PDA

View Full Version : P.O. Ackley set of dies, question

Earl Brasse
06-09-2008, 02:18 AM
I have an old set of dies marked P.O. ACKELEY , 22 250 . The top the sizer has an S on either side of the top & the seater has an L in the same location. The sizer has a hex lock-ring with set screw (alan), while the seater has a knurled lock-ring with set screw(alan).

I'm wondering when these were made & if they are something I should consider more collectable than for everyday use. (That is if I reloaded 22-250, seems I shoot most everything else. My latest project is .a 43 Mauser ) Any info. is appreciated. Thanks

STP22
06-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Earl,

While your die set is in fact older, have you determined whether or not it`s a standard FL set, or for his 22-250 Ackley Improved? It`s my understanding that there are more than one version of his wildcat...shoulder angle wise. It would be unwise to assume you have his original version.

As an example: I have an early 3 die set of FL RCBS dies that are marked 25 L&W SU. (Including the form die.) All three are date code stamped with a "C". I asked them what year they were manufactured so as to narrow down the "era". No such luck..."we don`t keep records on older die sets".

Seeing as how the form die is also stamped "06 to 25 L&W SU" I asked on more than one web board. In short, I got a positive response that said it was one of many of the early wildcat 25-06`s. (25 Souper in other words) Problem is that without the correct reamer, all I have is a useless 3 die set. No value really...

Seeing as you don`t load for the 22-250 now, you could ask someone from your area for some assistance?

NoDakJak
06-15-2008, 12:28 AM
STP22 You evidently have a forming die alright but the 25 Souper was one of the first wildcats made from the new 308 case. I still have one made by RCBS that I used to make 243 brass from milspec 308's. In the early 1960's I had a then still wildcat 25-06 bullelt on a Mauser action. I sized the cases with a 3006 die with the expander removed and used the backed off 25 Souper form die to size the neck. Can't remember any more what I used for bullet seating. Neil

Bret4207
06-15-2008, 08:21 AM
Ackely was in business from the 40's into the 80's. There's a lot of his stuff out there, but collectible? To someone like me it would have value, but I'm not aware of any great demand for his stuff. I suppose you could stick it on Ebay and with a little hype get a good price. Be neat to have something the man had touched.

STP22
06-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Neil,

Seeing as my form die was made to form the Souper from 30-06 brass, I would guess it set pre-dates the .308 Winchester (1952).

There`s a bit of hacksaw use needed to get to the intended length prior to FL sizing afterwards.

Oh well...

STP (Scott)

Drilling Man
06-16-2008, 07:51 PM
I visited him a few times in his shop, and he was full of info and stories... I really enjoyed my visits with him, and also talking to him on the phone...

He built me a 240 Wby. on a 700 Rem. action, that i still have... I chose that cartridge as i wanted a long range coyote/wolf gun. It's 26" bbl that Ackley made, is very accurate and has even put some meat in my freezer when i'd take it to the temporate rain forest along Alaska's coast for blk. tails...

He autographed a couple books and gave them to me too, they are around here someplace...

DM

Earl Brasse
06-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Bret4207, that's about where I'm @ just kind of neat to have around. They look good next to some of my 1930's & 40's reloading manuals.