PDA

View Full Version : Thought on this wildcat?

andym79
10-16-2016, 03:58 AM
Hi guys, I am looking at making my own wildcat, as you may have seen from other threads I have several ideas.

This is my latest idea, given the success I have had with 38 cal I thought it might be a good one.

Firstly has a "375 mag" been done before, I know a 375 super mag being 1.6" long has been done before.

Secondly if it has not what do you think of the idea.

Was very easy to cut down to length, only issue I see is neck thickness, brass measured .022" at the new neck, OD was .405" would the neck need to be turned down or reamed out to .016" thickness?

The case I propose is basically a 375W cut to 1.3", loaded with a .378" 210 grain bullet, with one of these type of loads behind:

Unique 5-8 grains depending on required velocity
2400 9-14 grains depending on required velocity
H4227 11-16 grains depending on required velocity
H4198 15-18 grains depending on required velocity

Thoughts please!

runfiverun
10-16-2016, 08:25 AM
Andy I don't know what to say.
I have the 375 super-Mag and the only way I'd be interested in a smaller version is if I could get it in a model 92.
I know the super mag will feed through the 375 Winchester rifles and have come close to modifying one of them to the shorter round but their initial cost slows me down a bunch.
anyway 6-8 hours to make 50 cases and load them keeps my interest on the super low side for a round that would mimic the 44 special.

Piedmont
10-16-2016, 09:35 AM
It has been done. Dale A. Kelling or Keeling did it and wrote it up in The Sixgunner, the bi monthly publication of Handgun Hunters International (JD Jones organization), back in the 1980s. That fellow converted a S&W N frame and used converted .30-30 cases. It worked fine. I think you should do it.

You might do an internet search on .375 DAK and turn something up.

longbow
10-16-2016, 10:36 AM
I had or maybe still have an old gun magazine (Guns and Ammo or Shooting Times I think) with an article on the .375 American (IIRC) which was a shortened .30-30 case for revolver use. It struck me as a logical and sensible development but I do not see any reference on the internet.

Not sure if it differed significantly from .375 super-mag but certainly similar idea.

Seems like a good idea to me. Readily available brass that is not a lot of work to reform and a nice mid range bore size. Bullet/boolit selection will be limited though as most .375's are bottle neck rifle cartridges. Accurate Molds can certainly make the mould you want and obviously you already have a mould.

Longbow

dverna
10-16-2016, 11:13 AM
There is rarely anything new when it comes to wildcats so a bit of research is a good idea. Most never amount to much as they offer so little upside that the cost and/or time are not worth the investment. But a few become commercial rounds and thus experimentation can be rewarding and useful.

I came very close to making a .30 Badger a while ago and corresponded with Edd on it. (BTW, he is a excellent guy!). After stewing over it for a few weeks I decided it was an interesting cartridge but not worth the investment - for me. So take some time and think hard about what a wildcat will do for you. There is no measure of the pride derived from doing something different that works well....so that may be the driving force.

One thing that is lacking from the OP is the WHY.

Don Verna

Blackwater
10-16-2016, 02:29 PM
I really hate to pour cold water on your enthusiasm, but many of us have been through these things, and at least they pass. There wouldn't be enough difference in trajectory or killing power to warrant it over say, a .41 mag., and the .41 would be SO much easier to work with. I've had a few wildcats, and they're fun, but sooner or later, it always comes through that they really don't do anything significant that standard rounds won't, especially in today's great variety of ctgs. for just about everything one could want.

I'd like to see CZ and Ruger make bolt actions for the 5.7x28. I've been bitten by that bug pretty bad, but at least it's a factory round. Good luck whatever you decide. These projects are always learning experiences, at their very worst, and kind'a fun when you're into just experimenting and "trying to see what'll happen."

RICHP
10-16-2016, 02:44 PM
Lee Martin owner of Single Actions.com has done the .375 Atomic it is a standard 1.40 in.case. He has wrote up an article there on his site.
Hi guys, I am looking at making my own wildcat, as you may have seen from other threads I have several ideas.

This is my latest idea, given the success I have had with 38 cal I thought it might be a good one.

Firstly has a "375 mag" been done before, I know a 375 super mag being 1.6" long has been done before.

Secondly if it has not what do you think of the idea.

Was very easy to cut down to length, only issue I see is neck thickness, brass measured .022" at the new neck, OD was .405" would the neck need to be turned down or reamed out to .016" thickness?

The case I propose is basically a 375W cut to 1.3", loaded with a .378" 210 grain bullet, with one of these type of loads behind:

Unique 5-8 grains depending on required velocity
2400 9-14 grains depending on required velocity
H4227 11-16 grains depending on required velocity
H4198 15-18 grains depending on required velocity

Thoughts please!

Skipper
10-16-2016, 02:59 PM
The case I propose is basically a 375W cut to 1.3"

Andy, if you're cuttin' down 375 Win brass, I'm gonna have to shoot you. :mrgreen:
Say it aint so.

andym79
10-16-2016, 04:26 PM
Andy, if you're cuttin' down 375 Win brass, I'm gonna have to shoot you. :mrgreen:
Say it aint so.

I did cut one down to make up that case, but it had done well and had a bit of a split in the neck. At the pressure the proposed round would operate at 30-30 brass would be cheaper and easier to get and if it were to ever get done that is the brass supply I would mostly likely use.

Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming.

pkie44
10-17-2016, 07:52 PM
I think it's a great idea. I've had this laying around for a couple of years waiting to find the right donor. Dies are cut down 375 Winchester, brass made from 30-30.:)

JSH
10-17-2016, 11:56 PM
I chased 375 super mags around myself for a while. I asked questions to folks that had experience with the 375's in wheel guns. Everyone of them told me to go with a 41 magnum for what I was expecting.
I did just that and have no regrets. If I had shot a 41 before the 44 I would say I would have several more 41's. I do see an FA in 41 mag in my future.
On the other hand,if Ruger were to come out with a 375 in a wheel gun I would have one. I really think the BFR line is missing out by not offering the old super mags. Their crazy long rifle length cylinders just don't interest me.