PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1892 Miroku in 45 Colt,results

Randy Bohannon
10-15-2016, 10:30 PM
The Longranger post on the Winchester 1892 is mine. Long story of having to open a new acct. due to an defunct email acct.
I wanted to post some of my results with this rifle and kind of do a review of what I have found and favor. I do admit to being biased toward the Winchesters. I have two others,1956 94 32 Spcl. and a early 94 B.B. in 375 Win.
I find no faults in the fit,finish and function of this 92,deep rich bluing and nicely polished metal.Wood is plain tight grained walnut with a pleasing oil finish.Action is smooth and zero problems cycling the three different bullet I have ran through it. Took some time to get the sights adjusted so I could shoot some groups.
First were some target loads I had for my Colt SAA 6.5 grs. Unique with a RCBS 255 gr. .454 mold. they didn't shoot all that great but I was able to get a basic elevation adjusted.
Next was some Missouri Bullet .452 SWC hard cast and 10.grs. of Unique didn't shoot all that well.I was probably lucky I didn't lead up the barrel. I tried some 2400 @ 20.0grs. snappy load and didn't shoot good either.
I had a box of Mt Baldy hard cast 310gr. bullets @.452. I started with 17.5 grs.IMR 4227 and was pleasantly surprised how well they shot,first three holes were touching. I put fifty rounds through it the first time out and the rifle was flawless.
Today I loaded up 25 more rounds the 310gr. bullets and 21.0 grs. of IMR 4227.These shot very well @50 yards as well.The target shows some promise for me and the rifle.
I have mold ordered from Accurate 45-300AG @.456.
I pushed a 454 round ball through the barrel and it lightly touched the bore,like I was loading a cap and ball revolver.So a typical oversize Win. bore.But it does shoot a hard cast 310gr. sized .452 pretty good.
The high and low shots were me getting my sight picture then the rest were hitting where I was aiming.
I have begun researching what aperture sight I want to put on it,I like the Skinner so far and appears most people who have them really like them.All of my Win's have stock sights so this will be my first venture into aftermarket for the lever guns.God Bless.

Ramjet-SS
10-15-2016, 11:15 PM
I am a huge fan of Skinner Sights I have 6 of them on different rifles and just ordered one today for my Henry Big Boy Carbine in 357. Looks like you have a start to an excellent adventure in lever action rifles and boolits.

Randy Bohannon
10-15-2016, 11:29 PM
Thank you, this is my first non 94 and I think another 92 in 44-40 is in my future.One sweet handling rile, I am comfortable enough to take it to a creek bottom and pop a whitetail.