PDA

View Full Version : Boolit Seat Stem for 9mm TC

sundog
10-17-2016, 02:38 PM
Well, that's it. I need a stem for the TC 356(9mm) 124 TL boolit. I have two sets of Lee 9mm dies and one stem is for flat nose and will not seat the boolit square in the case. The other is for round nose, and I do not like the edge it puts on the boolit during seating. I'm loading PC's boolits, but that sould not make much difference.

Anyone have a preference for a particular seating die that plays well with TC boolits? btw, crimping is separate, seating die is for seating only.

Ed_Shot
10-17-2016, 03:32 PM
I use a Lyman 402 (for the 356402) seating stem for the Lee TC 9MM boolits. I have Lee 9MM die set but use a Lyman 9MM seating die.

popper
10-17-2016, 03:59 PM
Not sure why your flat stem doesn't work - Sometimes I just tap the handle lightly to get the boolit started straight, may depend on how much flare your case has. All my moulds are FN, only the hornady 30/30 seater doesn't work good, but it's for FTX bullet.

gwpercle
10-18-2016, 03:28 PM
The flat stem should work , look at it carefully, I had the same problem with Lee 9mm seating die, what mine had was a ring of clear rubber in there, in theory I guess the rubber seats any nose design or at least keeps it from marking boolit nose. It doesn't work , the rubber keeps the boolit from straightening itself out....nearly every boolit seated would be canted, and sometimes shaved from one side. After I saw it in there I pulled out a CH4D seating die and used it with a flat stem. Works way better. I seat and crimp in seperate steps.
If that rubber thing is in there....get it out , it just causes problems with straight seating.
Gary

brassrat
10-22-2016, 08:56 AM
I just bought a few seaters from Titan for #2 each and Dremil them out.

Taterhead
10-28-2016, 01:50 PM
Another angle... the flat TC plug should work... theoretically. One thing that helped my pistol bullet seating is switching to an M style expander. They make a cup in the case mouth instead of a bell so the bullets start seating straight!

I personally use RCBS. Lyman makes M dies too. For coated cast, 38 M expander might give the added case mouth diameter needed for cast. Or you could dabble with "cowboy" plugs that are slightly wider than standard. NOE makes some nifty M die plugs in many diameters that are used with Lee universal case mouth expanding die.

A bullets that starts straight has given me better seating results. As does seating and crimping at separate stations/steps.