PDA

View Full Version : Lee mold issue

Coopaloop86
10-20-2016, 12:57 AM
Just purchased a new Lee 6 cavity .356 TL. After casting and coating about 500 boolits I immediately noticed when sizing that the push through sizer was actually swaging the lube grooves off and horribly deforming my boolits. When I measured them I realized that every boolit was .360-.364. Upon closer inspection I noticed that my mold blocks are not fully closing, I can actually see light through them with the halves closed. I thought maybe the sprue cutter was keeping it from closing but that doesn't seem to be it, im stumped... thinking maybe the alignment pins are messed up? Any ideas on a fix?

Silverboolit
10-21-2016, 11:21 AM
Can you see light all along the bottom, or on just one end? You may have a piece of lead that is adhered to one of the inside halves (face) of the mold. If the mold has clean faces, you may have to move one or both of the alignment pins in carefully and slowly. Just a light tap and checking to see if the mold closes correctly.

Boolseye
10-24-2016, 08:49 PM
Yup, there's either an obstruction or perhaps you need to lube the alignment pins.
Check to make sure they're not protruding or out of place in any way. I have had alignment pins come loose on me in Lee 2-cav molds, I had to stake them.

Coopaloop86
10-29-2016, 12:51 AM
Finally got the issue resolved. A good lube of the alignment pins closed the gap and now they drop at .358-.359. Theyre still slightly out of round so I still don't think that my mold is closing all of the way.

Boolseye
10-29-2016, 10:58 AM
They're rarely perfect. It's pretty obvious when the mold isn't closing completely, there's a visible gap.
As long as they size to your desired diameter and are pretty uniform, they'll shoot well. Unfortunately, you've chosen a problematic mold for 9mm, particularly if it's the 124 TC. They may lead and tumble for you, so don't be surprised or disheartened. Many people, myself included, have had trouble with Lee 9mm TL molds and have sworn off them. Other TL molds work well (including the little 356-95, as an exception to the rule). Hopefully none of this applies and they shoot great for you.

.358-59" is perfect, BTW. That's always the hope with a 9mm mold. Good luck.

Coopaloop86
10-29-2016, 06:38 PM
Thanks, I have a 124 round nose but its only 2 cav. May just have to dedicate a few extra hours to casting... oh the horror.

Dragonheart
11-01-2016, 12:22 PM
I would suggest your next mold not be a Lee.

Smk SHoe
12-23-2016, 08:43 PM
I started having the gap problem with a six cavity my last casting session. What I found out was it was closing fine and tight but when I cammed the spur cutter closed it was applying a little bit of pressure to the mold and was separating the blocks. No problem once you know the cause but defiantly had me scratching my head ( and maybe a little cussing) to start. I have a lot of lee molds ( mostly 6 cav) that I use for mass quantity and good quality. Excellent quality and good quantity I grab the NOE molds. Getting rid of all my Iron RCBS molds and sizer. Alum molds and Powder coating.