PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with runfiverun 2017. (Part2)

runfiveslittlegirl
10-20-2016, 01:16 PM
We went out yesterday afternoon and got a look at a few doe and a small buck that we couldnt get a shot at (one of those walking through the trees, one small clearing scenarios) the deer took off and we had no shot. :(

We gave up and were headed down the mountain and saw some deer headed up a hill. It was about 4:30-5:00 and still light so we decided to follow them up and see if they had any bucks hanging around them.

Runfiverun looked over and saw two deer up by themselves so we skirted around some trees and they were both bucks. The bigger off the two took off immediately. But I got a shot at the smaller one. Hit him and he jumped, were thinking oh it's dead, nope, shot it again in the leg (whoops) it went down. We walk up and it doesnt run, naturally we think it's dead. It goes to jump, dad opens his knife to finish it and it gets up and takes off, that thing was not looking for a knife fight.
I shot it again and it died (finally). It was about dark so we gutted it out and had to go back for it this morning.
Little 2x2
Shot with 7x57 ruger tank safety.
Runfiverun can tell you about the boolit.

OS OK
10-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Exciting story...good job...good meat in the freezer...good all around, huh?

white eagle
10-20-2016, 05:06 PM
good going dead is dead no matter how many shots
good for you

DougGuy
10-20-2016, 05:38 PM
WTG!

I tagged a 90lb doe with my Cavalier Wagon and stopped thinking it was dead, gathered it up and opened the hatch and tossed it in, few minutes later it's like HELLO DID I MISS THE PARTY??????

Was a fun ride home and was just praying nobody saw it thrashing around trying to stand up and called the law, it bolted like a missile once the back hatch was opened but I cornered it and did it in with a ratchet strap around it's neck.

Glad it didn't get away, it's bladder was pushed out between the skin and abdominal wall muscles so it would have died a long slow death.. Funny how they bounce back after something slams them hard.

Geezer in NH
10-20-2016, 06:32 PM
Good job!! Nice deer bet Dad's proud as he should be. :awesome:

waksupi
10-20-2016, 06:56 PM
Atta girl, Dawnikins!

Preacher Jim
10-20-2016, 07:00 PM
Glad you are teaching dad to hunt, keep up the good work.

runfiveslittlegirl
10-20-2016, 09:14 PM
Ric! Holy cow, Daniel told me you'd died.
I guess I can start sending you Christmas cards again :)

Texas by God
10-20-2016, 11:39 PM
Good job young lady. And you shoot a classic rifle- bravo!

runfiverun
10-20-2016, 11:55 PM
you mean she STOLE my classic rifle :lol:
thankfully she hasn't discovered my model 700 in 8X57 yet.

runfiveslittlegirl
10-21-2016, 09:49 AM
[smilie=1: I didn't steal anything, you gave it to me, ten years ago, when we started this deer escapade and just don't remember.

Texas by God
10-21-2016, 10:20 AM
This sounds familiar. My daughter has several of my former guns that I thought she had just borrowed.......and she can get me every time by pulling the memory card! Best, Thomas.

Preacher Jim
10-21-2016, 10:46 AM
don't feel bad five my 22 target pistols disappear the same way. the guys at her club asked me to take them back, they hate losing to the blond.

TXGunNut
10-21-2016, 09:45 PM
[smilie=1: I didn't steal anything, you gave it to me, ten years ago, when we started this deer escapade and just don't remember.

LOL! Good job, stay with it until you get it done. Another good hunting story well told, thanks for sharing it with us.

4719dave
10-21-2016, 09:59 PM
its hell getting old lol good shooting young lady ..

TCLouis
10-21-2016, 10:42 PM
WTG and Congratulations Runfiveslittlegirl!

A quote I was given years ago and it has stuck with me.

Keep shootin til they are dead.

From the picture of you and you deer, I guess you photoshopped in all of that white stuff so it looked like your Dad had a tougher hunt.

runfiverun
10-21-2016, 11:02 PM
bullets are cheap. another mile of walking ain't especially when it's the wrong direction from the truck :lol:

after the autopsy the first shot was good but not overly fatal.
it just sliced the heart and clipped the bottom of the lungs but didn't get into any of the hearts chambers, another 1/2" up or left and it would have been over in 20 yds.
as it was the shot looked like a classic kick-jump heart shot, but the deer started trotting off and the Texas heart shot was needed before it took to the real thick brush.
the second shot should have been enough since the bullet penetrated clear through the lungs and trashed everything from the broken leg forward.
I have done less damage to Elk and had them go down quicker.

smokeywolf
10-22-2016, 01:42 AM
Seems there's gonna be some fine dinners at LittleGirl's house. Nice going LittleGirl and runfiverun.

runfiveslittlegirl
10-22-2016, 08:46 AM
WTG and Congratulations Runfiveslittlegirl!

A quote I was given years ago and it has stuck with me.

Keep shootin til they are dead.

From the picture of you and you deer, I guess you photoshopped in all of that white stuff so it looked like your Dad had a tougher hunt.

Believe it or not I got mine maybe a mile lower than he got his. If we'd gone two turns of the road higher there is instantly 6inches of snow lol

Blackwater
10-22-2016, 09:53 AM
Attaway, runfiveslittlegirl! Great performance! I know your Dad is really proud of you. It's good to see the female of the species able to go out and hunt. Very satisfying for us Dads! We know they'll always be capable of protecting themselves, and that's a big deal for Dads. I haven't had a female born in my direct lineage in over 100 years now, so I get an extra kick when I see someone else's little girl do great things like this. Most today would be lost in the woods, but it's a beautiful place, and full of wonders. And a person can hear themselves think out there. I don't even know you, and yet, already respect you very much! Keep up the good work. The world needs great young lasses like you!

OnHoPr
10-23-2016, 04:16 AM
Not bad for a girrrrrrl, r5lg. :kidding: Yea, your pa seems to have a bit of a crazy streak in him as well as a bit of a rascally streak, especially getting into the grandpa age. But, I suppose that keeps him young for running up and down those mountains with his daughter and probably bring a giggle to grand kids. Three shots, three hits and two of them a moving target.:Fire: Your pa showed a target you shot a while back. Well, one for sure he taught you how to shoot. Congrats on filling the freezer.:2_high5:

Pissst, do you think you can get him to adopt me for one season so I could BORROW that 700 8x57, just for one season.[smilie=1::bigsmyl2: yea right.lol

Driver33
10-23-2016, 07:40 AM
Sounds like a great hunt . An good shooting

waksupi
10-24-2016, 04:04 PM
Ric! Holy cow, Daniel told me you'd died.
I guess I can start sending you Christmas cards again :)

Not hardly! Still alive and kicking!

taco650
10-24-2016, 07:31 PM
... We walk up and it doesnt run, naturally we think it's dead. It goes to jump, dad opens his knife to finish it and it gets up and takes off, that thing was not looking for a knife fight.
I shot it again and it died (finally).

Shot with 7x57 ruger tank safety.
Runfiverun can tell you about the boolit.

Good story telling as well.

Can r5r also tell us about the "tank" safety Ruger too? Not sure I know what a "tank" safety is... ;-)

Hamish
10-24-2016, 07:45 PM
This thread feels like CB used to,,,,,,,,

Big thumbs up r5lg!

runfiverun
10-24-2016, 09:21 PM
oh I can tell you about a tank safety alright.:lol:
I know you don't want to break one, the parts are more unavailable than 2400 or red-dot is.

I have 2 of these rifles [okay 1.5] working on zero.
the Oldest girl is trying to claim the 250 savage AI is hers.
I don't know where the inaccurate claims for these rifles come from, all of the ones I have had will shoot
and shoot well.

runfiveslittlegirl
10-29-2016, 12:08 AM
Not hardly! Still alive and kicking!

I'm glad to hear that! I was really upset about it and I posted that then my dad kinda just laughed at me and shook his head, like no he's not. Then he asked why I didn't just ask him.

41mag
10-29-2016, 10:36 AM
Great going young lady. When I started outplenty years ago my pop always said "bullets are cheap, shoot as many as it takes". He also said, "you can't eat what you don't find". Trust me, he wasn't a happy fellow to be around on a long tracking job.

I brought my daughter up hunting and so far she has the best buck taken from our place. That said, I'm not sure how long that will last since my oldest grandson is after a sure nuff hoss. Our youth weekend began this morning, unfortunately we didn't see him. Hopefully this evening.

lightman
11-01-2016, 10:23 AM
Go Girl, You Rock! I suppose thats a Ruger with a Tang safety?

runfiverun
11-01-2016, 12:58 PM
yep in 7x57.
it wears a Konus 2X5 scope with a diamond reticle.