PDA

View Full Version : EGW Undersize sizing dies?

AbitNutz
10-17-2016, 09:23 AM
This is new to me...anyone familiar with undersize pistol dies? I'm not sure of the purpose for these and how you would decide you need one.
Is this the handgun equivalent of "Small Base" rifle dies?

AbitNutz
10-17-2016, 12:31 PM
Seems like most everyone else is as confused by these as I am.

mdi
10-17-2016, 12:52 PM
This is the first reference I've read about "undersize pistol" dies...:(

2ndAmendmentNut
10-17-2016, 05:44 PM
Sounds like a marketing gimmick to me, just like the small base rifle dies. If you have a chamber that is in spec there is no reason to have undersized dies. Keep in mind there are hundreds of new reloaders buying up equipment and components with the upcoming election. Some less experienced reloaders probably like the sound of "undersized."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dansedgli
10-17-2016, 06:09 PM
I use one in 9mm and 40s+w.

My rejects due to bulged cases have gone down to almost zero per thousand when I was having 9 or 10 before in 9mm.

I find that it serves the same function as push through sizing in 40sw but I can put it in station 1 on my 1050 and not have a seperate single stage process. I resize these to 357 sig in station 2.

Not totally necessary but case gauging is far more successful with it.

I was using dillon dies before which do not size down as far as some others so standard Lee dies might be enough to solve the problems above. I haven't tried

jetinteriorguy
10-24-2016, 09:18 PM
I use range brass for my 9mm and in my Lc9s had no problems with normal sizing dies. The same for my JR Carbine. But in my M&P and my Taurus PT111G2 I had problems with rounds not going into battery and getting stuck in the chamber. A lot of range brass is shot from guns with loose chambers and will spring back a little too much, but the undersize die fixed all that and I no longer have any problems with 9mm.