PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 38-40

Battis
10-16-2016, 01:14 PM
My friend inherited a Winchester 38-40 that's in great shape. I recently found some old 38-40 ammo with Remington UMC and WRA markings, but I have no idea how old the rounds are (some have corrosion on them). The bullets are 180 grs, the powder is smokeless (unknown type), approx. 11 grs. My friend wants to shoot the rifle.
I'm thinking that it makes sense to pull the bullets, dump the powder, deprime them and start over with a known powder load.
Or, might these old rounds be safe to shoot?

Wind
10-16-2016, 02:23 PM
Hey there Battis -- You guys might consider slugging the bore and getting an idea of the correct bullet diameter you'll need. The only extra step in your tear-down rebuild plan would be to order up some new Starline brass and just load up some fresh ammunition for the rifle. That way you'll know just what you have, with no unknown variables like corroded brass. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

Battis
10-16-2016, 06:52 PM
Here's the back story - the owner has never fired a gun in her life. She just wants to fire the rifle that was her father's. I don't think she'd get into regular shooting, and probably not reloading. If it were mine, and I wish it was, I'd slug the barrel, buy new brass (and dies) etc. (I'd also shoot that old ammo - it doesn't have any collector's value). I bought the 30 rounds for her to shoot the rifle so she can say she did. Maybe 5 rounds are pretty corroded, the rest look good. I just don't know what the powder is.

Wind
10-16-2016, 07:09 PM
Hey again Battis -- Seems to me a box of Black Hills cowboy loads might just be a prudent solution to the situation. Old rifles and ammunition can make for some interesting range trips! She, as a first time shooter, may appreciate a reduced potential for a "whoops" experience. Best regards. Wind

enfield
10-16-2016, 07:26 PM
Collector value or not, I wouldn't shoot it. You may end up with split cases ( fouling through the action ) or a bullet stuck halfway down the barrel.