PDA

View Full Version : King peep sight part

richhodg66
10-16-2016, 04:46 PM
Amongst a bunch of sight parts I got is a King peep sight which fits a Remington 141. I want desperately to have a peep sight on this rifle so I can shoot it better. This one appears to be in great shape except it is missing a spring or something that keeps the sight up (it folds down like a lot of tang sites).

It looks to me like it would be some kind of a flat spring about 1/4" wide and maybe 5/8" to 3/4" long. Anybody have recommendations on who could fabricate one of these or would it be difficult to do myself?

Mk42gunner
10-16-2016, 05:54 PM
Seems to me that it would be simpler to make the spring yourself, since you have the sight in hand and can make it to fit the application.

As for spring stock, you can buy a variety of widths and thicknesses, or scrounge some from an old windup clock, preferably one that no longer works. How thick does it need to be?

Robert

richhodg66
10-16-2016, 07:33 PM
No idea. Part of the problem. Guess I'll need to mess around with it and figure it out.

It's a good sight and I'm sure it would improve this rifle's performance, or mine anyway.

richhodg66
10-16-2016, 11:55 PM

This is a listing from one of their old catalogs with the sight I have if it helps.

justashooter
10-18-2016, 03:32 PM
a piece of narrow steel pallet banding strip, or a hacksaw blade, would be the correct thickness and temper, probably. shaping by gripping with vise grip and holding against side of bench grinder wheel, and drilling with a titanium nitride coated drill bit from your local hardware store.

I have a pair of 14's in 35 Remington that have marbles peep sights. makes them much faster. folks round here used to call them "potter county machine guns".

richhodg66
10-19-2016, 06:45 PM
I found a guy who was highly recommended on several forums for repairing old Marble's sights, he's working on it to see what he can do.

I really like the rifle, but I don't shoot open sights well and refuse to scope it.

richhodg66
11-04-2016, 10:42 PM
I just got this sight back and it's great now. The man's name is Mike Maracinni in Michigan and he fixed it and sent it back without even receiving payment before he did. I'm very happy with his work. It's good to know there are still people like that in the world.

Ballistics in Scotland
11-05-2016, 06:04 AM
Had you not done so, it is easy to make. Just heat a piece of spring till the colours change and disappear, then you can shape it as you like, including drilling with any kind of drill meant for metal. Then heat it to a fairly bright red and quench in water. At that stage it will be brittle as glass. Next cover it with mineral oil in a shallow vessel (the bottom of a drinks can is excellent), ignite it with a torch, and when the oil has burned away, you have a tempered spring.

richhodg66
11-05-2016, 02:56 PM
I probably could have, but I'm not nearly the craftsman a lot of you guys on here are. Anyway, as it turns out, I made a good contact and am pretty happy with the whole situation and it only cost about $40. Those King sights are rare apparently. The Lyman R14 sights for those rifles are pretty pricy, but the few of these I found data on were through the roof. Good thing I looked through that little junk box.