PDA

View Full Version : Uberti Bisley clone?

LIMPINGJ
10-17-2016, 12:12 PM
In the swap and sell section 35Whelen had a Cimarron Bisley for sale and in the description of the piece he said it had a hammer block safety at the first hammer click. I had thought the Italian clones were close copies of the original action and did not have the lawyer safties. How does this safety work and do the actions still feel like the originals? Thanks.

Walkingwolf
10-17-2016, 12:17 PM
The safeties are for import points, if they are anything like the Pietta 1873 the safety is a clone of the Ruger transfer bar safety. My Pietta 1873 has the same transfer bar, and the same spring loaded pin in the base pin. The Uberti will still have the half cock reloading notch that the Ruger does not have.

You may want to check with Uberti, his model may not have a safety. I checked Uberti's site and they are not listing a safety on that model. Though they do show transfer bar safeties on other models.

Some clones had a notch on the hammer but it cannot be trusted as a safety.

DougGuy
10-17-2016, 12:36 PM
There are no transfer bars in the Uberti with hammer block safety.

Uberti has two types of hammer blocking safties on their Colt SAA clones, one is a lengthened cylinder pin which in the rearward position prevents the hammer from traveling far enough forward to engage the firing pin. The other is a movable block in the hammer which falls when the hammer is pulled back to the first click and prevents the hammer from traveling far enough forward to engage the firing pin.

This hammer block safety is unobtrusive, you can barely see it, and the gun still spells out C-O-L-T to full cock.

bedbugbilly
10-18-2016, 12:09 AM
I haaave a Uverti 4 3/4 257 Bisket, The only hammer block it has is the extended cylinder pin - which can easily be shortened to do away with the "lawyerese" if desired. Mine was purchased through Uberti USA. If that Cimarron has a hammer block safety, Cimarron probably orders them that way I would imagine? I don't know as I've never really handled a Cimarron Uberti.

The revolver you mentioned is surely a nice one. Personally, I owuldn't care if it had a hammer block or not. They are great shooters - I love my Bisley and although I have a Uberti 7 1/2 SAA in 45 Colt, I'm seriously thinking of getting a Uberti Bisley in a 4 3/4 barrel 45 Colt. I find all of my Ubertis to be excellent quality and excellent shooters. And if I remember correctly, Uberti does offer a Cattleman SAA with a hammer block that is sold through such places as Sportsman Wrehouse, etc.

shoot-n-lead
10-18-2016, 12:13 AM
There are no transfer bars in the Uberti with hammer block safety.

Uberti has two types of hammer blocking safties on their Colt SAA clones, one is a lengthened cylinder pin which in the rearward position prevents the hammer from traveling far enough forward to engage the firing pin. The other is a movable block in the hammer which falls when the hammer is pulled back to the first click and prevents the hammer from traveling far enough forward to engage the firing pin.

This hammer block safety is unobtrusive, you can barely see it, and the gun still spells out C-O-L-T to full cock.

And, it is my understanding, that this "click" safety is not 100% drop proof. I have several with it...just not willing to drop them to find out and I will never trust them...cause...if it fails, it fires.

DougGuy
10-18-2016, 12:39 AM
And, it is my understanding, that this "click" safety is not 100% drop proof. I have several with it...just not willing to drop them to find out and I will never trust them...cause...if it fails, it fires.

I still only load 5 and let the hammer rest on the empty chamber.

If you happen to catch the scene in "The Shootist" where one Mr. J. B. Books (John Wayne) is leaving his room in preparation for the showdown at the Metropol, the last thing he does is load the empty chamber and let the hammer down carefully between the cases.

shoot-n-lead
10-18-2016, 12:49 AM
I still only load 5 and let the hammer rest on the empty chamber.

If you happen to catch the scene in "The Shootist" where one Mr. J. B. Books (John Wayne) is leaving his room in preparation for the showdown at the Metropol, the last thing he does is load the empty chamber and let the hammer down carefully between the cases.

Most of the time, I load my Ruger's...load one, skip a chamber and load four more. I do this out of habit, because I carry and shoot my clones more than the Ruger's...when I reach into the safe for a sixgun to carry in the woods, it will be one of the Cimarron's, about 90% of the time. I just like'em, they will work for anything (deer or hog) that I need a sixgun to do...and Ruger still can't duplicate that "feel"...in my hand and the trigger ain't even in the same league with the Cimarron.

35 Whelen
10-19-2016, 06:09 AM
Here's what the safety on the Uberti's looks like when engaged with the hammer pulled back to the first "click":

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/Ubertihammer_zps963a9dcf.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Single%20Actions/Ubertihammer_zps963a9dcf.jpg.html)

Like someone else said, it's very unobtrusive and I cannot imagine how, when engaged, the revolver couple possibly fire as theblock prevents the hammer from moving forward.

35W

2ndAmendmentNut
10-19-2016, 05:58 PM
A pair of Ubertis I purchased new about 3-4 years ago had the same hammer safety as shown in 35 Whelen's post. They also had the longer cylinder pin.

The instruction manual indicated that the safety on the hammer was to be used in unison with the cylinder pin safety. I don't know anyone that has ever deliberately used the cylinder safety. I have seen a number of used Ubertis with the rear of the cylinder pin badly mushroomed from somebody accidentally inserting the pin to the second notch.

The hammer safety isn't bad, but I still didn't like it. I switched out the hammers with the Uberti "no-safety" variants sold by Brownells. I also swapped out the cylinder pins for some of the Belt Mountain ones.

Interestingly, the various Uberti and Pietta Colt clones that are offered through Cimarron have the original or "old style" hammers. Well, at least my Cimarron Model P (Uberti) and my Frontier (Pietta) have the old style hammers. Not sure about the top breaks and various cartridge conversion revolvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwpercle
10-19-2016, 06:22 PM
I haaave a Uverti 4 3/4 257 Bisket, The only hammer block it has is the extended cylinder pin - which can easily be shortened to do away with the "lawyerese" if desired. Mine was purchased through Uberti USA. If that Cimarron has a hammer block safety, Cimarron probably orders them that way I would imagine? I don't know as I've never really handled a Cimarron Uberti.

The revolver you mentioned is surely a nice one. Personally, I owuldn't care if it had a hammer block or not. They are great shooters - I love my Bisley and although I have a Uberti 7 1/2 SAA in 45 Colt, I'm seriously thinking of getting a Uberti Bisley in a 4 3/4 barrel 45 Colt. I find all of my Ubertis to be excellent quality and excellent shooters. And if I remember correctly, Uberti does offer a Cattleman SAA with a hammer block that is sold through such places as Sportsman Wrehouse, etc.

Can you show a photo of the Uverti 4 3/4 257 Bisket....I'm not familar with this.

35 Whelen
10-19-2016, 06:42 PM
Can you show a photo of the Uverti 4 3/4 257 Bisket....I'm not familar with this.

Great revolvers, but the caliber is a bit small and my wife's gravy tends to gum up the works. :mrgreen:

35W

Piedmont
10-22-2016, 07:39 PM
35 Whelen, I noticed in another thread that you own both an original Colt Bisley and then that Uberti version you just sold. How close to original did Uberti get the grip, trigger, and hammer configuration? Sometimes it looks to me like they got the lines wrong, but I don't have either version. Actually first generation Colts are a bit rich for my blood so if I ever get a Bisley it will be a Uberti, but only if they got the lines and feel right. Any input is appreciated.

35 Whelen
10-22-2016, 09:29 PM
35 Whelen, I noticed in another thread that you own both an original Colt Bisley and then that Uberti version you just sold. How close to original did Uberti get the grip, trigger, and hammer configuration? Sometimes it looks to me like they got the lines wrong, but I don't have either version. Actually first generation Colts are a bit rich for my blood so if I ever get a Bisley it will be a Uberti, but only if they got the lines and feel right. Any input is appreciated.

If there's any difference you'd probably have a set of calipers to find jt. I can't tell any difference whatsoever.

35W

bedbugbilly
10-22-2016, 11:24 PM
gw - sorry . . . my "po faux"! :-) My posting should have read uBerti 357 . . . NOT "uverti 257"!!! Duh! Chalk it up to fat fingers or old age! LOL One thing I hate is when this $#%$# computer puts in what it "thinks" I meant to say. As for the Biskets . . . I think chewing on a Bisley would be a little tough on the teeth!

At any rate, here are some photos. All I can say is I love mine! Sorry for the mistakes in my original post!

Piedmont
10-23-2016, 12:04 AM
If there's any difference you'd probably have a set of calipers to find jt. I can't tell any difference whatsoever.

35W

Excellent. Thank you.