

Brown bratballs or patties in a skillet with 2tbsp olive oil and a big chunk of butter, when done remove from skillet and set aside to keep warm.

Sauce:

1 tbsp. olive oil
5 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. flour
2 cups beef broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

After removing bratballs, keep skillet hot, add butter and whisk in Wondra flour until it browns off and makes a roux. SLOWLY add the 2Cups of beef broth a little at a time constantly stirring, then add 1Cup heavy cream. Add salt & pepper to taste and cook constantly stirring until consistency will coat a spoon, if needed whisk in more wondra flour to thicken sauce or add more beef broth to thin the sauce.

Serve by plating the brat balls on rice or noodles, ladle sauce to cover bratballs as desired.

MaryB
10-21-2016, 02:57 AM
Johnsonville makes a patty with no casing that might be a little cheaper. I prefer them over cased brats and use a hamburger bun, 2 brat patties, kraut, relish, mustard...

DougGuy
10-21-2016, 04:00 AM
I could get their brat patties in Minnesota, but haven't seen them anywhere else since then. And yes they are very good, they expose more of the brat to the grill so it picks up a lot more of the smoke flavors and tastes better when it gets a little char on it where having the casing on it would just burn the casing.

square butte
10-21-2016, 07:52 AM
Just a couple of days ago I found myself thinking - Man I haven't seen anything from DougGuy about good food for quite a while - And just like that, here it is. My wife has similar swallowing problems. She has to eat very slowly. Always appreciate, enjoy and look forward to your recipes and ideas about food. All good conversation eventually leads to good food.

WebMonkey
10-21-2016, 09:12 AM
Looks Xtra tasty!

Blackwater
10-21-2016, 11:07 AM
I second Square Butte's comments. Here I am trying to cut down what I'm eating again, and now THIS! Thanks, Doug. I'moan hafta' give that one a try!

square butte
10-21-2016, 03:36 PM
Dogonit - Where'd that photo go?

DougGuy
10-21-2016, 03:41 PM
Recipe added to OP.

Lloyd Smale
10-21-2016, 03:49 PM
want cheap by some pork but, grind it and make your own. that way you can also control the fat level and the grind texture. I haven't bought a Johnsonville bratt in 15 years.

Chihuahua Floyd
10-21-2016, 04:30 PM
DougGuy,
I find the brat patties at Food Lion. At least the Food Lion here in Cherokee, just a wee bit west of Raleigh.
CF

MaryB
10-22-2016, 02:02 AM
Place where I grew up had a butcher who made all beef brats. Those were way better than pork!

44man
10-23-2016, 04:52 PM
i went to a party last night, whole hog smoked. I tore off an ear and ate what I could chew, then they gave me cheek fat. The pulled pork was to die for.
Now comes new goodies from Doug. Sounds super!

Lloyd Smale
10-24-2016, 08:03 AM
what do you do with cooked cheap fat

44man
10-24-2016, 10:48 AM
what do you do with cooked cheap fat
Stuff it in your face of course. Hog Heaven. I kept grabbing smoked skin too. I might be a little slippery on my seat today.

Lloyd Smale
10-24-2016, 11:25 AM
I love pork. I really love pulled pork but I don't think id ever eat just cheek fat. Now maybe the skin fried like pork rinds.
Stuff it in your face of course. Hog Heaven. I kept grabbing smoked skin too. I might be a little slippery on my seat today.

44man
10-24-2016, 11:41 AM
The head was on the table and I forgot about the snout, Darn it!
I lost a day! when did Sunday go?