PDA

View Full Version : Propane price increases ahead soon

Typecaster
06-09-2008, 03:37 PM
OK smelters—Get ready for some hefty propane price increases. Crude oil futures went up over $11/bbl last Friday to above $139/bbl, and—as usual—propane followed. Today wholesale propane prices are up about a dime a gallon almost everywhere in the country, landing around $1.90/gal. at the pipelines. Remember, those prices don't include transportation or a mark-up.

I'll be interesting to see how much of increases are absorbed by the propane marketers...they know that their customers have other fuel options so—believe it or not—they don't always pass through all the increases.

The rule of thumb used to be that wholesale propane prices were about 60% of crude oil on a per-gallon basis. That was when there was some logic to the market—higher prices in the winter, lower in summer, etc.

If the predictions of crude at $150/bbl by the Fourth of July come true, wholesale propane would be $2.14/gal. at 60% of the cost of crude.

If the retail price of propane goes up 30% it won't make much difference to my smelter, smoker, or grill. But if you have propane heat, next winter could be very expensive.

Richard

John Boy
06-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Cheapest 20# tank of propane is now $20. It was $12 a tank in the Spring

warf73
06-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Well I better fill up my bottles now. My 100lb bottle is empty and the 40 is almost dry. I filled up the 100 in November cost me $65.00 which was over $3.40/gal. So now it will probly cost $80 to fill. Thats news I dont like to hear but like to know also at the same time.

Thanks for the heads up Richard.

Warf

stubert
06-10-2008, 06:49 AM
I sell propane, mostly bbq tanks. My last delivery, I paid $2.21 a gallon. 5 years ago I was paying $ .85cents. I am getting a 1000 gal tank filled.