PDA

View Full Version : Ring on Boolit After Sizi

442man
10-17-2016, 01:25 PM
I am getting a ring on the top of the boolit when I size and lube. I using the Lyman 4500 with mould no. 457132 535 grain Postell with no. 132 top punch. Size die is .459 Im relatively new to BPCR shooting so is this normal and will it effect accuracy? Pic attached. 1st one unsized.
Thanks

s mac
10-17-2016, 01:28 PM
It's where your nose punch is contacting. I wouldn't sweat it.

runfiverun
10-17-2016, 02:10 PM
it won't affect accuracy all that much.
but you can fix it by either not allowing the ring to make contact with the boolit or by removing the ring.

to cover it up a simple mix of JB weld placed in the nose area of the punch and a waxed boolit nose is placed in there to form the punch to the correct shape.
the weld is allowed to dry which makes it conform to the boolit.
you might need to widen the ring out a touch to insure it isn't showing through the JB weld.
you can do this in the sizer to insure the alignment is correct.

or you just polish the ring out and keep checking until the punch is a good fit to the boolit.

gwpercle
10-17-2016, 02:24 PM
Even though the nose punches are supposed to fit , most of the time they don't.
A custom fitted punch will fix it, J B Weld Epoxy Putty can also be used, it doesn't drip and run into places it shouldn't .
I always try to use a boolit with a flat spot on it , then a flat punch works like a champ.
A flat punch is easy to create , fill the nose punch with J B Weld , let harden and file/sand flat....easy to do.
Gary

442man
10-17-2016, 04:20 PM
Thanks gents for all the suggestions.
Best Regards