PDA

View Full Version : crimping swaged LR bullets

lead chucker
10-16-2016, 01:00 AM
How many of you guys crimp you 22 LR swaged bullets. I am loading some rounds up and was wondering if I should or not. I thought I read some where if it doesn't have a cannelure you don't need to crimp. What you say?

clodhopper
10-16-2016, 01:21 AM
Crimping usually goes better if you crimp in a cannalure.
You do not have to crimp when you have a cannalure.
Tube fed magazines, some semi-automatics, and heavy loaded revolver cartridges is about all I crimp.

lead chucker
10-16-2016, 02:40 AM
I will try crimping and see if it makes a difference in accuracy. I always crimp my cast boolit 44 mag loads. I had a boolit start to come out of a case once in my Red Hawk and you couldn't rotate the cylinder. Those definitely need it.

anotherred
10-16-2016, 09:38 PM
Lee Factory Crimp die for me. I got an extra hole in the progressive, so why not.

Bills Shed
10-16-2016, 10:58 PM
I run a hornet and do crimp but only because it improves the accuracy slightly, not because of recoil. I do not crimp anything else.
bill

DukeInFlorida
10-17-2016, 11:06 AM
If you full length size the 223 REM brass properly, there is no need to crimp at all.
The use of a crimp in rifle brass comes from either of two uses:
1) Cast lead boolits require a crimp to get the case mouth back to "normal" after bell mouthing (I prefer a Lyman "M" die for that purpose).
2) Military use in machine guns have bullets and primers crimped in place, just to prevent any occurrence of either backing out, which would cause a jammed machine gun.

When properly full length sized, the neck will hold onto the bullet with enough friction for all the powder to properly burn before the bullet leaves the case mouth.

If you feel strongly compelled to crimp, use a "Factory Crimp Die", Lee makes a good one. But be aware that the factory crimp will result in minor differences in the grip of the bullet in the neck, which will have a negative effect on accuracy. The movement of a cartridge through an AR magazine, up past the feed ramp, and into the chamber, will not cause the bullet or primer to move in the case. Otherwise, we'd also be re-crimping primers into place. That's just my two cents worth.

Prospector Howard
10-17-2016, 12:04 PM
Wrong. "Full length sizing" is not the critical issue in keeping the bullet in place on a bottle neck cartridge. It is neck tension. As long as the sizer being used, whether it's a full length sizer or neck only sizer has the right sized expander ball or mandrel; the bullet will be held in place properly for a lot of uses. Sizing the rest of the case has nothing to to with keeping the bullet in place. In firing a fully automatic weapon or semi auto, there isn't any difference in the way they feed the cartridge into the chamber from a magazine. If the bullet has a configuration that might catch on something as it is being fed into the weapon, it has the possibilty to push the bullet back into the case; and this is one of the main reasons for crimping it into place. In a bolt action firearm the cartridge is being fed in slow enough (unless you operate the bolt like a wild man) to not cause sudden pressure on the tip of the bullet to cause it to move, so in bolt action or single shot weapons it isn't generally necessary to crimp the bullet in place. When it comes to 22lr brass jacketed bullets, the Lee factory crimp die works really well if you plan on firing the bullets in a semi auto. You don't need to put a cannelure on the bullet as the Lee factory crimp die will basically crimp the case mouth and the bullet at the same time, and the bullet will be held into place quite well. Also, most everyone knows that you'll want to full length size the cases if you're shooting a semi auto, for other obvious reasons. Just neck sizing is really the way to go in bolt actions and single shots after you've fire formed the case in the rifle. The Lee collet dies are the best I've found for just neck sizing. Be aware though, that the mandrel that comes with the die is sometimes a little oversized and has to be sanded down (very carefully) to get the right neck tension.

reed1911
10-22-2016, 06:39 AM
When properly full length sized, the neck will hold onto the bullet with enough friction for all the powder to properly burn before the bullet leaves the case mouth.

I think you meant to say "...enough friction for the powder to properly ignite..." They way it is written (to me) sounds more like all the powder will be consumed before the bullet leaves the case.