PDA

View Full Version : Gloom dispair and excesive misery

Freightman
10-19-2016, 09:50 AM
Got a call from Powder Valley, they ran out of SPP before they got my order filed if it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all. If you think the primers are plentiful look at the out of stock list and no back order on their site.

dtknowles
10-19-2016, 10:35 AM
Got a call from Powder Valley, they ran out of SPP before they got my order filed if it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all. If you think the primers are plentiful look at the out of stock list and no back order on their site.

Yeah, the panic buyers and hoarders are still in the Market grabbing up the stock.

Tim

DerekP Houston
10-19-2016, 11:20 AM

huh, I was eyeballing em yesterday and stock seemed fine. Now everything listed out of stock. Guess I'll sit on what I have for now, didn't need em too badly was just curious.

WILCO
10-19-2016, 11:26 AM
Yeah, the panic buyers and hoarders are still in the Market grabbing up the stock.

Tim

Not true. Supply and demand.

Freightman
10-19-2016, 11:30 AM
I just told them to send me LPP instead they had them

tja6435
10-19-2016, 11:31 AM
Ballistic Products has a good selection of small pistol primers

dtknowles
10-19-2016, 11:41 AM
Not true. Supply and demand.

Supply is the same or greater than ever and demand is up some is natural and some is panic and hoarding.

Even Higher Prices don't seem to dampen demand.

Tim

therealhitman
10-19-2016, 11:49 AM

Oooops. My bad.

B. Lumpkin
10-19-2016, 01:27 PM
I would have just gotten small rifle primers. I have worked up pistol loads for all of my calibers with small rifle primers. Only issue I've had with ignition was from my tuned revolver, and she has only liked Federal since way back, lol.

runfiverun
10-19-2016, 01:37 PM
the supply has been falling short of demand for quite a while now.
if it was hoarders the guy's making reloading equipment would have 'stopped the presses' by now. [I kill myself :lol:]
I keep demanding my LGS gets more red/green-dot and they ain't supplying it.
I can't possibly hoard what I don't have.

WebMonkey
10-19-2016, 01:41 PM
^^true^^
;)

dtknowles
10-19-2016, 01:54 PM
the supply has been falling short of demand for quite a while now.
if it was hoarders the guy's making reloading equipment would have 'stopped the presses' by now. [I kill myself :lol:]
I keep demanding my LGS gets more red/green-dot and they ain't supplying it.

See post #8 if he is not hoarding then he will share, right :-)

Tim

762sultan
10-19-2016, 02:00 PM
My response has always been" a boy scout is always prepared". This and what my grand father told me " he who hesitates is lost". I have always tried to stay ahead of the panic buying by having a cushion of supplies without making it look like I was hoarding. Sometimes that is not easy convincing the " chief financial officer" that money spent on these items is a good idea.

anthont1
10-19-2016, 02:06 PM
I was thrilled first time this year I walked into 4 stores in a row they all had 22lr. The 2 that carried primers all had spp on the shelfs. I did end up cleaning out the spp at one of them though.

M-Tecs
10-19-2016, 02:09 PM
Since the mid 70's I generally keep a 5 year minimum supply of components on hands. I normally shoot about 20K a year not including shotgun.

During times of shortages I am bombarded with people wanting to "share" my supply at the price I paid for them. As to selling at cost not a snowballs chance in hell. I had to make significant sacrifices to be able to afford my supply and until I am unable to continue shooting none of it is for sale period. I will loan supplies with the understanding that within 6 months the borrower with replace the loaned items. I don't care if they pay half the price I paid or they have to pay 100 times what I paid but they will replace it within 6 months.

dtknowles
10-19-2016, 02:12 PM
My response has always been" a boy scout is always prepared". This and what my grand father told me " he who hesitates is lost". I have always tried to stay ahead of the panic buying by having a cushion of supplies without making it look like I was hoarding. Sometimes that is not easy convincing the " chief financial officer" that money spent on these items is a good idea.

I guess because I am my own CFO, I have a smaller stock pile than some of you. I have to give myself permission to buy more and I know that I can get my approval when ever I need it. I never have had more than 3000 of any one type of primer and if I use them much I always have at least 1000 of those. I got caught short in the Clinton years and had to buy some small pistol primers from a friend. I only have a couple hundred of 209's and Magnum Large Rifle but I use only a couple dozen a year. I guess if primers are unavailable or cost $50 per thousand next year I will telling the hoarders they were smart.

Tim

dtknowles
10-19-2016, 02:17 PM
Since the mid 70's I generally keep a 5 year minimum supply of components on hands. I normally shoot about 20K a year not including shotgun.................

I am just astounded 5 year supply is 100,000 primers to stash ;-)

Tim

M-Tecs
10-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Mostly I order for Powder Valley. Minimum orders for me due to hazmat are 20K of primers and or 32 pounds of powder. I did break my rule for SR4759. I wanted four 8 pounders but the best I could find was two 8 pounders at two different locations so I did order 16 pounds of SR4759 twice.

M-Tecs
10-19-2016, 02:25 PM

Oooops. My bad.

That's only 40K but it's a nice start.

Budzilla 19
10-19-2016, 02:39 PM
I buy what I can when I can, but, when I was working a lot, boy, did I stock up! I'm not where you at ,M-Tecs, but close. Then, that dang fishing trip! *** boat! Hahaha! (I'm saving up to replace all lost items now). Be safe. Good shooting to all of you.

RogerDat
10-19-2016, 04:14 PM

Tim Yep at a good price of $27 per thousand that is $2,700 which is a significant chunk of coin. Of course if one bought 30k each year over time to build up that 5 year stash.... the pain would not be so sharp.

gwpercle
10-19-2016, 04:51 PM
I'm not getting caught short again this election, I've been buying every primer , powder and brass case I can get my hands on.
When she gets in power , the panic and shortage will be great and long lasting .

RogerDat
10-19-2016, 05:04 PM
I'm not getting caught short again this election, I've been buying every primer , powder and brass case I can get my hands on.
When she gets in power , the panic and shortage will be great and long lasting .

Or not. Obama did little with either election win to draw down supplies. Sandy Hook and Congress taking up legislation was when things got wonky. Congress is what one has to keep an eye on.
Hate to say it if your just now getting into stocking up I think that might qualify as panic buying.

dtknowles
10-19-2016, 05:11 PM
I guess I am getting to understand why some of you seem like hoarders or in a panic. Loading and Shooting is something that you do a lot more of than I do. I am just a low volume consumer of reloading supplies and I never have purchased in those kind of quantities. I don't know anyone who shoots that much and certainly nobody at the range I shoot at does.

If I normally loaded and shot 20,000 rounds a year going a year without shooting to preserve my stash might be a strain. You probably wouldn't be satisfied with just shooting air rifles, .22 LR and flintlocks :-)

Oh, I tested some home made primers last year, I can reload primers that will work in my pistols if I have too. No way I would want to make a thousand of them and they are corrosive.

Tim

DerekP Houston
10-19-2016, 05:17 PM
Or not. Obama did little with either election win to draw down supplies. Sandy Hook and Congress taking up legislation was when things got wonky. Congress is what one has to keep an eye on.
Hate to say it if your just now getting into stocking up I think that might qualify as panic buying.

ehh...I'm probably a panic shopper but i haven't gotten anything in the last 2 months. Realized when I was just putting boxes in the closet without even opening them I probably had plenty =P.

dverna
10-19-2016, 05:20 PM

Tim

I have over 150k and am adding another 50k SPP. Stored in a heated and insulated detached building. Powder (I have a bit of that too) is there also so no issues with home insurance.

Don Verna

RogerDat
10-19-2016, 05:59 PM
It is all a matter of value and usage. For some shooting is a large part of their weekly activities. Others are more casual about it. In a revolver not used for competition shooting 5k is an awful lot of years worth of primers. For a friend of mine that does a couple days a week of 9mm? Eh 5k not all that many.

I'm fairly casual, get out from time to time. But when I want to shoot I do not want ammo to be an issue. Before I began casting my normal habit was to take inventory and restock once every year or even two. With the odd box bought on sale between restocking trips. I figured if I had 500 rounds of 38 special on hand it was plenty, mostly reflected getting deals if I bought more boxes. Then one day I did my inventory and made up a list of how many boxes of each caliber or style I was going to buy, marked a upcoming gun show on the calendar. Show was a few days after Congress took up legislation post Sandy Hook. What ammo I could find would have been replacing my $7 boxes with $30+ boxes of ammo.

You can bet I am pretty good about having a little more stock on hand these days. Not nuts about it but, any last minute shopping I do now is advantageous not necessity. Thing that annoys me is panic buying makes it so I can't find that neat powder someone suggests, or check out how a magnum primer might work with a powder I have. There are a couple of Reloader powders I would try, if I could find them. Or powder I might buy 8# of if such were available.

castalott
10-19-2016, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE Sometimes that is not easy convincing the " chief financial officer" that money spent on these items is a good idea.[/QUOTE]

Is the 'chief financial officer' also the Head of the 'Department of War' and the 'Department of the Interior"?

Just asking....:)

Dale

DerekP Houston
10-19-2016, 06:08 PM
Sometimes that is not easy convincing the " chief financial officer" that money spent on these items is a good idea.

Is the 'chief financial officer' also the Head of the 'Department of War' and the 'Department of the Interior"?

Just asking....:)

Dale

nahh dept of war stock piled surplus ak ammo for just such an occasion ;).

GONRA
10-19-2016, 06:32 PM
M-Tecs - GONRA sez its tyme to get into Full Paranoid Defensive Mode.
First - DON'T tell yer "friends" wots in yer STASH!
Also, start making Clear Thinking Plans on future Hillary Gun Grabs.
(What you can / have to "give up" and the others....)

fredj338
10-19-2016, 07:30 PM
Just keep checking back, they were out last week. They literally just shipped my order which included 12k Win sp.
BTW, it is NOT hoarding, just being prepared. I shoot 8K-9K rds of pistol ammo a year in practice & competition. I keep & advocate reloaders keeping a 2yr MINIMUM reserve. So that means I need 20-24K primers on hand at all times. Not hoarding, just being smart.

fredj338
10-19-2016, 07:35 PM
You are kidding right? Congress is moot unless the president will sign the bill pt they have a veto proof majority. The reason SH was an issue is Obummer was pushing for legislation he would sign to ban normal cap mags & the AR.
I learned back when Clinton #1 was president & the resulting AWB, I never had more than a couple #s of powder & a couple 1000 primers. Then when I could not get primers, wake up call. A 2yr MINIMUM reserve is now very wise. After the 2012 election, I couldn't get my fav powder for more than 2yrs & primers were very hard to find at a decent price. Never again my friend.

casac47
10-19-2016, 07:36 PM
You can call it hoarding if you want. But, when a supplier offers no hazmat and free shipping if you buy 5,000, what are you supposed to do ? My son and I shoot a lot and, we try to get most of our re-loading supplies in bulk whenever we can.

4719dave
10-19-2016, 10:06 PM
Not any more ..grrrrrrrrr cabelas free shipping and used 55.00 refund check that worked ..but yes many are sold out ..
ballistic products has a good selection of small pistol primers

RogerDat
10-19-2016, 10:45 PM
If the Obama can "push" for legislation but if Congress says "file it in the round file cabinet" then it goes nowhere. Post SH Congress felt enough public pressure that they felt they had to "consider" the legislation. That set off the panic. 6 month waiting list for reloading press. Obama says I'm going to announce sweeping new measures a few months back and it did very little. Line might have been a bit longer at the gun show that weekend. Bought a pound of Red Dot and Varget a week later.... Totally different response.

It does matter how much you shoot as to what is a "normal" supply on hand would be. All comes down to how many months and years you want to cover with your supply on hand. Hoarding is when you buy stuff you probably won't use in the foreseeable future. Yes it won't spoil (probably) but taking cases of components away from you fellow shooters so it can gather dust for 10 years in your stash is something you have to justify to yourself not anyone else.

If you hunt hogs once a year with a 44 magnum as your only LPP use and have 10k of them on hand I think that might be hoarding. The members that shoot competitive sports that require practice and matches? For them 10k primers is probably running really low. And not a situation where the person can really cut back all that much. So is 5k primers a little or a lot? Yes!

WILCO
10-19-2016, 10:51 PM

Amen!!!

At this point of the game, to say it's panic buying or hoarding is truly ignorance of the facts.
There is no hoarding or panic buying. The demand is insatiable. Americans want guns. Politicians be damned.

WILCO
10-19-2016, 10:56 PM
Hoarding is when you buy stuff you probably won't use in the foreseeable future. Yes it won't spoil (probably) but taking cases of components away from you fellow shooters so it can gather dust for 10 years in your stash is something you have to justify to yourself not anyone else.

Purchasing lawful products in an amount that satisfies one's desires is nothing to be justified and nobody else's business. First in line is the winner.
It's called capitalism for a reason.

RogerDat
10-20-2016, 12:02 AM
Purchasing lawful products in an amount that satisfies one's desires is nothing to be justified and nobody else's business. First in line is the winner.
It's called capitalism for a reason.

One always should be able to justify ones actions to ones self. It's called having a conscience. That is the reason I said you have to answer to yourself not me or anyone else.

By way of example I found a few bulk boxes of .22's at Wal-mart I needed one so I left the rest. I have no idea if the next person to see them was someone who bought one box so a youngster can learn to shoot as I did or someone that snatched them all up to resell next week for almost 3x the price at the gun show. I'm only responsible for my actions, the other person for theirs. I'm not a saint but it takes more than some boxes of .22's to make me act like a greedy pig. Like a big bucket of 1x range brass in calibers I need :-)

The other part of the description of first in line wins is charging all the traffic will tolerate. So nothing really "wrong" with getting a tip from an employee to be first in line at Wal-Mart to buy all the .22's and then selling them at gun shows for 3x the price. I didn't buy from these people because I think they are a stinking pile of manure. But if they can live with themselves making it so some people can't find what they need or simply can't afford scalper prices that is their karma not mine.

therealhitman
10-20-2016, 12:34 AM
I guess I am getting to understand why some of you seem like hoarders or in a panic. Loading and Shooting is something that you do a lot more of than I do. I am just a low volume consumer of reloading supplies and I never have purchased in those kind of quantities. I don't know anyone who shoots that much and certainly nobody at the range I shoot at does.

I try to always be stocked up for at least six months at all times. That's for myself, my parents, my kids and grandson shooting most weekends year round. I figure 1500-1700 rounds a month. I try to put together orders with friends, club members and neighbors to save HazMat and shipping.
With my Father and I being competitive shooters in multiple disciplines over the years, we have eaten up a ton of ammo annually. But at our club I know dozens of guys in all the events that practice much more than we do. For some it is obvious the extra ammo is paying off. Some but not all lol.
Tim, you really should try some GSSF or Steel Challenge matches. Low effort shallow learning curve bucket list kinda stuff. Competition is healthy even if we all don't get a trophy every time. And buying lots of components is not always hoarding, sometimes it's family fun or just practicing for the next match.

M-Tecs
10-20-2016, 12:53 AM
Some call it hoarding but volume purchasing when supply is high and prices are low just makes sense to me. I started doing this at about 10 years old when Woolworths would have promo sales on 22 ammo for $1.99 a brick with a two brick per person. I made my mother, sister and aunt purchase two bricks each and yes as a 10 year old with a parent I could also purchase two bricks.

dtknowles
10-20-2016, 10:40 AM
I try to always be stocked up for at least six months at all times. That's for myself, my parents, my kids and grandson shooting most weekends year round. I figure 1500-1700 rounds a month. I try to put together orders with friends, club members and neighbors to save HazMat and shipping.
With my Father and I being competitive shooters in multiple disciplines over the years, we have eaten up a ton of ammo annually. But at our club I know dozens of guys in all the events that practice much more than we do. For some it is obvious the extra ammo is paying off. Some but not all lol.
Tim, you really should try some GSSF or Steel Challenge matches. Low effort shallow learning curve bucket list kinda stuff. Competition is healthy even if we all don't get a trophy every time. And buying lots of components is not always hoarding, sometimes it's family fun or just practicing for the next match.

I have shot comps in the past but I moved away from the clubs that ran those comps. I don't know about any comps locally. I have zero interest in fast shooting comps, not really my cup of tea.

Tim

Connelly47
10-20-2016, 12:11 PM
I buy supplies when I find them at a price I want to pay. So my supplies get lopsided at times. My problem is that when I find a good deal on brass, I have to clean, size and primer them. Same way with lead. It has to be cast or my brain gets itchy. I enjoy reloading and shooting, So over the winter I'll build up a few hundred pounds of loaded rounds, and by the end of summer I'm down to about ten pounds.

RogerDat
10-20-2016, 11:04 PM
Yep it is great when you can find a deal. Sometimes it is tough to keep things in balance.
You get a great deal on brass, then you need some primers to go with it, and some powder, and maybe a new mold since you now have enough brass to load another weight/profile.

I think that may be the reason the muzzle loaders are so contented. Only a few sizes of ball, a couple types of black powder, and 10,11, and musket caps. Yep all with none of the 50k primers in 4 sizes to keep on hand.

dtknowles
10-21-2016, 11:35 AM
Yep it is great when you can find a deal. Sometimes it is tough to keep things in balance.
You get a great deal on brass, then you need some primers to go with it, and some powder, and maybe a new mold since you now have enough brass to load another weight/profile.

I think that may be the reason the muzzle loaders are so contented. Only a few sizes of ball, a couple types of black powder, and 10,11, and musket caps. Yep all with none of the 50k primers in 4 sizes to keep on hand.

4 sizes???? Small pistol and small rifle are the same size but maybe you are including shotgun primers in the count but aren't there more than one size shotgun primers?

I stock

Small pistol
Magnum small pistol
Small rifle
Bench rest small rifle
Large pistol
Large rifle
Magnum large rifle
209 Shotgun
#10 caps

I make it 9 "sizes" I have to have to cover all my shooting

I might not shoot as much as others but I do shoot a lot of different things

Tim

RogerDat
10-21-2016, 11:54 AM
SP, LP, SR, LR and then any magnum varieties . But mostly the ML community doesn't generally think in terms of needing 50k caps and big assortment of powders. Seems like it would be sort of peaceful. Except I have a feeling most of the ML folks also have the smokeless problems in addition to the BP problems.

Tim are you saying in a pinch SP will work for SR? Because SP is what I tend to stock up on when I can't think of what else to buy and can't stand the idea of paying $5 admission to a gun show and getting nothing for reloading supplies :-)

dtknowles
10-21-2016, 01:11 PM
SP, LP, SR, LR and then any magnum varieties . But mostly the ML community doesn't generally think in terms of needing 50k caps and big assortment of powders. Seems like it would be sort of peaceful. Except I have a feeling most of the ML folks also have the smokeless problems in addition to the BP problems.

Tim are you saying in a pinch SP will work for SR? Because SP is what I tend to stock up on when I can't think of what else to buy and can't stand the idea of paying $5 admission to a gun show and getting nothing for reloading supplies :-)

Small pistol can be used in place of small rifle and vice a versa in some cases. I use small pistol in .22 Hornet and it is reported to improve accuracy. You can use small rifle in pistols but some guns have too light a strike and you can get a failure to fire. I will probably stop buying regular small rifle primers as I use a lot of small pistol and I only have two chambers that use small rifle my .22 Hornet and my 6mm PPC and in the PPC I am using Bench Rest Primers and small pistol in the Hornet now. You have to keep the pressures low to use small pistol, like cast loads with pistol powders.

Tim