PDA

View Full Version : Modified 30 Carbine Mould

Shulse
10-16-2016, 01:33 PM

Hey guys, wanted to show you my new project. I have a Black Hawk in 30 Carbine. I have never liked the muzzle blast from it and have hand loaded lesser loads for it to make it tolerable. Several years ago I bought a Lee C309-113-F mould which uses gas checks. I made loads using Trail Boss and they work great but gas checking these loads is a waste of time and money. I studied the mould and thought of doing what others did- Drilling out the top of the mould where the gas check heal is to the .309" diameter. Then it occurred to me that I could just mill the top of the mould off to remove the heal area instead and this is the route I took. I milled .100" off the top of the mould. It now throws a 98 grain bullet using tire weight lead which I drop right out of the mould and into cold water. In the picture above, the bullet on the left is the original 113 grain GC bullet without a gas check installed. The bullet on the right is the shorter 98 grain bullet from the modified mould. I have not had a chance to load or shoot these yet but I wanted to show it anyway. I will post results when I try them out.