PDA

View Full Version : Martini Henry Front sight

rikkit
10-30-2005, 08:55 PM
IF memory serves me correctly, some one mentioned in their post that Dixie Gunworks sells a cross hair type front sight that will attach to the barrel of a MH. I have a #4 and was checking out Dixies web sight, and found they had a Remington Zouave Sniper sight. Could any anyone confirm that this sight will fit on my #4 their part #EP0606. Would also appreciate any info on Bullet molds and recommendations on smokeless loads our club is thinking of starting a shooting class for Mil-surps over 40 Cal. TIA

Buckshot
10-31-2005, 06:45 AM
............Well the Zouave crosshair thingamabob is for a 58 caliber barrel, so you're looking at, at LEAST a .750" ID. Don't think it'd work without a bit of massaging. There are several things you can do to get a finer front sight without any permanent alterations to the rifle. You might want to find out what your club's ROOLES KOMMITTEE has to say about sights before spending much time or effort on them. If it's 'issue only' then the style is set.

What is a M-H #4, btw? Do you mean a MkIV?

Do a search for all forums using 'Martini-Henry' and '577-450'.

I will relay my favorite load that has worked very well for me in my MkIV M-E. It is 38.0grs of IMR3031 + dacron and the Lee 405gr paper patched with 20# paper to give a .470" diameter. This load sends the Lee off at about 1250 fps and has enough stuff on it to knock over the 200 meter ram.

http://www.fototime.com/0FDEA25C2215222/standard.jpg

These are them :D I had these loaded up for the '05 Winnemucca cast lead shoot with the mentioned load. I have bunches of load data, but you can work up some of your own merely by using upper end loads shown for the Trapdoor Springfield as a place to start. I'd be happy to list some of mine if you'd like though.

The boolit is really the sticky point. There are few moulds to produce a correct cast grease groove slug for the Martini. At least none of the main line makers have one. If you don't want to mess with paper patching then the least expensive way to go is to contact Coyote on the British and Militaria forums at: http://pub182.ezboard.com/bbritishmilitariaforums

He has had Lee produce several moulds to his specs for cast GG slugs for the Martini's and Sniders and has them on hand. He knows what he's talking about so far as boolits for them are concerned. He has brass and dies (Lee) for the 577-450 also.

Of course, after all this, maybe your Martini is a 303?:shock: But I guess not as it's supposed to be 'Over 40', eh?

...............Buckshot