PDA

View Full Version : Question on gas check vs. 'traditional' molds

Kestrel4k
10-18-2016, 01:14 PM
I have a question about four gas-check molds that I purchased ~20 yrs ago but have never used.
(I'm not a caster, but bought these when I had an interest/opportunity).

I primarily shoot jacketed, but also shoot some CB's purchased from various sources.
Recently, I have gotten into shooting at reduced velocities (rifle & pistol), particular subsonic / suppressed.
I do not see that changing anytime soon, as my ears have gotten very sensitive to full-noise loadings.

If these gas-check molds of mine ever get used for my purposes, it is highly unlikely that I will have a need for the resulting CB's to have gas-checks; in fact, if anything the GC's would be a liability as virtually all of my boolits will be shot through suppressors.

I know that boolits from these molds can be non-GC'd, but I'm thinking about selling these molds instead; it really doesn't make sense for me to have the $$$ tied up in something I anticipate no need of. (I will be using the freed-up funds for other firearm 'investment opportunities'. ;) )

If/when I have an interest in actually casting (or have a friend that does), I would then purchase a few non-GC molds for shooting my favorite calibers subsonic / suppressed.

Your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance,
K

MT Chambers
10-18-2016, 02:32 PM
You don't say what brand those molds are so it is difficult to tell whether you should sell them or have someone remove the gc ring from the mold. If they are good molds and worth good money, I would keep them and have that part machined out. You never get what a used mold is worth, nowhere near replacement cost.

gwpercle
10-18-2016, 03:50 PM
I don't ever sell a paid for mould. Why ? A few years ago I got a Lyman 2 cavity 45 acp mould for $25.00 and kept it even though I didn't have a use for it. Low and behold my Dad leaves me a 1911 in 45 acp. That mould from midway costs $75.00 + postage.
My dad would say, " it's not eating hay, keep it ". You can shoot them check-less. There's a sticky at the beginning of this heading that goes over it all.
Gary