PDA

View Full Version : Mentors by State?

kraynky
10-20-2016, 04:33 PM
I am brand new to this forum, new to casting, but not new to most other firearm, reloading, hunting type stuff. I have searched this site to the best of my ability, (as I learn my way around) searching for a thread on "mentors".

I was wondering if there is a place where knowledgeable folks might list themselves as possible "mentors" for those of us newbies with a desire to learn from experienced members. Sort of like a list of volunteers by state, or region within a state, that would be willing to offer advice and possibly some "hands on" experiences for fellows new to the hobby.

I'm closing in on 60 years old, but would truly feel blessed if I knew how to find skilled casters/smelters in my area, that would be willing to let someone watch and learn first hand.

Is there a place like that here? I'm at the stage myself where I'm collecting wheel weights and procuring my burner and pots and such. A true beginner. I have been reloading for about 20 years, and can't yet figure out why I didn't get into this year's ago.

Be it as it may, this is what I would love to find, someone near me that would be willing to let me spend an hour or two (or more) watching the process (s) of making bullets from scrap lead. I find the process to be fastenating, yet complicated at the same time.

There is so much to see here it boggles the mind. I may have just not looked in the right place, but would be thankfully for any direction. Oh, and I hope I put this in the right place for help, and my apologies if I screwed up.

BrassMagnet
10-20-2016, 04:46 PM
We can probably find someone nearby to give lessons. If not, we have casting videos available to watch for the cost of return postage. For those on a fixed budget, there is even help on the postage.

This thread is on the loaner videos:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?270986-Boolit-Casting-DVD-Library-Rules-Proceedures-and-Information

Here is some more info on how to view them:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?272283-You-really-need-to-read-the-rules

And here is how to get help on the viewing if money is tight:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?272310-If-you-want-to-view-these-DVD-videos-but-money-is-too-tight-help-is-available!

With all that said, it is still much better to find a coach and learn from them on their equipment. Then you can go shopping with a detailed shopping list and buy just exactly what you need to fit your budget and production desires on the first run.

Paper Puncher
10-20-2016, 07:33 PM
kraynky

Welcome to cast boolits. I just started casting this year myself. Be careful!!!!! it is addictive :). Lots of really helpful people on this site. Hope you can hookup with somebody and get a few lessons. What calibers are you looking to cast for?

Cowboy_Dan
10-20-2016, 11:31 PM
There is unfortunately not a list of people willing to mentor, however, this site is full of great people who always seem ready to help our fellows. That said, you will get the most exposure if you post a thread in the Cast Boolits section a little lower down the page. Starting a thread with a post like this one will likely secure someone to help you out, it worked for me. You may also want to zero in on your location a bit in that thread, Kentucky has a lot of center ...

beanflip
10-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Well lets get a list started of guys or gals who are willing to help. With that said put me on the list!

jeepyj
10-21-2016, 01:40 PM
If your looking to vacation in Maine I'll teach you start to finish. I volunteer to teach most any night the Bruins are on the TV. Usually there is 2-5 guys playing around with different aspects of the hobby. Good luck in your area!

OS OK
10-21-2016, 02:01 PM
If there was a way to vet the newbies background before I risk exposing them to my shop...I'd jump on the idea because I can't think of a better way to expose a newbie to our hobby than to get hands on...unfortunately not having a way to know them prior would have me opt out.
Several decades ago, when I was a lot more naive I might have jumped on this...today I'm not so trusting.
I think that's unfortunate.

daloper
10-21-2016, 02:12 PM
I am also quite new to casting. I have found the people here are willing to help and give you guidance . What I have learned is to make sure you do your part by doing your homework so that if you have a question you can ask it for a specific answer instead of a real general question that shows that you don't want to do your part to look it up yourself. I don't want people here to think that I need to be spoon fed. Most times I can get my questions answered just by reading other post or Stickies. Good luck on you casting but I will warn you that it is addicting and of course my wife thinks I spend to much money on it.

kraynky
10-21-2016, 02:18 PM
If there was a way to vet the newbies background before I risk exposing them to my shop...I'd jump on the idea because I can't think of a better way to expose a newbie to our hobby than to get hands on...unfortunately not having a way to know them prior would have me opt out.
Several decades ago, when I was a lot more naive I might have jumped on this...today I'm not so trusting.

I completely understand where you are coming from, and it a shame the way this country has changed over the years. I suppose a CCW permit would indicate a clean background, but then you get to worry about counterfeits! The thought just came to mind as I was searching this vast site for information.

I will fine tune my profile as suggested. And I've always wanted to visit Maine too. :D I'll drop on down to the casting section and poke around when I get back to my desk. This phone does wierd things to my text at times.

Thanks for the suggestions, welcomes, invitation and encouragement. I haven't even started yet and I'm already addicted. :-)

quilbilly
10-21-2016, 11:24 PM
Well lets get a list started of guys or gals who are willing to help. With that said put me on the list!
Me too for the North Olympic Peninsula. I would drop by to visit first to vet my student since I travel a lot on business around here anyway.

OeldeWolf
10-24-2016, 03:21 PM
I have the same concerns as OS OK. But I think something can be worked out as regards vetting. And most of my casting equipment is at least somewhat portable. . I can at least help someone get started in their new addiction. So please contact me if you are setting up a list

pjames32
10-24-2016, 06:54 PM
Surprisingly I get asked about casting a lot when I'm at the range. Guys ask around and most of the old timers know I cast. I've gotten a few started and get calls and questions regularly.
You might ask around at the range, especially BPCR and pistol shooters.
PJ

kraynky
10-25-2016, 06:50 AM
Surprisingly I get asked about casting a lot when I'm at the range. Guys ask around and most of the old timers know I cast. I've gotten a few started and get calls and questions regularly.
You might ask around at the range, especially BPCR and pistol shooters.
PJ

Unfortunately I don't have a range nearby, but fortunately I have my own behind my house. But there's no one to talk to. I do know a fellow that makes fishing sinkers, jigs and such. He's going to let me use his Lee 4-20 pot to see if I like it before buying one. But he's not picky about his lead like I'm sure I'll be. I taught him about fluxing from what I've learned here! :D

I'll just keep asking around here, they're out there somewhere. Thanks for all of the good advice. I'll put my own name on a list of mentors once I get some confidence and casting under my belt. This is a great site!

NC_JEFF
10-25-2016, 07:28 AM
Get to know ppl on the casting thread, you'll prob run across somebody that lives close by eventually, I did.

kbstenberg
10-25-2016, 07:46 AM
Anyone from upper Minn. needs some help. Just send me a PM.

dverna
10-25-2016, 07:55 AM

Regrettably, I have become jaded as well. But here is the good news. It ain't rocket surgery if you start right and there are a lot of people here that have done it all.

Start with something simple. Do not start with casting for an AR15. Cast low velocity pistol bullets. I started with .38 Spl over 40 years ago. I also suggest starting with purchased foundry alloy as it will be consistent and clean.

Different "mentors" will have different preferences wrt lubing/coating bullets. Do a lot of reading....as the topic has been beaten to death. Each method has advantages and disadvantages. You need to decide what is important to you. Both work well, but if your ultimate addiction will be high velocity and accurate rifle bullets, it appears that traditional lubes currently have an edge.

Also, determine a realistic plan based on how many different calibers you want to cast for, the quantity, and the time you are prepared to invest. Advice from someone who is retired, on a limited income, casts for 10 calibers and shoots 3000 rounds a year will be different than from someone who works long hours, has more disposable income, casts for 4 calibers and goes through 20,000 rounds a year.

Welcome!!

Don Verna

BrassMagnet
10-25-2016, 01:36 PM
Watch the casting videos!

kraynky
10-25-2016, 01:38 PM
Thanks for thd welcome Don! I have been trying to decide which I want to start with already, and am thinking about a.38 DEWC mold. Then maybe something in .44 that can be used in special and magnum loads. Those two cover most of my recreational shooting, oh yeah, and something in 9mm.

Eventually trying some plinkers for a 30-30. My time is limited in the warmer months, and income is tighter in the cooler months. So it's just something I think I will enjoy as much or more so than reloading. I'll be spending a lot of time (and have already) here learning about the methods and reasons. So far I'm feeling a bit addicted alresdy..........

country gent
10-25-2016, 02:02 PM
Several things you want to include in your post for teaching or mentoring are WHat bullets, firearms types, and your intrests ( Black Powder cartridge, muzzleloaders, plinking, target, hunbting, or such as these may be diffrent needs for the bullets cast). Where your located and how far your willing to travel for instruction. The more ionformation you can give or supply the more direct and specialized the instruction can be. I have helped several with smelting and casting over the years and actually enjoy doing it. But Ive always tken great pride in coaching junior shopoters, teaching people and or when an apprentice recieved his journeymans card. Its always a a little scary bringing a new person into your shop starting out but its also very rewarding seeing that new caster with the first pile of shiney new bullets and the smile on thier faces. For me thats a beter day than my pile of shiney new bullets. You can start out reading the stickies and the lyman cast bullets manual has a very good section on casting in it. This will help you to have a basic understanding and terminology of the process. Read all you can, ask questions, and keep detailed notes to help you remeber what youve tried, what worked and what didnt. Welcomne to the forum

plus1hdcp
10-26-2016, 07:09 PM
Welcome to the world of casting. I'm sure you will find someone local. Keep looking at the boards and you will see someone towards your neck of Kentucky. I'm in eastern TN but if I lived towards Nashville you would be more than welcome to cast some up with me. Lots of information in these forums and your friend who cast sinkers would be able to help more than you realize. Same process just a different mold. Best of luck.