PDA

View Full Version : S&B Small pistol primers with Dillon 1050

dverna
10-16-2016, 08:55 PM
Is anyone using the S&B small pistol primers in the Dillon 1050 and having any issues. I want to stock up another 50k primers in the next few weeks. They are less expensive so that is the reason I am looking at them.

Thanks

Don Verna

jmorris
10-16-2016, 09:23 PM
I haven't had any problems with them.

AbitNutz
10-16-2016, 09:35 PM
Believe it or not, Dillon recommends S&B, at least for the 650. I called last week for some stuff and got into a discussion with the tech about primers and what brands run the best. He said Remington or S&B. I was a it stunned since S&B are foreign. I haven't tried any yet but I'll pick some up and see.

Now remember...this was in discussion about a 650, not a 1050...but Dillon likes S&B.

VHoward
10-16-2016, 10:15 PM
That's funny because I just used up some S&B small rifle primers that refused to feed through my XL650 reliably. I ended up seating all 5000 of those primers by hand. In my XL650, they would skip a primer every once in a while or not feed at all. Tried cleaning the primer system and tension on the screw on part that holds the inner primer tube in place. Never did figure that out. My next 5000 primers are CCI small rifle and 200 of those just fed through without issue.

sargenv
10-16-2016, 11:54 PM
I found that the S&B primers were a bit oversized and I needed to seat them a lot harder than say Winchesters or Fiocchi's. I've since switched a majority if my loads over to Fiocchi and have not looked back. Some people can make the S&B's work, but they are getting harder to find.. and I think they may no longer be importing them.. All I can find tend to be the large pistol or Large Rifle with Small rifle and Small pistol being impossible.. they are listed on gunbot but when you go to the website, they no longer have them in stock.

Sgtonory
10-17-2016, 12:30 AM
Loaded a few thousand in my 1050 no issues. All experience is with there small pistol primers

AbitNutz
10-17-2016, 03:39 AM
You know, I hate it when experienced people like us get inconsistent results or information. Like I said, I was a bit stunned when the Dillon guy said S&B. I don't know if I should try them or not now.

Mytmousemalibu
10-17-2016, 04:59 AM
Ran a couple thousand through my 650, no issues for me loading or shooting them. Giving some cheap Tula primers a go now for my penny pincher 9mm minor/production division loads, also going 100%.

jmorris
10-17-2016, 08:13 AM
In my XL650, they would skip a primer every once in a while or not feed at all.

I have never had a 650 act like that no matter what primer I was using.

S&B primers have been fine for me in the 650, 550 and SD too, I don't really like their brass in them though. The pockets are a little tighter than other brands and it always gives me pause because things don't feel the same. It is good brass though but on the machines where primers are seated by feel I prefer to sort them and load them together.

I also long ago started sorting with a magnet too when I discovered that some S&B 9mm cases are brass plated steel.

DerekP Houston
10-17-2016, 08:17 AM
not a dillon, but i've been running em in my LnL AP with no issues at all.

LUBEDUDE
10-17-2016, 08:47 AM
Believe it or not, Dillon recommends S&B, at least for the 650. I called last week for some stuff and got into a discussion with the tech about primers and what brands run the best. He said Remington or S&B. I was a it stunned since S&B are foreign. I haven't tried any yet but I'll pick some up and see.

Now remember...this was in discussion about a 650, not a 1050...but Dillon likes S&B.

I wonder if Dillon recommends SB because there are fewer or no machine blow ups with them, maybe because SB is a "harder" primer??

Shawlerbrook
10-17-2016, 08:49 AM
Current issue of Handloader has an article on S&B rifle primers.

dverna
10-17-2016, 07:58 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Jmorris, I have the same issue with their brass and cull it out.

Due to the mixed reviews, I will buy a thousand primers and test them before placing my order.

Don Verna

DerekP Houston
10-17-2016, 08:12 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Jmorris, I have the same issue with their brass and cull it out.

Due to the mixed reviews, I will buy a thousand primers and test them before placing my order.

Don Verna

that's barely gettin' your beak wet :D go for 10k ;)

AbitNutz
10-18-2016, 01:30 AM
I wonder if Dillon recommends SB because there are fewer or no machine blow ups with them, maybe because SB is a "harder" primer??

The Dillon guy said the S&B's shape made them feed better in the 650 as I recall but the conversation was centered around blowing up a 650's primer system.

LUBEDUDE
10-18-2016, 10:27 AM
The Dillon guy said the S&B's shape made them feed better in the 650 as I recall but the conversation was centered around blowing up a 650's primer system.

Thanks! That's good information. :)